Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,508
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
    Joined
bluewave

July 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The thick smoke from the Canadian wildfires is really filtering the sunshine today.

 

EC3FECB5-0BDC-467B-BE43-D7DE54D43B97.thumb.jpeg.1fd161b4d64f85086965e300a48b6f43.jpeg

Yep, John posted on this.  Wonder if it keeps temps down just a tad today due to it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bluewave said:

The Central Park data is flawed due to the sensor being blocked by trees and foliage from sunlight and open airflow. Not because it’s located in a park. The open areas of the park  are probably 1-3 degrees warmer for highs than the sensor area that is blocked. The old sensor was in an open area before 1996 with no obstructions. This is why NYC has an artificial 90 degree day cooling trend with more 90 degree days in 1991 and 1993 than 2010.

Place sensors at a horizontal distance of 2 times the height of the nearest object (tree,
structure, etc). [Example: 40 feet away from a 20 foot tall tree].

B7509AEE-1193-47DD-BB7C-C32CDA95FB26.thumb.jpeg.7adacd001697a5cb2101a8e65ca190ac.jpeg

I wish I could bookmark this post, I get sick of having to explain this to people outside of this board.

Central Park’s “cooling trend” is a go to for those in denial of climate change, they then blame warming trends elsewhere on airport runways.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insane how the -NAO is stuck in its negative phase, AO too. 

However blocking in mid summer tends to mean hot vs cool. Not sure if there's a link between -NAO summer vs winter.

Is 100F in the cards this month?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Insane how the -NAO is stuck in its negative phase, AO too. 

However blocking in mid summer tends to mean hot vs cool.

Is 100F in the cards this month?

I thought the blocking was falling apart?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I wish I could bookmark this post, I get sick of having to explain this to people outside of this board.

Central Park’s “cooling trend” is a go to for those in denial of climate change, they then blame warming trends elsewhere on airport runways.

central park has been on a warming trend for years...this decade could end up with the most 90+ days despite to much foliage...three of the last four years had at least 20 or more 90 degree days...the last time that happened was in the 1950's...

