Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Even down here it's cold for the soccer stuff. Maybe I'm getting old, but this is the first year I can recall where I'm just done with the cold. The crap after Christmas was terrible, and now...I'm done with this April nonsense. If it could be 28 and snow...heaven.

And some SNErs crying for their Mommas, snow tomorrow too. Those 70s and 80s this weekend will dry these tears

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lucky kids, so many times on my hundreds of ski trips to the Whites  I have said, damn I wish I grew up here, but then again growing up on the Ocean in RI wasn't half bad either.

I identify with that. I was the same way as a kid, always wishing I lived in the mountains or somewhere really snowy. But I also think it becomes normalized. They don’t get as excited about snow as kids who rarely see it. And even as adults, you get used to it. When I moved from Italy to Boston Boston seemed like the snowiest place on Earth. Now when I’m down there it feels like the tropics (although a fantastic city in every respect). I mean, it’s April and we’ve had a snowpack since November and I’m like, “heh, it was an OK winter.” I love it here - not just for the snow, summer is fantastic as well - but you do get used to it. 10 years ago when I lived in Boston having 2 feet of snow in the woods behind my house would have been awesome any day. Now, it seems so normal I don’t even pay attention to it unless I really make it a point to sit and think about it. Which I sometime do. :) 

22 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Am I allowed to complain about the lingering cold? This April has been brutal with the weather and quite shocking because I'm used to seeing 70s/80s by now.

just wait for the bdcf that turns 4 days of 70s/80s in mid may into 1 day of 70s and 3 days of misery mist and MU40s :lol: 

I'd take the offshore flow and sun this time of year and run with it 

1 minute ago, ma blizzard said:

just wait for the bdcf that turns 4 days of 70s/80s in mid may into 1 day of 70s and 3 days of misery mist and MU40s :lol: 

Or even June...we've had our share of 48-53F trash in June too.  

14 minutes ago, alex said:

I identify with that. I was the same way as a kid, always wishing I lived in the mountains or somewhere really snowy. But I also think it becomes normalized. They don’t get as excited about snow as kids who rarely see it. And even as adults, you get used to it. When I moved from Italy to Boston Boston seemed like the snowiest place on Earth. Now when I’m down there it feels like the tropics (although a fantastic city in every respect). I mean, it’s April and we’ve had a snowpack since November and I’m like, “heh, it was an OK winter.” I love it here - not just for the snow, summer is fantastic as well - but you do get used to it. 10 years ago when I lived in Boston having 2 feet of snow in the woods behind my house would have been awesome any day. Now, it seems so normal I don’t even pay attention to it unless I really make it a point to sit and think about it. Which I sometime do. :) 

I wished I could have skied every day possible to have my skis feel like extensions of my feet like the kids up there do. Similar to surfing, repetitive opportunities take your skill level high.

26 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Am I allowed to complain about the lingering cold? This April has been brutal with the weather and quite shocking because I'm used to seeing 70s/80s by now.

You're relo first spring is rubbing it in ... 

It's funny you mentioned .. was just commenting on this sort of acclimation stuff in the other thread, but there are some perhaps over-due expectations about spring around here, based in no small part on the fact that we've had an unusual stretch of more decent than not Aprils spanning the last 5 years.  

But April is a pain in the ass over the long haul... Those 5 years?  They're actually worse for the psyche because of that conditioning and well... folks forget.  I can't count in mind how many bad Aprils there have been since I moved to this part of the country back in 1984 ... the vast majority of them are putrid, with often unrelenting NE and E misty flows and/or BDs poorly modeled that left ALB with 82 F while Logan rattled at 40 F...  Year after year after year...then, there's a year where it's 70 much of the time and even a poke or two at the high 80s...  

Empirically this April so far is steeply negative at the four climo... but, we could end up with 6 days of counter-balancing heat later in the month and suddenly it's more like that 'seasonal pain in the ass normalcy' that is the hallmark of early to mid spring in this part of the country. We don't know yet of course -   For the first 10 days?  Yeah, being -5 for a relo that's used to 70s and 80s is a bad dice roll. 

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

as Eric Radarman said, hardy New Englanders? The complaints not even being tax day are crazy, suck it up buttercups lol

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Or even June...we've had our share of 48-53F trash in June too.  

Even BOS had those back to back u40s for highs to start June a year or two ago. Fun fun fun. 

Of course it sometimes goes into July too. Nothing says cookout wx like u50s, low stratus, and drizzle. 

1 hour ago, ma blizzard said:

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You're relo first spring is rubbing it in ... 

It's funny you mentioned .. was just commenting on this sort of acclimation stuff in the other thread, but there are some perhaps over-due expectations about spring around here, based in no small part on the fact that we've had an unusual stretch of more decent than not Aprils spanning the last 5 years.  

But April is a pain in the ass over the long haul... Those 5 years?  They're actually worse for the psyche because of that conditioning and well... folks forget.  I can't count in mind how many bad Aprils there have been since I moved to this part of the country back in 1984 ... the vast majority of them are putrid, with often unrelenting NE and E misty flows and/or BDs poorly modeled that left ALB with 82 F while Logan rattled at 40 F...  Year after year after year...then, there's a year where it's 70 much of the time and even a poke or two at the high 80s...  

Empirically this April so far is steeply negative at the four climo... but, we could end up with 6 days of counter-balancing heat later in the month and suddenly it's more like that 'seasonal pain in the ass normalcy' that is the hallmark of early to mid spring in this part of the country. We don't know yet of course -   For the first 10 days?  Yeah, being -5 for a relo that's used to 70s and 80s is a bad dice roll. 

Just bad luck right there. However, it does bring me comfort that it's been chilly in the south too with bursts of frozen precipitation in few NC towns. It's not like I'm missing out on too much warmth in this pattern. 

I remember wearing jacket few July days and nights when I first move to here because we're flirting with upper 40s at night and struggling to leave 50s during the day. At the time, though, I remember thinking how much better it was than dealing with consistent 90s with DP in upper 70s so... haha. 

All of this waiting for summer to come back will pay back because our summer days up here are unbelievably beautiful and incredible comparing to the sauna that is the southern United States.

1 hour ago, alex said:

Alex,  what I notice is how immune I get to snow flurries.  When I lived in Boston and it was a snow flurrying day I would definitely notice.  Up here we have so many days with at least some snow in the air that I do not even notice it unless its accumulating.  You do get use to things for sure.  (Except for extreme below zero, hate that!)

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Even down here it's cold for the soccer stuff. Maybe I'm getting old, but this is the first year I can recall where I'm just done with the cold. The crap after Christmas was terrible, and now...I'm done with this April nonsense. If it could be 28 and snow...heaven.

March 2012 was amazing   Town baseball fields dry and snow free enough that they were practicing on March 22 or something.  Most years they are in gymnasiums doing fielding and hitting until early April.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Even BOS had those back to back u40s for highs to start June a year or two ago. Fun fun fun. 

Of course it sometimes goes into July too. Nothing says cookout wx like u50s, low stratus, and drizzle. 

2015 - we'd had nearly a week of humid mid-upper 80s visiting family in SNJ, so the 46° misery mist at the Charlton rest area on the pike was an eye-opener (or closer.)  And six years earlier I recorded 86 on May 21 then never got back to 80 until July 29, with 16.5" RA during that stretch. 

Archived