Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Classic want your cake and eat it too. God forbid you sacrifice to improve it. Of course we want to improve it but don't act like you are on a higher moral ground 

Dude, just because some advocate for green energy doesn’t mean they will drive solar powered cars and grow all their food in their organic gardens. We’re all part of a larger society. Societal changes need public support. Public support impacts public policy. Governments lead the charge when costs are prohibitive for private industry. Eventually private industry joins the market with ideas once costs make the alternative forms of energy feasible. 

Until that energy revolution, even green energy proponents will drive gas powered cars and go to Market Basket. And yes, communicate with the outside world with smart phones. Conference calls with cups and string would be the real logistical nightmare!

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

Dude, just because some advocate for green energy doesn’t mean they will drive solar powered cars and grow all their food in their organic gardens. We’re all part of a larger society. Societal changes need public support. Public support impacts public policy. Governments lead the charge when costs are prohibitive for private industry. Eventually private industry joins the market with ideas once costs make the alternative forms of energy feasible. 

Until that energy revelation, even green energy proponents will drive gas powered cars and go to Market Basket. And yes, communicate with the outside world with smart phones. Conference calls with cups and string would be the real logistical nightmare!

Toxic Leaching

The Natural Resources Defense Council observes that lead, mercury and cadmium found in personal electronic devices such as mobile phones can “release dangerous toxins into our air and water when burned or deposited in landfills improperly.” In these situations, there can be significant environmental impacts. For example, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports that ecosystems near point sources of lead often demonstrate biodiversity loss, decreased growth and reproductive rates, and neurological effects in vertebrates.

1 minute ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Until that energy revolution, even green energy proponents will drive gas powered cars and go to Market Basket. And yes, communicate with the outside world with smart phones. Conference calls with cups and string would be the real logistical nightmare!

Nah, he's a moderate because he uses carrier pigeons to send emails.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Toxic Leaching

The Natural Resources Defense Council observes that lead, mercury and cadmium found in personal electronic devices such as mobile phones can “release dangerous toxins into our air and water when burned or deposited in landfills improperly.” In these situations, there can be significant environmental impacts. For example, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports that ecosystems near point sources of lead often demonstrate biodiversity loss, decreased growth and reproductive rates, and neurological effects in vertebrates.

So...you’re saying we should make it easier to recycle old smart phones?  Or we should research alternative ways of producing phones because of their ill effects on the environment?  

Hmm...substitute smart phone with fossil fuels in the above statement and you agree we need to get off petroleum. 

And for coldmiser...obviously we’d need to ween ourselves off petroleum. We’re addicted. It will come though. Those in the fossil fuel industry will figure out how to make money with green energy. I’m confident in that. 

I ain't the one worrying 

My point exactly here. You are allowed your opinion on environment because you don't care about owning a phone, but I can't have an opinion because I do.

If you want to go down with the "climate change is natural" ship, by all means brother. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Bring back the pony express?

Average person discards a cell phone every 18 months. Theres a consumption problem with technology.  Those worried about carbon should do their part to change policy but also should lead by example.  I love the Al Gores of the world who preach carbon reduction while living in a home that uses more carbon than 10 of our houses.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The funny thing is that one could argue smart phones and devices are having an effect on reducing things like emissions. Many meetings can be perfectly held remotely. No longer need to be physically there. I can sit there in my footy PJs...maybe even nothing at all. 

A little surprised you even have bottoms on.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The funny thing is that one could argue smart phones and devices are having an effect on reducing things like emissions. Many meetings can be perfectly held remotely. No longer need to be physically there. I can sit there in my footy PJs...maybe even nothing at all. 

Exactly. I work from home 4 days a week. That’s a big reduction in my carbon footprint. I’ve had many a conference calls in footy pajamas. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes but as I said no free lunch. It's so easy to say what the fix is without worrying about are the ramifications.  

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Average person discards a cell phone every 18 months. Theres a consumption problem with technology.  Those worried about carbon should do their part to change policy but also should lead by example.  I love the Al Gores of the world who preach carbon reduction while living in a home that uses more carbon than 10 of our houses.

Politicians that exhibit hypocritical behavior?  Oh the humanity!  

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

I guess it depends on the dog size, I have a small dog, I do it weekly.

8 dogs, 3 big,5 small and always a foster or 2 in a 1.5 acre fenced in yard. We are very diligent about it. They tend to do their business in the back. I have a scoop and bag system and then its trashed. 

Then I lead by example. I've had this phone for at least 5 years. 

Most politicians are egotistical frauds. But that doesn’t mean some don’t push the right solutions for some things...

It doesn’t have to be good intentions that produces the best path forward. You know the old saying anyways, “the path to hell is paved with good intentions”.  

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Most politicians are egotistical frauds. But that doesn’t mean some don’t push the right solutions for some things...

It doesn’t have to be good intentions that produces the best path forward. You know the old saying anyways, “the path to hell is paved with good intentions”.  

Amen.