Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Every single piece of guidance if you shave off the known degrees due to bias in these setups keeps 32 or below into Sat nite. I hope you are really hitting this hard on air tonight . People are mad enough at you after this week lol

They are? Our forecast has been pretty consistent. 

If I were you I wouldn't expect 1/2" of ice. 

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

They are? Our forecast has been pretty consistent. 

If I were you I wouldn't expect 1/2" of ice. 

NAM bufkit is 0.61" QPF for the event, let's call that 0.75"

A first approximation (not really that scientific) is 70% of QPF can be converted into ice accumulation. So all of that 0.75" would need to fall as FZRA to reach 0.5" ice. 

48 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

NAM bufkit is 0.61" QPF for the event, let's call that 0.75"

A first approximation (not really that scientific) is 70% of QPF can be converted into ice accumulation. So all of that 0.75" would need to fall as FZRA to reach 0.5" ice. 

Oh boy... you are setting yourself up for a Saturday post that's "Well you all get your wish, it's raining out and 34F just like you hoped it would be."

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

This is a pretty substantial event for me up here in Central NH.   .25 to .50" of ice.  OceanSt, PF do you really buy this up here?  I always over perform in CAD. Seems excessive?

25675165_10155846136315782_1789726386_n.jpg

To be honest I think that forecast looks fine (albeit too generalized to capture all the meso-climates) and I'd push the bigger ice more to ORH and NE Mass on northward.  That map seems to under-do it like the area from CON to GYX where I think the heaviest ice could be.  

To be honest though as I've said a few times...I don't want to downplay .25-.5" of ice but I think infrastructure-wise, that's only scattered outages at best if those are the actual amounts seen.  Sure it's a mess but you want a solid .4-.5" to start having more impact.  The October wind storm should've cleaned things out too...or maybe left more hangfire?  Hard to say.  

Anecdotally I feel these events generally end up 1/2-1/3".  It takes a lot to get a half inch but maybe the rain is there.  I could see you getting a few tenths of IP too.

Just now, powderfreak said:

To be honest I think that forecast looks fine (albeit too generalized to capture all the meso-climates) and I'd push the bigger ice more to ORH and NE Mass on northward.  That map seems to under-do it like the area from CON to GYX where I think the heaviest ice could be.  

To be honest though as I've said a few times...I don't want to downplay .25-.5" of ice but I think infrastructure-wise, that's only scattered outages at best if those are the actual amounts seen.  Sure it's a mess but you want a solid .4-.5" to start having more impact.  The October wind storm should've cleaned things out too...or maybe left more hangfire?  Hard to say.  

I do agree, larger ice amounts should probably shift east too. I see no reason the eastern areas are going to warm up enough to preclude FZRA.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Man congrats Dendrite on this one, that's a thumper the dumper

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

He’s money this year so far.

This December is kicking my ass. I procrastinated in every way with the birds. I have hawk netting over my run and over the roof portion the snow got high enough to suck the net into it. Now I have the net frozen to it and I can't broom the snow off of it. I was sorta looking forward to a brief 55/55 torch to get me back to a clean slate. Instead now we have 4-8" tomorrow, decent ice on top of that, Xmas system, frigid temps and some -SN potential midweek, and then the system coming out of the south late week. At least I'm off until 1/2.

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

He’s money this year so far.

The Dendrite legend grows.

On a Boston area TV weather forecast map, is he the furthest north shown? 

I figure for folks in BOS or SNE, that he's like the southern Adirondacks to SVT and in-between for Albany and Hudson Valley folks.  For those living in Albany (at least when I lived there through high school), the Saratoga/Lake George region over to Manchester is the holy grail for winter.  Growing up you'd always see that zone getting highlighted on TV broadcasts for winter events.  It was like "up north" but still relatable to us in the greater Albany area...once you got north of there you just thought its wilderness and not comparable, lol.  

My alma mater has been working on a hires WRF for our area along with cold air damming graphics. They've been working on a CAD index as well. The CAD graphics aren't available yet, but we do have some WRF images up. The model runs once a day at 00z. So these graphics I'm posting are all the way from 00z last night, but look at how damn cold they are for us. These are 2m temps valid 12z Sat, 18z Sat, and 00z Sun. Damn (dam?) cold.

plymwrf12211760hr.png

plymwrf12211766hr.png

plymwrf12211772hr.png

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This December is kicking my ass. I procrastinated in every way with the birds. I have hawk netting over my run and over the roof portion the snow got high enough to suck the net into it. Now I have the net frozen to it and I can't broom the snow off of it. I was sorta looking forward to a brief 55/55 torch to get me back to a clean slate. Instead now we have 4-8" tomorrow, decent ice on top of that, Xmas system, frigid temps and some -SN potential midweek, and then the system coming out of the south late week. At least I'm off until 1/2.

You look money for tomorrow's snows.  From the southern Adirondacks through Killington and Okemo to your area and the Lakes.  Best chance at 6" or more is in that zone, IMO. 

Scott

What is worst case you could see having say at least a 25% chance of verifying (Not forecasting) for ASH to  NE mass away from shoreline ( regarding ice accretion)

Im trying to understand damage potential and how much Qpf could fall as ice. Seems nobody is mentioning the chances  of >.25

Seems like its a low confidence forecast, and that eastern areas should prepare for "issues"

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yea never good to get caught with ya pants down in the farming business, been there done that. 

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My alma mater has been working on a hires WRF for our area along with cold air damming graphics. They've been working on a CAD index as well. The CAD graphics aren't available yet, but we do have some WRF images up. The model runs once a day at 00z. So these graphics I'm posting are all the way from 00z last night, but look at how damn cold they are for us. These are 2m temps valid 12z Sat, 18z Sat, and 00z Sun. Damn (dam?) cold.

We've been looking at it at the office. Funny enough it got worse with time during the last CAD event. The best verification on temps was like 3 runs before the event started.

Archived