Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 Snow/Ice Observations

moneypitmike

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Welcome to New Hampshire where the snow piles up in small and medium storms and then one day you walk in the woods and realize you have an 18" pack :D

At least it's nice to bring my snow pack back up to 6-7"!

We should finish the event around 3-4", but I'm in Nottingham now so I can't do final measurement... but I'm pretty sure we're ending at 3.5".

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

As in first, first time?

About my fifth time overall, but I did previous snow drives across my tiny college campus or my neighborhood. Never on main roads until tonight.

Don't worry, I got tips from several people before tonight and tested my brake in a parking lot before taking off. It wasn't too bad and I kept my speed low.

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

About my fifth time overall, but I did previous snow drives across my tiny college campus or my neighborhood. Never on main roads until tonight.

Don't worry, I got tips from several people before tonight and tested my brake in a parking lot before taking off. It wasn't too bad and I kept my speed low.

Glad we're over here.

10 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

It's really just about understanding the type of snow, and your own car.

Wet snow is way more unpredictable, the slushy crap, because it is inconsistent. 

Dry stuff and can drive on pretty predictably. 

Biggest tip when traveling, follow the path of previous cars and ignore the road markings. (When the snow is really heavy)

Not sure what kind of car you have.

Noticed a few minutes ago no more pinging. This latest batch is now mostly ZR. Still a few pingers but the transition is almost complete. Ended up with near an inch of snow/sleet. At least any bare spots were covered up again so it looks pretty wintry out there. Temp has actually fallen back a little to 24F in Holliston. 

Archived