• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

The fast flows go both ways as far as limitations and corrections, though.

Just because there is a warm, underpinning height anomaly stretching from Hawaii to Spain ...eh hm, doesn't mean there has to be warm air at mid latitudes, particularly when the velocities everywhere are such that commercial airlines are handed out record breaking West to East land-air-speed records like Pez candies. What was the recent one 801 mph.  Jesus... one could take off JFK at 5:30 am and make the 8:50 meeting in London 

Ridges don't tend to be very amplified in the spatial orientation in rasp atmospheres, either. Troughs are forced to shallow out because the fast flow absorbs mechanical power and saps the wave strength.  Ridges can't balloon in latitude as prodigiously, either, because the x-y coordinate wind stream mitigates storm --> latent heat release reduces, and the ridges stay flat.  I mean that's the ultra watered down description.  The models seem to have to keep correcting for either of these scenarios pretty routinely ...

That's why we've seen what... four different times when the models were attempting these pig warm bubbles over eastern N/A since mid Novie, yet we've verified all of them as 55 F mist. It sucks...and a kick in the winter-nuts for snow enthusiasts, true...but I don't care about that. I'm talking about the behavior of modeling versus verfication.  They've tended to be not more than, or last longer than 24 hours.  Maybe this time will be different - mm I doubt it ( which means it will and the first 83 F day in Logan ever in January is about to take place..).

Anywho... I think much in the same way the troughs are minoring out and their storms ... weakening and trending east relative to mid range modeling tempos,  as mid ranges near ridges will tend to pancake and we'll end up with briefer warm intrusions.

29 minutes ago, weathafella said:

On the long range,,,,today’s GEFS has a really nice pacific in the long range.   Hopefully a precursor to an improved Atlantic.

I can't wait until whatever isn't going to happen mid week, doesn't happen, so we can enjoy a nice weekend and focus on the improving look for the second half.

January is a "fast forward" month this year...has looked that way since fall.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I can't wait until whatever isn't going to happen mid week, doesn't happen, so we can enjoy a nice weekend and focus on the improving look for the second half.

January is a "fast forward" month this year...has looked that way since fall.

I dunno, I feel like January being a fast forward month is not exclusive to this season. We have been here before.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

50s vs 60s?

That, right there ...is the tedious egregious nature of this engagement    lol.

Watching the formulation of rationalization ( denial of truth ) by spinning things up down, left right ..whatever, that is the delusional process unfolding.  That's what drive me to distraction...

It's like 20" of snow is about to strike the megalopolis from DC to Maine, and someone says, "So, we get through a few inches of snow, and then it's spring - I can deal with that. It's not so bad" or whatever they need to polish them minds from having to accept -

Shut it!  stop -    :lmao:

44 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

I dunno, I feel like January being a fast forward month is not exclusive to this season. We have been here before.

2006-2007 Winter weather didn't start until February. I imagine some folks on here were taking toaster bath's with that Winter. What a complete 180, tons of snow in February, March and April.

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ok well looking ahead, we have Scandi ridging finally developing. It also looks like the PV finally gets stretched and is not concentric anymore. That’s usually a sign things are going on above. Sometimes Scandi ridging helps get that process started. 

1ED03892-8A6F-482A-8B91-105DE2294D43.png

I read your post to him. Great stuff. Let’s hope the Scandinavian ridge can get the wave 1 hits going.