90 degrees days......
Season.....Apr May June.July.Aug Sept Oct..total

1869.........0.......0......0......1......2......0......0........3

1870.........0.......0......4......7......2......0......0......13

1871.........0.......1......2......1......0......0......0........4

1872.........0.......0......5......8......7......1......0......21

1873.........0.......0......3......6......1......0......0......10

1874.........0.......1......4......3......2......1......0......11

1875.........0.......0......4......0......0......0......0........4

1876.........0.......0......4....11......3......0......0......18

1877.........0.......0......0......1......1......0......0........2

1878.........0.......0......0......9......1......1......0......11

1879.........0.......0......3......5......2......0......0......10...104

1880.........0.......3......5......2......0......0......0......10

1881.........0.......2......0......1......5......3......0......11

1882.........0.......0......1......6......1......0......0........8

1883.........0.......0......2......5......0......0......0........7

1884.........0.......0......2......1......1......3......0........7

1885.........0.......0......1....10......1......0......0......12

1886.........0.......0......0......6......1......0......0........7

1887.........0.......0......1....10......0......0......0......11

1888.........0.......0......4......0......2......0......0........6

1889.........0.......1......1......0......0......0......0........3...82

1890.........0.......0......1......6......2......0......0........9

1891.........0.......0......5......1......4......1......0......11

1892.........0.......0......4......8......1......0......0......13

1893.........0.......0......4......4......4......0......0......12

1894.........0.......0......3......7......0......1......0......11

1895.........0.......3......3......4......6......7......0......23

1896.........1.......3......2......8....10......0......0......24

1897.........0.......0......0......5......0......3......0........8

1898.........0.......0......2......9......4......6......0......21

1899.........0.......0......7......5......4......0......0......16...147

1900.........0.......1......2......8......9......1......0......21

1901.........0.......0......5....10......1......0......0......16

1902.........0.......0......0......1......0......0......0........1

1903.........0.......0......0......6......0......0......0........6

1904.........0.......0......3......5......0......0......0........8

1905.........0.......0......1......7......3......0......0......11

1906.........0.......1......4......2......2......1......0......10

1907.........0.......0......2......3......2......0......0........7

1908.........0.......0......1......7......4......0......0......23

1909..........0.......0......4......2......4......0......0......10...113

1910..........0.......0......2......4......0......1......0........7

1911..........0.......0......0....10......5......0......0......15

1912..........0.......0......2......5......3......1......0......11

1913..........0.......0......2......6......4......0......0......12

1914...…...0...….2......2......4......3......5......0......16

1915...…...2...….0......1......4......0......5......0......12

1916...…...0...….0......0......5......6......1......0......12

1917...…...0...….0......0......4......2......0......0...…..6

1918...…...0...….2......2......5......8......0......0......15

1919...…...0...….1......3......7......1......2......0......14...120

1920...…...0...….0......2......4......2......0......0...…..8

1921...…...0...….0......4......8......1......2......0......15

1922...…...0...….0......3......3......3......1......0......10

1923...…...0...….0......8......3......3......0......0......14

1924...…...0...….0......1......3......7......2......0......13

1925...…...0...….0......9......4......3......0......0......16

1926...…...0...….0......0......5......5......0......0......10

1927...…...1...….0......0......6......0......1......1...…..9

1928...…...0...….0......0......5......8......0......0......13

1929...…...0...….1......5......9......2......4......0......21...129

1930...…...0...….3......5......5......4......0......0......18

1931...…...0...….3......4......5......5......5......0......22

1932...…...0...….1......3......7......3......1......0......15

1933...…...0...….1......5....10......4......1......0......21

1934...…...0...….1......3....11......0......0......0......15

1935...…...0...….0......0......6......4......0......0......10

1936...…...0...….4......1....10....10......1......0......26

1937...…...0...….1......2......8......7......4......0......22

1938...…...0...….0......2......3......9......0......1......15

1939...…...0...….4......3......4....11......0......1......23...187

1940...…...0...….0...…3....12......1......1......0......17

1941...…...0...….3...…7......6......6......5......2......29

1942..........1.......1.......0......3......3......4......0......12

1943..........0.......0.....11......8......7......2......0......28
1944..........0.......1.......5....17....11......3...…0......37.......................

1945..........0.......0.......8......2......6......2...…0.....18

1946..........0.......0.......4......4......0......1...…0.......9

1947..........0.......0.......1......1......7......0...…0.......9

1948..........0.......0.......2......6......5......0...…0.....13

1949..........0.......2.......7....13......7......0...…0.....29...201
1950..........0.......0.......4......2......0......0.......0......6..........
1951..........0.......1.......0......5......1......0.......0......7.........
1952..........0.......0.......6....14......1......3.......0.....24........
1953..........0.......1.......8....11......8......4.......0.....32........
1954..........0.......0.......3....12......2......0.......0.....17........

1955..........0.......1.......0....14....10......0.......0.....25........
1956..........0.......0.......5......2.....4.......0.......0.....11........
1957..........0.......0.......6....10.....3.......2.......0.....21........
1958..........0.......0.......0......4.....2.......0.......0.......6.........
1959..........0.......3.......5......3....13......3.......0.....27...176
1960..........0.......0.......0......1.....3.......1.......0.......5..........
1961..........0.......0.......3....12.....6.......8.......0.....29........
1962..........1.......3.......5......7.....2.......0.......0.....18........
1963..........0.......0.......5....11.....0.......0.......0.....16........
1964..........0.......2.......7......7.....4.......3.......0.....23........
1965..........0.......4.......5......4.....1.......1.......0.....15.......
1966..........0.......0.....10....16.....8.......1.......0.....35........
1967..........0.......0.......5......3.....1.......0.......0.......9.........
1968..........0.......0.......3......6.....8.......0.......0.....17.......

