Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Banter

George BM

7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Trying to figure out what's going on in the bottom left is driving me nuts.

its a baby -- a mirror that is on the rear right seat headrest, for mom to see the baby while she is driving. in this case, she's outside yelling. 

• Thanks 1

This picture was taken yesterday from Arapahoe Basin in CO. Brought back a flood of memories of my years out there. I highlighted one of my favorite descents. Ridge access starts at the top of Loveland Pass. It's about a 1.5 hour hike from the pass to the circled face called No Name Peak. After skiing the peak you skin the lower ridge to the top of an amazing glade called No Name Trees. After skiing the trees your right back on highway 6 and hitchhike back to your truck on top of Loveland pass. The entire loop is about 4 hours and that includes plenty of sightseeing and goofing around in the backcountry. I did this circuit at least a dozen times when I lived out there. 20 years later and I still think about it frequently. I miss CO...

P4KQSuM.jpg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

That's unreal, Bob. In a different lifetime, I should have learned to ski.

Also, unrelated, Quakertown is the new Carbondale.

The "earn your turns" lifestyle was my favorite. Yes, I loved inbound lift access skiing but the "religious" experience was getting a small group of friends together loaded with proper gear (avalanche transceivers most importantly) and just going for it. We'd plan descents for days. Waiting for the right weather/avalanche conditions and then nervously going for it when things were right. Hiking above 13k' is on a whole new level of cardio. Your heart would pound in your ears for hours and you learn how to speed up and slow down your pace so you didn't need to stop and catch your breath every 10 minutes. Took 3 years to get in really good shape. I no longer needed to stop for anything after a while. The first few years I always thought I was going to have a heart attack or something. lol. The really weird thing is that below 13k isn't too bad. Almost easy in a way. Once you cross 13k the whole atmosphere changes. 

When dropping into the descent it was always heart in throat. We used to draw straws for who went first. Out of 100s of descents I only witnessed one serious avalanche and nobody was caught in it. It was a sympathetic release thankfully. We were pretty smart for dumb guys. We had the gear and we dug our pits and didn't take too many big chances but it was always on your mind...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This picture was taken yesterday from Arapahoe Basin in CO. Brought back a flood of memories of my years out there. I highlighted one of my favorite descents. Ridge access starts at the top of Loveland Pass. It's about a 1.5 hour hike from the pass to the circled face called No Name Peak. After skiing the peak you skin the lower ridge to the top of an amazing glade called No Name Trees. After skiing the trees your right back on highway 6 and hitchhike back to your truck on top of Loveland pass. The entire loop is about 4 hours and that includes plenty of sightseeing and goofing around in the backcountry. I did this circuit at least a dozen times when I lived out there. 20 years later and I still think about it frequently. I miss CO...

P4KQSuM.jpg

I love A-basin and Loveland. Laid back atmosphere where it's about the skiing and not everything else. Would love to try that loop sometime!

48 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

P4KQSuM.jpg

So...ya used to ski on a sperm mountain? 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I love A-basin and Loveland. Laid back atmosphere where it's about the skiing and not everything else. Would love to try that loop sometime!

And here I am on Cyber Monday buying discounted lift tickets for F’ing Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop. Well I’ll at least pray for some epic conditions in January and February. It’s the best I can do until one day Colorado.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

The "earn your turns" lifestyle was my favorite. Yes, I loved inbound lift access skiing but the "religious" experience was getting a small group of friends together loaded with proper gear (avalanche transceivers most importantly) and just going for it. We'd plan descents for days. Waiting for the right weather/avalanche conditions and then nervously going for it when things were right. Hiking above 13k' is on a whole new level of cardio. Your heart would pound in your ears for hours and you learn how to speed up and slow down your pace so you didn't need to stop and catch your breath every 10 minutes. Took 3 years to get in really good shape. I no longer needed to stop for anything after a while. The first few years I always thought I was going to have a heart attack or something. lol. The really weird thing is that below 13k isn't too bad. Almost easy in a way. Once you cross 13k the whole atmosphere changes. 

When dropping into the descent it was always heart in throat. We used to draw straws for who went first. Out of 100s of descents I only witnessed one serious avalanche and nobody was caught in it. It was a sympathetic release thankfully. We were pretty smart for dumb guys. We had the gear and we dug our pits and didn't take too many big chances but it was always on your mind...

Son is living that life now. I get to live it thru his texts lol.

EDIT- I can verify the 'above 13K' thing. I've done 2 '14'ners' in the summer with him, a HUGE difference once you cross that. Can only imagine adding trudging through snow. We tried to make it up the back side of Arapahoe once in May 2015 or 2016? with still 30-40 inches of snow on the ground.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:11 AM, leesburg 04 said:

All the good vibes...we hardly knew ya...until tomorrow then we may know you again...until Monday when you leave again until Tuesday when you come back until Wednesday when your ass books again...until until until until 

I miss until :weep:

I think we just got sucked into trying to track too early in the season. I’m guilty of it. The preseason snow was fun. But we are still about 3-4 weeks from the start of prime climo. Sure we can score in the next couple weeks if everything lines up but an early December warmup isn’t really a big deal. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

We got 81 forecasted for here on Thursday. I’m spiking my coke with rum and a lime. Welcome to Texas

I know what you mean. I'm down in Buda, about 20 mi south of AUS along I 35. I might have to dive into our pool here to stay cool lmao. Water temp is about ~43 degrees. Right about comfortable.

• Like 1

I have discovered I have two things I need to do in my bucket list.

One is to hit up the Tug Hill Plateau. Those folks get snow every day for weeks at a time. Thats a snow lovers paradise.

The other thing, is, I have discovered that I LOVE hurricanes. I fell in love with Hurricane Michael's ROAR. I crave a high end Cat 5, IN THE EYEWALL.

Try this puppy at about 11:47 in the vid. I absolutely adore that ROAR. I crave it. I want to be in it LIVE!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

That's unreal, Bob. In a different lifetime, I should have learned to ski.

Also, unrelated, Quakertown is the new Carbondale.

I'm planning to get a pass and ski at least once a week if I can. Hopefully it gets cold enough by mid-December since that when I'd like to get going. 

I first learned to ski back in high school, went once a week in 11th and 12th grade, but haven't gone that many times since then. Liberty and Roundtop are pretty good for this area, but I'd like to eventually ski on a real mountain.

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

I'm planning to get a pass and ski at least once a week if I can. Hopefully it gets cold enough by mid-December since that when I'd like to start. 

I first learned to ski back in high school, went once a week in 11th and 12th grade, but haven't gone that many times since then. Liberty and Roundtop are pretty good for this area, but I'd like to eventually ski on a real mountain.

Check out Jay Peak! Real mountain, Real snow.

https://jaypeakresort.com/skiing-riding/snow-report-maps/snow-report

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic