Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Two seperate cold tucks on the 00z NAM...nice. One tomorrow evening/night and then another Saturday mid-afternoon. What a disaster for E MA.

Biggest question I have with this is what happens post 18z Saturday. I'm pretty sure BDL is sub 0c until that time... after that I'm not so sure but it's definitely a forecast dillemma as that's when the good QPF is. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Biggest question I have with this is what happens post 18z Saturday. I'm pretty sure BDL is sub 0c until that time... after that I'm not so sure but it's definitely a forecast dillemma as that's when the good QPF is. 

Yeah I'm worried of like a huge chunk of the interior being like 27F when moderate precip is overspreading the area on Saturday midday and afternoon...then what happens Sat evening when precip could become briefly heavy and another quarter to half inch falls? Do we have a bunch of people rotting in the upper 20s still? Esp over eastern areas if we get a 2nd cold tuck ala NAM. Though maybe the 2nd cold tuck is just a signal that we never lose a northerly wind at all in between.

Yeah I'm worried of like a huge chunk of the interior being like 27F when moderate precip is overspreading the area on Saturday midday and afternoon...then what happens Sat evening when precip could become briefly heavy and another quarter to half inch falls? Do we have a bunch of people rotting in the upper 20s still? Esp over eastern areas if we get a 2nd cold tuck ala NAM. Though maybe the 2nd cold tuck is just a signal that we never lose a northerly wind at all in between.

Yeah that's the question I have. Is it 32 and rotting by 18z Saturday or a whole different game? 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Huge difference between 29 and 31 really. 31 you may just be able to run off a bunch of QPF.

Unless you have a good dewpoint drain.....2008..cough...2008.

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah that's the question I have. Is it 32 and rotting by 18z Saturday or a whole different game? 

Congrats on no power on the RGEM:

Dec22_00zRGEM.gif

Although if I'm referencing a 31F icestorm like 2008...I should be fair to oceanst that even that storm ran off a lot of QPF. We prob ran off like 1.5-1.7" of water in that...and accretion was around 1.25"

Exactly. :lol:

NAM and RGEM at least seem consistent on around 0.50" to 0.75" QPF with round 2 up here. Which could be plenty significant.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Verbatim that has the potential for 10k+ w/o power in MA. 

You might want to add a zero or even two. It has a solid 3/4" qpf of ZR in a large area...so that could be a half inch of accretion. We'll see if other guidance continues to show this, but it's def concerning.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

gfs is a good 5F warmer, never understood why its this bad with temps. 

It doesn't have the resolution of a model like the RGEM. RGEM also has a lot more vertical layers I believe which allows it to process low level CAD better.

Archived