Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I do think we may have overshot snow amounts for today. Near a foot seems like a tough ask.

Gonna have to go at least an inch per hour to get there in those spots. Though that stuff coming out of NY state is starting to look pretty good. Still hoping for a burst down here after 3-4pm...at least re-cover some of the bare spots before the ZR moves in.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I do think we may have overshot snow amounts for today. Near a foot seems like a tough ask.

This was my first thought when I saw the NWS Gray account tweet their snow map.  Was shocked to see 7" for myself in Nashua.  I've been telling people 2-4".  But would love to hear the rational for higher total.  I don't get to do much forecasting anymore so I'm very rusty.

3 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

This was my first thought when I saw the NWS Gray account tweet their snow map.  Was shocked to see 7" for myself in Nashua.  I've been telling people 2-4".  But would love to hear the rational for higher total.  I don't get to do much forecasting anymore so I'm very rusty.

Models have been rock steady actually on a sharp cut off somewhere in those southern NH counties. The jackpot has been modeled in a band around Dendrite (what else is new?) for a while now.

3 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Well lets see what the batch of heavy echoes just coming into WNH does.  If the snow growth is good and ratios are high, we could have a great burst hear near dendrite from maybe 1-5?

Yeah, I always liked that area to go over 6" but I still think 12" will be tough. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That green over Putnam which has little elevation was meant to be over elevated Tolland county up to Union etc. whomever programmed the data misinterpreted the geography 

Lol I gotta give you credit for creativity.

That green is over union.

https://weather.us/model-charts/newengland/connecticut/acc-precipitation-ice/20171225-1100z.html

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Bring 'em up! 

:lol:

BTW, 44F in BDR and 38F at HVN right now....wow! We were kind of skeptical they'd warm that much this early in talking last night, but they are relatively torchy. Gotta wonder how bad it might be down there later tonight? That could be a total shocker. HVN looks like a better spot for the cold tuck, but even BDR...or at least near it...could get a flash freeze. Still a lot of model spread though...these are always ugly forecasts. Small changes with such huge consequences in sensible wx. Some guidance doesn't really cool it down much while others are going for upper 20s down there. The cold is available there to drain just north of BDL right now...it's like mid 20s BAF with dews in the teens. Just a matter if it can be transported all the way down the valley.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

BTW, 44F in BDR and 38F at HVN right now....wow! We were kind of skeptical they'd warm that much this early in talking last night, but they are relatively torchy. Gotta wonder how bad it might be down there later tonight? That could be a total shocker. HVN looks like a better spot for the cold tuck, but even BDR...or at least near it...could get a flash freeze. Still a lot of model spread though...these are always ugly forecasts. Small changes with such huge consequences in sensible wx. Some guidance doesn't really cool it down much while others are going for upper 20s down there. The cold is available there to drain just north of BDL right now...it's like mid 20s BAF with dews in the teens. Just a matter if it can be transported all the way down the valley.

That easterly component today got it done. Once winds back to more northerly they should be able to drop quickly. 

I think the saving grace is that there's really very little precip around until late. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dropping here .Down to 25.2

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That green over Putnam which has little elevation was meant to be over elevated Tolland county up to Union etc. whomever programmed the data misinterpreted the geography 

Seriously though...How can you just re-draw a map, moving the results where you want them to be?

C

Archived