• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    queenofscience
    Newest Member
    queenofscience

Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

9F has been my low on season back on December 8th.  Am at that now.  Also one day of 10F as well.  Pretty meh on the cold for a radiator.

It’s funny how perceptions are because I did not look at the thermometer this morning before I went out with the dog and I was thinking to myself it was 10 or 15° out. 

This cold stretch is good though because the pond ice was not trustable.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s funny how perceptions are because I did not look at the thermometer this morning before I went out with the dog and I was thinking to myself it was 10 or 15° out. 

Yeah, I knew it was 0F when I left the house this morning, but with no wind it wasn't bad at all.  Wind will do it every  time.

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Doesn't appear as though people will be able to pond skate around these parts this year.

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Doesn't appear as though people will be able to pond skate around these parts this year.

I couldn't believe it when I saw people ice fishing last sunday (during the blowtorch)at the pond near me...

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Doesn't seem like we've had much snow this season yet PWM (by 14") and CAR are above avg. BGR running avg.

My average for snowfall thru Jan 21 is 39.57", so this season couldn't be any closer to average so far.  We'll be about 2" BN when/if the weekend storm arrives.  It was about -10 at 5 this morning but warmed a few degrees until the lights went out at 6:20 - police were headed north on Starks Road (Rt 134) so I wonder if someone hit a pole up there.

Sledder went thru the ice on Moosehead over the weekend - rode too close to the mouth of the Moose River.   He was pulled out fairly soon but not soon enough - pronounced dead at Greenville Hospital.  I think it's the season's 1st snowsled-in-water fatal this season.

9 hours ago, MetHerb said:

This would be amazing to see around here.  I can't imagine the media frenzy a storm like this would generate here.

1978.   My street was cleared by the National Guard.  Heavy equipment, mega sized front end loaders because the town equipment couldn’t do it. 

28 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

1978.   My street was cleared by the National Guard.  Heavy equipment, mega sized front end loaders because the town equipment couldn’t do it. 

Yeah, I remember hearing stories like that.  Not around here, but certainly in eastern areas.  If that happened today I'm sure it would be covered very differently.

48 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My dad was an army officer the time, got the call... the pictures of him on the front end loaders and the snow were ridiculous. 

A little trigger happy in Worcester.  lol

With snow in the forecast for Saturday afternoon into Sunday, a parking ban will go into effect in Worcester at 2 p.m. Saturday.

According to the National Weather Service, the first flakes will be seen in Worcester about 4 p.m. Saturday, with the city geting from 4-6 inches by the time the storm ends overnight. The Fitchburg area could see 6-8 inches.

Parking in municipal garages is free during the ban.

• Like 1

Just venting, I look forward to winter outlooks every year, I work outside for a living and come Labor Day so done with high humidity etc. Days are getting longer, I just think if nothing major by my birthday (Feb. 11) I'm throwing the towel in........they just delivered  a new wing plow for our small wheel loader yesterday, $22K later (need deductions) oh well, maybe next year 

9 minutes ago, 512high said:

Just venting, I look forward to winter outlooks every year, I work outside for a living and come Labor Day so done with high humidity etc. Days are getting longer, I just think if nothing major by my birthday (Feb. 11) I'm throwing the towel in........they just delivered  a new wing plow for our small wheel loader yesterday, $22K later (need deductions) oh well, maybe next year 

If I remember correctly you do snow removal. Do snow removal companies take a massive hit as there has been very little snow? Down here in CT there are front end loaders parked all over in parking lots that have not moved all winter.

On a good note it looks like natural gas and heating oil have been plummeting in price.