Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

South huh?

The northern stream is fairly dominant.  I’m surprised the Euro has held the events from the 24th-26th as long as it has.  The GFS hasn’t really bitten once yet.  Until it does it’s hard to get excited about it as the GFS historically handles these northern stream potential squash job setups better.  It’s somewhat good seeing the UKMET at least showing upper level signatures though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol- ninja. Worth a double post cuz it's about to happen 

The great "fantasy land" looks from the seasonal guidance are starting to progress into the range of ensembles right on schedule, maybe even a week ahead.  Because it was also supported by analogs and the logical progression given the weak PV this year and the mjo wave timing I was never nervous. But maybe those that were more skeptical will breathe a little easier now. 

ETA:  who am I kidding. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From Ventrice re the MJO and @psuhoffman that the ensembles are beginning to show the seasonal's progression.

The composite looks similiar to the seasonals and weeklies to a degree.

What I find interesting is the commnet by Jason where he mentions that in the US, because of the weak polar vortex event, the trough axis may shift West. That's a new one to me. Thats based on his research. 

• Like 1

If 2003-04 is being mentioned as an analog...doesn't give me much calmness...south got more snowfall than we did that winter too, didn't it?

And really...how can we be sure these "promising looks" ain't gonna be too cold? And quite frankly...I think I would feel better if we had a miss north first (aside from a us getting a hit first). And again...what about this overactive NS? Would this strat warming whatever calm that down? (and I also wonder if the STJ is gonna stay active...or suddenly dry up so things get suppressed or something? (Are we better off with an H5 look where we are right on the line temperature-wise?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

If 2003-04 is being mentioned as an analog...doesn't give me much calmness...south got more snowfall than we did that winter too, didn't it?

And really...how can we be sure these "promising looks" ain't gonna be too cold? And quite frankly...I think I would feel better if we had a miss north first (aside from a us getting a hit first). And again...what about this overactive NS? Would this strat warming whatever calm that down? (and I also wonder if the STJ is gonna stay active...or suddenly dry up so things get suppressed or something? (Are we better off with an H5 look where we are right on the line temperature-wise?)

Like your enthusiasm but your like a hampster on the wheel buddy.

I know you want snow, but I’d suggest just letting things evolve and not searching for ways to fail. We all know they exist. 

• Like 1

Just now, peribonca said:

From TT Euro @ 144 doesn't look bad with 1008 low in southern Illinois and HP in QC/ON. Anyone with access to see surface?

More amp than 0z.  Pumping heights in front so I don't think it will be as good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

@frdI would hope that logical progression of Nino and climo therin could minimize westward progression. But that’s a blend of more wishcasting then factual based reasoning. 

Yeah, most times I agree with Jason, but I am not sure, meaning not sure what data base he has and how deeply his research goes on this topic. I would tend to follow your reasoning @pasnownut. We will see what happens though.   

Euro keeps the accumulating snow Christmas to north of the mason Dixon and the significant snows north of the PA turnpike.  We might start as some light snow north of D.C. before dryslot. Need the track 50-100 miles south. Low tracks into SW PA before jumping east. Need to get that to like central WV or south to have a chance 

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Pretty bad slp track. Never goes well with a nw track. Unfortunately a track like that is a heavy favorite until things improve. 

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro keeps the accumulating snow Christmas to north of the mason Dixon and the significant snows north of the PA turnpike.  We might start as some light snow north of D.C. before dryslot. Need the track 50-100 miles south. Low tracks into SW PA before jumping east. Need to get that to like central WV or south to have a chance 

Great...Look, in case we gotta suffer the rest of the winter, the least the weather can do is let this trend better so we can get our first white Christmas in 16 years. Heck, the atmosphere wanted to push things south so much, a couple weeks ago...so now is the time to do it!!!! (PLEASE!!)