Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

you should do well, i'm hoping for 2-4" at best but will see.. Kids want a day off lol

Yeah, It looks like a classic SWFE up here with 6-10", I think you should be able to achieve that number and wouldn't be surprised if you add another couple as we get closer.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

NAM would be pretty classic SWFE. Good burst of advisory snow on the front with big CAD over the interior leading to prob a lot of icing. 

Theres a pretty good high north of CAR as the system comes in so we will have to watch. If that high position does not change, then frequently we will see models tick colder as we get closer to go-time. 

2008 Redux?

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, It looks like a classic SWFE up here with 6-10", I think you should be able to achieve that number and wouldn't be surprised if you add another couple as we get closer.

Funny how I think powderfreak (or maybe it was someone else) was just talking about how we haven't had really any classic Niña SWFEs this winter which was kind of disappointing. They usually bring decent wintry wx to almost the whole forum except the south coast...but even sometimes down there can get a thump. 

Maybe this is the one finally. I hope it doesn't trend too far west though...that's my only fear I think. That it tries to ride into western NY or something which would leave the good WAA dynamics too far west so we don't get a thump. But I think so far the trough has had enough vorticity out to the east to keep some good dynamics and a sfc low redeveloping out there. Hopefully that continues. 

We have the ingredients in place though as long as the dynamics stay cooperative. We have good antecedent airmass, a good high location and good moisture feed. Just make sure the dynamics aren't shunted too far west with some uglier amped track. 

I’m getting confused by a lot of this morning’s discussion.  I am assuming most are just talking about Weds and today is a foregone conclusion.

Briefly saw the sun.  A few flakes.  35F

This pattern is pretty lame but hopefully we can get a moderate event Weds out of it.

I’m a -NAO disciple after yesterday

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Funny how I think powderfreak (or maybe it was someone else) was just talking about how we haven't had really any classic Niña SWFEs this winter which was kind of disappointing. They usually bring decent wintry wx to almost the whole forum except the south coast...but even sometimes down there can get a thump. 

Maybe this is the one finally. I hope it doesn't trend too far west though...that's my only fear I think. That it tries to ride into western NY or something which would leave the good WAA dynamics too far west so we don't get a thump. But I think so far the trough has had enough vorticity out to the east to keep some good dynamics and a sfc low redeveloping out there. Hopefully that continues. 

These SWFE's really spread out the wealth for many in this setup, We run the risk riding the gradient its a game of risk/reward, Having the high to the north as long as it remains gives you some confidence that this will track south rather then trying to cut thru upstate NY.

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m getting confused by a lot of this morning’s discussion.  I am assuming most are just talking about Weds and today is a foregone conclusion.

This pattern is pretty lame but hopefully we can get a moderate event Weds out of it.

Yeah today is hot garbage for SNE maybe outside of NW MA. Maybe some brief snow this afternoon in your hood at the start. 

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Today is disgusting feb Rain. The kind that reminds me this climo will never satisfy me.

Archived