Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 Snow/Ice Observations

moneypitmike

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

27 and steady ZR. Everything glazed pretty good. But I think we should avoid major issues with qpf staying relatively modest...and while it's cold now, we're ticking up and during daylight hours it does help mitigate some of the accretion. 

Yup like I said.....big dog icing happens at night..glad you're on my side!!!

31 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Same here.  Rose 4F past hour to 27F.    Light freezing rain.

Decided to stay another day up north. It was still accumulating last night when I went to bed around midnight. I "think" is was about 18 deg. Currently 24.6F and we've got a glaze on top of the 8-9" that fell yesterday. Davis in Lowell says it's 26.2F. Appears it's going to be a decent glaze down there as well.

7 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Yup like I said.....big dog icing happens at night..glad you're on my side!!!

If ice accretion is slower during the day with solar insolation, today being about the shortest day of the year might help in that regard.  Sun angle is lower than about  any other ice storm day...

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

29°  -FZRA.     Actually not too bad out.  There is a glaze on everything but roads ok and no tree limb sag. 

I'm shocked to be a couple degrees cooler than you.  That's probably less a case of cold being scoured out than me just being colder at the onset.  I bet I'll pass you in the race to freezing.

25.8*

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

27 and steady ZR. Everything glazed pretty good. But I think we should avoid major issues with qpf staying relatively modest...and while it's cold now, we're ticking up and during daylight hours it does help mitigate some of the accretion. 

Hoping your right

Im good w .25 ice today and not.5

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

If ice accretion is slower during the day with solar insolation, today being about the shortest day of the year might help in that regard.  Sun angle is lower than about  any other ice storm day...

Clear sky solar is so low this time of year and when combined with thick overcast I doubt it has much of an effect on inhibiting icing unless you’re on the cold side of 32F.

Archived