1969..........0.......2.......3......5.....5.......1.......0.....16...183
1970..........0.......2.......1......4.....8.......7.......0.....22........
1971..........0.......0.......5......6.....5.......2.......0.....18........
1972..........0.......0.......0....11.....3.......1.......0.....15.........
1973..........0.......0.......4......4.....6.......4.......0.....18........
1974..........0.......1.......1....10.....5.......0.......0.....17........
1975..........0.......1.......1......2.....4.......0.......0.......8.........
1976..........3.......0.......6......2.....4.......0.......0.....15........
1977..........1.......2.......0....11.....7.......2.......0.....23........
1978..........0.......1.......2......3.....5.......0.......0.....11........
1979..........0.......2.......0......7.....8.......1.......0.....18...165
1980..........0.......2.......1....11....15......3.......0.....32........
1981..........0.......0.......2....10......4......0.......0.....16........
1982..........0.......0.......0....11......0......0.......0.....11........
1983..........0.......0.......6....14......9......7.......0.....36.......
1984..........0.......0.......6......1......3......0.......0.....10.......
1985..........0.......0.......0......4......2......3.......0......9........
1986..........0.......3.......2......6......0......0.......0.....11.......
1987..........0.......4.......5......9......4......0.......0.....22.......
1988..........0.......1.......8....13....10......0.......0.....32.......
1989..........0.......0.......3......7......4......2.......0.....16...195
1990..........2.......0.......0......6......4......0.......0.....12.......
1991..........1.......5.......9....12....10......2.......0.....39.......
1992..........0.......2.......0......4......3......0.......0......9........
1993..........0.......1.......5....20....10......3.......0.....39.......
1994..........0.......1.......7......9......2......0.......0.....19.......
1995..........0.......0.......3....11....13......2.......0.....29.......
1996..........0.......2.......0......0......1......0.......0......3........
1997..........0.......0.......5......5......2......0.......0.....12.......
1998..........0.......0.......2......3......2......1.......0......8........
1999..........0.......0.......6....18......3......0.......0.....27...197
2000..........0.......3.......3......0......1......0.......0......7........
2001..........0.......3.......2......2......8......0.......0.....15.......
2002..........3.......0.......1....12....14......2.......0.....32.......
2003..........0.......0.......4......2......2......0.......0......8........
2004..........0.......0.......1......0......1......0.......0......2........
2005..........0.......0.......4......8......9......2.......0.....23.......
2006..........0.......0.......1......4......3......0.......0......8........
2007..........0.......2.......2......2......4......0.......0.....10.......
2008..........0.......0.......4......6......1......1.......0.....12.......
2009..........2.......0.......0......0......5......0.......0.......7...124
2010..........1.......1.......4....16....12......3.......0.....37........
2011..........0.......0.......3....14......3......0.......0.....20........
2012..........0.......0.......5....10......3......1.......0.....19........
2013..........0.......2.......3....10......1......1.......0.....17........

2014..........0.......0.......0......3......3......2.......0......8........

2015..........0.......0.......1......5......8......6.......0.....20........

2016..........0.......2.......0....10......7......3.......0.....22......

2017..........0.......3.......3......5......1......1.......0.....13..

2018..........0.......2.......3......6......7......3.......0.....21...

2019...…….0...…..0.......1......2...………………………….3...178... as of 7/8/19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm at 88 now...I can't remember the last time my barometer was above 30.00...it's 28.85 now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I'm at 88 now...I can't remember the last time my barometer was above 30.00...it's 28.85 now...

Your barometer...you in a hurricane now?:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Unusual pattern coming up. The 12z Euro gets the tropical system stuck under the building heat ridge. It crawls for days over the Central US dumping torrential rains. Acts as a heat and humidity pump for us with a deep SW flow.Temperatures in the 90’s with dewpoints in the 70’s will result in very high heat indices. Some hints at beneficial rains for us near the end of the 10 day period with the tropical remnants.

 

847348A1-A3A5-451F-ADD7-C2609C564A84.thumb.png.1d94e70201087ea54e0f7bf6f7e1cd27.png

7E6B4104-3A06-42AE-AF17-0ADFF959C36D.thumb.png.c23bd744c558677b74b654431d717f38.png

 

Yeah. I have noticed that we are always finding some sort of way for high dew points. Why is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

Yeah. I have noticed that we are always finding some sort of way for high dew points. Why is that?

Warmer atmosphere holds more moisture. It will be interesting to see if the tropical remnants get surrounded by +20C 850 temperatures.

 

A9C134E9-105C-4FBA-B79A-2C0630B7AA96.thumb.png.dd2e28ad4a06af51d0fd73713a47efa9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uofmiami said:

86.6 (87) for my high so far.

87.4 for the day in Syosset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

87.4 for the day in Syosset.

 

Same here, 87.4F. Probably would have made 89-90F, but for the Canadian smoke.

Low was 60.6F this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

 

Same here, 87.4F. Probably would have made 89-90F, but for the Canadian smoke.

Low was 60.6F this morning. 

Not sure what my High and Low was for the day, not far off from Syosset readings I’m sure.  Today was pretty close to a prefect summer day.   Cool morning, sunny day(save for some haze)warm afternoon and now cooling off nicely, albeit slowly.  And a dry day, low humidity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7/9:

EWR: 91
TEB: 90
JFK: 89
LGA: 89
New Brunswck: 88
TTN: 87
PHL: 87
NYC: 87
ISP: 87
ACY: 86
BLM: 86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, uofmiami said:

Yep, John posted on this.  Wonder if it keeps temps down just a tad today due to it. 

 

On my drive today up Rt 17 and ultimately to the central Fingerlakes the smoke density varied significantly. In some spots it was crystally clear and others it was quite the opposite. 

