Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Banter

George BM

Just now, mappy said:

wooo go me for remembering that story!

I figured once I found a woman who would drop everything on a dime and drive into a blizzard, get stuck on the highway, have to shovel the car through a wall of snow, and get stuck in a cheap motel for 2 days and think it was "fun"... Well that had to be the one. 

• Like 7

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I figured once I found a woman who would drop everything on a dime and drive into a blizzard, get stuck on the highway, have to shovel the car through a wall of snow, and get stuck in a cheap motel for 2 days and think it was "fun"... Well that had to be the one. 

I agree, she sounds wonderful :) 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

PSU - you must be living the dream us other mere mortals can only imagine.  After 22 years, my lovely wife still can't relate to the concept of my/our weather affliction.  However, she puts up with my endless refreshes during storm mode, lack of sleep, and insatiable appetite for the worse mother nature can muster.  Over time, she's actually started to inquire what the weather is going to be when she has a social outing on the calendar.  We've gotten to that point in tiny steps, but still no way she'd entertain a road trip just to get a snow fix.  You've done well! 

• Like 1

Just now, RDM said:

PSU - you must be living the dream us other mere mortals can only imagine.  After 22 years, my lovely wife still can't relate to the concept of my/our weather affliction.  However, she puts up with my endless refreshes during storm mode, lack of sleep, and insatiable appetite for the worse mother nature can muster.  Over time, she's actually started to inquire what the weather is going to be when she has a social outing on the calendar.  We've gotten to that point in tiny steps, but still no way she'd entertain a road trip just to get a snow fix.  You've done well! 

I've made my share of bad decisions in life but that one and where I live were not one of them!  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think the quote comes from GB ‘13. Even with all the storms since, I don’t think any coastal has produced any snowfall rates comparable. 

I can’t imagine what you experienced. Heck, I can’t even imagine what kind of atmospheric setup you’d need to make that possible haha.

Hintertux is circa 9-10,000' ASL not too far SSE from Innsbruck as a crow flies.  It's along a north facing ridge with a relatively deep valley below.  Very popular place for summer training camps for pro and semi-pro ski teams.  Club skiing is a big thing in Europe akin to college sports in the US.  Can only guess at the time the uplift with a moist boundary contributed to the event.  Perhaps the oddest thing to us at the time was how quickly it came in, and left.  Was partly cloudy before and after with reasonable conditions for summer skiing.  It was pretty warm in the valleys (70s/80s depending on altitude), and relatively humid.  The added moisture had to help.  We hiked the first day, skied the second and rafted the third.  Recall the 3rd day the rafting was accompanied by much colder weather and rain - lots of it.  Was miserable on the river with cool/cold temps all day and rain.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea, that's a sign of meant to be if I've ever heard one. 

My wife loves snowstorms too. She doesn't get into the science part too much but really enjoys any kind of winter event. She knows all about my wx geek stuff and amwx and doesn't think it's that wierd. We are a stange bunch tho. Grown adults wasting countless hours tracking snow storms... heh... We talk about it during the summer and stay up until 2am just to catch the 0z euro in the winter...yea, we're different to put it lightly. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, that's a sign of meant to be if I've ever heard one. 

My wife loves snowstorms too. She doesn't get into the science part too much but really enjoys any kind of winter event. She knows all about my wx geek stuff and amwx and doesn't think it's that wierd. We are a stange bunch tho. Grown adults wasting countless hours tracking snow storms... heh... We talk about it during the summer and stay up until 2am just to catch the 0z euro in the winter...yea, we're different to put it lightly. 

Wait a second Bob...  You mean, it's NOT normal to stay up, get minimal sleep and worship the models and snow gods to come calling in our favor?  Thought everyone knew intuitively what SECS, MECS, HECS and BECS means...  Here all along I thought that it WAS normal to portray in this lifestyle and it was my wife who hadn't figured it out yet.  

Thank god she don't visit this forum to read this.  (but no fret, she knows darn well that none of what we consider normal, is anything but totally abnormal).

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic