Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, midatlanticweather said:

This looks a little different from yesterday's Happy Hour! I do see the CAD set up - something frozen is better than none for some!

Different storm bro

50 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Here's our happy New Year rain storm.

They both suck! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ji said:
5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:
You knew that would happen.  Always add a week to whatever the models show 2 weeks oiut. 

Yep. Exactly

Totally unscientific but look at the FV3 at 384.  Op run sure but the 540 line is almost entirely absent from the lower 48 except for northern Maine.  That tells me we are still several weeks from a solid pattern change. 15th might be correct.  

Another interesting note to add, as Matt mentions,  this event is happening when the SPV is normally at its peak.

IMO that in itself may have implications for later Feb, and even March, dependent on the PV recovery, and even after that the PV may have a hard time gaining structure and reorganizing.  Speculation at this point, but will be interesting to see what happens during the winter. 

• Like 2

imagine that - models predicting snow using the rainfall amounts we had this year. -   boarding on it being cold.    but no way the models can figure out dry cold -   so if we get super lucky and temps hovers around 30 deg and high humidity we should be good?   but isn’t that to dry? or reverse...  lock me back in the panice room cause i’m not very smart.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, motsco said:

imagine that - models predicting snow using the rainfall amounts we had this year. -   boarding on it being cold.    but no way the models can figure out dry cold -   so if we get super lucky and temps hovers around 30 deg and high humidity we should be good?   but isn’t that to dry? or reverse...  lock me back in the panice room cause i’m not very smart.  

Thanks, Chuck.

9 minutes ago, motsco said:

We need 29 degrees and 82% humidity.  Anything else and its rain.  Oh, and DPs of 75 would help with the moisture too.  

Call me crazy, but...I still have not shut the door on a Christmas clipper surprise or something! Enough little "dots" (unscientific term, lol) on the model runs to keep me intrigued...Seems like cranky alluded to that little bit of energy being a little unpredictable from this range (if I am interpreting his earlier blog entry correctly). Ya never know...lol 

Overnight GEFS snowfall mean for 10+ day saw a nice increase. 2 1/2 through the cities (DC/Balt) with 4 1/2" in the farther NW suburbs. Some pretty nice solutions within the ensemble mix that would make many people happy. Except for Ji of course. :lol: EPS is no where near as gung ho as the GEFS with an inch through the cities and 1 1/2 in the NW suburbs. The control run does have 2 1/2 through most of the region with pockets of higher amounts.

Not what I would call a great look on the pattern 10+ on either model but it is serviceable especially considering climo is a little more forgiving temp wise as we head into the new year. Seeing blocking showing up over Greenland is a plus as it could potential buckle the flow in the Eastern US through that stretch. As far as distinct storms/threats? Far too early to even hazard as guess with the active NS/SS and the SW trough potentially spitting out energy as well. Probably won't have a good idea of the potential until we are sitting inside 7 days. But at least this is something to watch until hopefully our killer pattern shifts into place in a few weeks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Call me crazy, but...I still have not shut the door on a Christmas clipper surprise or something! Enough little "dots" (unscientific term, lol) on the model runs to keep me intrigued...Seems like cranky alluded to that little bit of energy being a little unpredictable from this range (if I am interpreting his earlier blog entry correctly). Ya never know...lol 

Ok.  you are crazy...but in a good way.  I thought the FV3 was interesting for that time as well.  If I see one flake of snow on either Xmas Eve or Day I am counting it as a white Xmas.  I'll be plow housed anyway so what does it matter.