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

Unusual pattern coming up. The 12z Euro gets the tropical system stuck under the building heat ridge. It crawls for days over the Central US dumping torrential rains. Acts as a heat and humidity pump for us with a deep SW flow.Temperatures in the 90’s with dewpoints in the 70’s will result in very high heat indices. Some hints at beneficial rains for us near the end of the 10 day period with the tropical remnants.

 

847348A1-A3A5-451F-ADD7-C2609C564A84.thumb.png.1d94e70201087ea54e0f7bf6f7e1cd27.png

7E6B4104-3A06-42AE-AF17-0ADFF959C36D.thumb.png.c23bd744c558677b74b654431d717f38.png

 

Pumping that kind of heat up here where is the opposite occurring in the hemisphere? I think of these things as "balancers" regulating hemispheric temps so if we are pumping heat north somewhere is dumping cold south.

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

Warmer atmosphere holds more moisture. It will be interesting to see if the tropical remnants get surrounded by +20C 850 temperatures.

 

A9C134E9-105C-4FBA-B79A-2C0630B7AA96.thumb.png.dd2e28ad4a06af51d0fd73713a47efa9.png

Uncomfortably ugly thought...   :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next 8 days averaging 80degs., or 3.5degs. AN.

July is looking like a shoe-in for TTen, which is +3.1, especially with the heat that may come Week 3.   Meanwhile analogs put Aug. at Normal and Sept.-Oct. BN.    In fact a snowy Week 2 in Oct. looks doable.   Our earliest Trace of Snow is Oct. 10.   Seems 20 degs. BN on at least one day might happen.

Last summer extended to about Oct. 10, (my preference) but unlikely for this summer att.

74.4* here at 6am.    77.0* by 8am.    81.8* by 11am, but with al ot of cumulus clouds.   86.0* by 1pm, still clouds, humidity is low.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

75/65 here with smoke/haze. Calm wind. More so than yday. Interesting how much if any effect it'll have on temps. NWS has high of 90. Wonder how much they factor than in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping that the Euro is correct about the heavy rain potential Thursday night. We can really use the rain. Almost looks like a wannabe PRE with the tropical development in the Gulf. Not sure if the features are close enough to technically be called a PRE. But any rain after the dry last few weeks would be welcome.

 

AD660AC2-7962-4A66-8267-FC87B7B52C13.thumb.png.a2efd79da82d05eaecaaa4e68a8e0f33.png

8B5AC1F8-9807-40E3-B44A-3F9510187B4F.thumb.png.c3e4876088cb2da1a351a2d06b99cae9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluewave said:

I am hoping that the Euro is correct about the heavy rain potential Thursday night. We can really use the rain. Almost looks like a wannabe PRE with the tropical development in the Gulf. Not sure if the features are close enough to technically be called a PRE. But any rain after the dry last few weeks would be welcome.

 

AD660AC2-7962-4A66-8267-FC87B7B52C13.thumb.png.a2efd79da82d05eaecaaa4e68a8e0f33.png

8B5AC1F8-9807-40E3-B44A-3F9510187B4F.thumb.png.c3e4876088cb2da1a351a2d06b99cae9.png

Absolutely! When it doesn’t rain my job becomes ten times harder. I have dozens of planters on campus that require hand watering. And huge terraces that were designed (without my input) an irrigation system. I wish I could posts pics but it always says attachments full.

That heat potential next week is awful. I had a feeling sooner or later we would get some real heat. And moving forward that 110 degree day will eventually happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weather is decent if you’re at the beach or next to the pool otherwise it’s stay at home with the AC blasting. September can’t come early enough but those nights are getting longer already so sooner than later the hot air will diminish!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

This weather is decent if you’re at the beach or next to the pool otherwise it’s stay at home with the AC blasting. September can’t come early enough but those nights are getting longer already so sooner than later the hot air will diminish!

Summer just started, I’m not going by the calendar, only by the temps.  Let’s not rush the inevitable decline into fall and winter weather.  Enjoy the outdoors!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bluewave said:

I am hoping that the Euro is correct about the heavy rain potential Thursday night. We can really use the rain. Almost looks like a wannabe PRE with the tropical development in the Gulf. Not sure if the features are close enough to technically be called a PRE. But any rain after the dry last few weeks would be welcome.

 

AD660AC2-7962-4A66-8267-FC87B7B52C13.thumb.png.a2efd79da82d05eaecaaa4e68a8e0f33.png

8B5AC1F8-9807-40E3-B44A-3F9510187B4F.thumb.png.c3e4876088cb2da1a351a2d06b99cae9.png

We don't need the rain at all

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×