Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

1 minute ago, benjammin said:

South of Lynchburg where I now live I lock it in. But if I'm in Arlington where I'm from I'll of course roll the dice for better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just now looking at the clown map closer, I’ll take a hard pass. 3” for Eastern HoCo!? I practically had that 2 nights ago within the 3 hours of white asteroids. We can definitely do better. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Looks like a complex setup, a lot of moving parts. Factor in that it’s March, a month of typically dynamic transitions and you have a cocktail of volatility. 

Yeah. March and April make me pull my hair out sometimes. April not so much for out here, but where I forecast. I feel for you guys over there at the office. Having a snow storm in this pattern is like pulling teeth around here, especially once you factor in climo. 

16 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

hHvDjha.jpg96h:

Ok board. You have one of two options. You lock this above map EXACTLY AS SHOWN in, or you take your chance with whatever happens. What do you do?

Screw it! I’m rolling the dice that we get back to 10-20 inches baby!

9 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

So which model is embarrassingly incorrect? Euro or GFS?  

This might sound biased but the GFS has been more accurate than the Euro this winter so I'm going to trust it for now. Euro should stay in Europe and the American Model should be the best for America :) 

23 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Shocker, goes to show you how little shifts here and there make a big difference. PSU and Chill have said it many times. 

Chaos. Others get frustrated by it (Howard) but it's what makes this exciting imo. Or as Bob says sometimes the weather is just gonna weather. 

23 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

hHvDjha.jpg96h:

Ok board. You have one of two options. You lock this above map EXACTLY AS SHOWN in, or you take your chance with whatever happens. What do you do?

Can I lock in the gfs track and h5 but assume the normal expansion and increase in qpf on the NW side?

2 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

This might sound biased but the GFS has been more accurate than the Euro this winter so I'm going to trust it for now. Euro should stay in Europe and the American Model should be the best for America :) 

Lock it up! I'll take 10 inches after 4 for the entire winter! I have leaned more toward the GFS than the Euro for quite a while for many reasons. Get that what I call a 45/65 low out of the way and it's game on!!

Just now, HighStakes said:

Oddly enough there was a storm we were tracking a few years ago. Can't remember exactly when, however all the models looked great at around 72 hours then suddenly the 18z GFS lost the storm then all the big models followed. Maybe this storm will be the opposite. 

March 19th 2016

13 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Yeah. March and April make me pull my hair out sometimes. April not so much for out here, but where I forecast. I feel for you guys over there at the office. Having a snow storm in this pattern is like pulling teeth around here, especially once you factor in climo. 

I’m sure they are having a tough time with this one. Not sure if I mentioned, but I moved on from the field office about 2.5 yrs. ago. I still have the same position title but moved to National HQ, full time briefings, deployments etc.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Depends where you are in our area though. Temps are better to the west as always.

That was definitely a my backyard observation. I need a qpf bomb. Which would doubly benefit you. 24 hours of snow totaling six inches on the models won’t work in ground truth for me on March 11. The good news is we know this setup has the potential of something big, that’s what I am hunting. 

12z GFS 72: 994mb  Memphis

18z GFS 66hrs = 992mb  AL/TN border

12z EURO 72hrs: 1010mb on the LA coast

12zCMC 72hrs: 1006mb 30 miles NW of Mobile bay.

12z UKMET 72hrs:  The site crashed but I assume it was between the Euro and CMC

18zIcon 66hrs: 1004mb S GA.

The GFS is 12mb deeper and 100miles further north than any other model along the Gulf Coast at 66hrs!!!!! It has been this way consistently. Probably a feedback error, I'd use it with caution, or toss it.

14 minutes ago, Quasievil said:

Sorry but reading through the last few pages has been a banter filled mess. I'm sure the moderators will start to crack down soon.

They will probably start with this post..haha!

My guess is that if the 0z shows a favorable solution then a storm mode thread could be made

Archived