Total Members
    Most Online
    Love Snow
    Newest Member
    Love Snow
Bob Chill

January 12-13th Cold Smoke Obs and Nowcast

Just now, nj2va said:

Just got home to Arlington.  Not snowing here and bare ground. Like a different world compared to MoCo. 

Yeah, I am in Alexandria and there is nothing here either!

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

.50 just south of you but it looks like .40 easy. Once its out on tt we'll have a better idea. Fantastic trends in the short range. Good thing we have wiggle room with the mids and surface! If we were walking the line 24 hours ago it would be a disaster. Lol

Nice.. 48 hours ago I was confident  it would juice up this way . Im not sure the trend is done either esp for your yard . There's always surprises in these setups always...ull pass could surprise as you alluded to .Looks like my .35-.40" thinking will be in the ball park . Maby 4-5" range ....unless a rogue super band hits my yard and that just never happens. :rolleyes: then bump to 6-7". 

Pixie flakes have commenced 

Finally light snow and a coating in Woodbridge.  That enhanced area sw of DCA ain't much. I'm in it. But its been hopping over and missing eastern PW and Fairfax the past 2 hours. 

• Sad 1

00z IAD RAOB should be interesting.  I'm thinking there a small pocket or two of dry air lingering.  

9 minutes ago, zac1245 said:

Hey Guys! 

Ive lurked here for about five years now but never made an account, decided to do so though! Im in Alexandria, north of Old Town and it is not doing much of anything here. 

Welcome! Glad you signed up. 

Currently no flakes. Patience is a virtue.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

The forecast of 8-12 for DCA is a joke. They MIGHT record 5 or 6. Of course, just outside the airport could definitely verify those numbers.

I am like a mile from the airport, hope the eight verifies here... lol

For those who want to geek out... lol. Warm air advection precip moves in waves. Looks like ripples in the water on high res satellite. Cod site has cloudtop loop so you can track the waves. Dark blues and greens are usually the best precip because of best lift. Right now around and north of winchester has a good band and one is approaching I66

Check out this link

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=LWX-EET-1-12

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

Snow has stopped in Arlington. Simply shocking that northern areas are doing better so far.

You do realize Beltway wasn't supposed to see onset of mod snow until this evening, right?

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Did you really drive home just for this storm?

Sort of...we were planning on driving back tomorrow but when it looked like it’d be worse than originally forecasted, decided to come back today. Also not missing a 6-10” storm so there’s that. 

Aaaand light snow now...it’s on!

• Like 1

Installed a string of lights last spring in back yard for my daughter’s wedding reception (which we hosted). I have been hoping to see what it looks like with them with snow falling. 

About to find out. Fine flakes, we are underway here.

• Like 1

As far as every flake sticking well that did not happen here. It wasn’t cold enough long enough for that.  The sun has set now and it’s stsrting to cover over.  Temps are always an issue even when they are not an issue.  

• Like 1

Definitely fighting some dry air here in Baltimore County...radar would make you think it's coming down at a good clip but it's just very light off and on powdered sugar.  Seems like folks in Arlington and southern Fairfax County at the lower elevations in DC are encountering the same thing.  Really hope we can moisten the column sooner rather than later.