Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Do you have it set on energy saver? 

No, but I can tell it's definitely warmer, and it's only on blower mode in the AM I never hear the condensor run. Time to buy an inside thermometer I guess. It's a through the wall unit...not that that should make a difference.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to my thermostat, I have yet to exceed 70° F in the house. 68° F in here last check. It is in an interior hallway, so I think it runs a little cooler than some of the rooms that get sun.

But, regardless, I haven't even turned on the fans yet, although I will open the windows in the afternoon to actually let some of the warm air in so it's not cold at night. It's amazing how cool it stays, even on warm, sunny days. #NoACneeded

The black flies are waning a bit, but they're still a nuisance, especially in the early evening. 

I planted a row of 10 2-3 foot paper birch tree saplings that I ordered online from a nursery in upper lower Michigan on the side of my driveway to narrow it a bit. I also got a couple of white oaks from them as an experiment to see how they do up here. They grow naturally in the valleys, particularly in the Williamstown, MA (there's even a section of town called White Oaks) and Pownal, VT areas with some Black and Scarlet Oak mixed in too. I put them in the sunniest, driest location I could find. The more cold tolerant Northern Red Oaks fade out around 1,400-1,500' around here, so I'm not convinced they'll survive.

8 hours ago, Whineminster said:

No, but I can tell it's definitely warmer, and it's only on blower mode in the AM I never hear the condensor run. Time to buy an inside thermometer I guess. It's a through the wall unit...not that that should make a difference.

Lower your setpoint when you go to bed, raise it when you wake. You will probably need the heat anyways if the GFS is correct

36 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Short term ouch.   1.33" in the past 5 weeks.  Lots of dust on the roads and gardens.  Yet I just drove to Laconia this AM and everything is green and lush 25 miles SE.  Let it rain, please!

Very lush at home...still trying to dry out. My local area is like a microclimate though. It's so difficult to get rid of the sfc moisture. Cukes and any squash like plants have been ipossible for me due to powdery mildew. At least the kale thrives.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Very lush at home...still trying to dry out. My local area is like a microclimate though. It's so difficult to get rid of the sfc moisture. Cukes and any squash like plants have been ipossible for me due to powdery mildew. At least the kale thrives.

Neem oil, And don't wait for the first signs of the WPM or mites to apply it, Stay vigilant on an application schedule.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

...and I think your flat or even face north and I face south so that is a big difference too....

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not much rain next week as most of it stays Sw of New England, but the models are succeeding in 2-3 days of 40’s for highs. Unreal 

This is pretty crazy for June.

Up here the Euro has 3 days in the 40s, another barely to 51F and then two days of low 60s.  

IMG_9846.thumb.PNG.71ebf6c13071edb19a3a427da463f412.PNG

I mean that above is crazy cold.

Here's ORH, a little better but not much.

IMG_9847.thumb.PNG.564138993c3b38972487528e5806cb00.PNG

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is pretty crazy for June.

Up here the Euro has 3 days in the 40s, another barely to 51F and then two days of low 60s.  

IMG_9846.thumb.PNG.71ebf6c13071edb19a3a427da463f412.PNG

I mean that above is crazy cold.

Here's ORH, a little better but not much.

IMG_9847.thumb.PNG.564138993c3b38972487528e5806cb00.PNG

Models keep bumping much of the rains SW. So I guess we can hope it’s mainly cloudy with maybe just a few bouts of showers or sonething . Cool temps, but dry and cool would be much more bearable 

Archived