Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was speaking more in my hood near BOS...but yeah I think Ryan was saying even srn CT could get icy. Just not sold on Kevin's generator type stuff.

Yeah. I just don't see this happening.  People are setting themselves up for failure if they are expecting to see heavy, ice laden branches, heavy power lines and cars filled with presents sliding around in the mall parking lots taking out little old ladies shuffling around with walkers. 

15 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Yeah. I just don't see this happening.  People are setting themselves up for failure if they are expecting to see heavy, ice laden branches, heavy power lines and cars filled with presents sliding around in the mall parking lots taking out little old ladies shuffling around with walkers. 

Bingo..the only time you see that is if it's been really cold in the days prior and you have fresh cold funneling in keeping temps well below freezing...

19 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

You have a brutal imagination....Poor old ladies.

As of now, I think we are fine here in inland CT.  Some Ice accretion sure...but nothing major or devastating is my feeling.  I know Kevin is as giddy as a kid on Xmas morning for this Ice event...but I feel it's not going to be a major deal in CT.  Today precip is going to be light and spotty...and overnight it stops and picks up again tomorrow morning...temps should be on the rise by then.  But, like all systems..there will be surprises somewhere...

Our school district is half day anyway due to the last day before the holiday break...so no worries here.

56 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

seriously though....think of all the icing events you have experienced....any of them that are worth their weight all happened at night.

It's been almost 20 years, but if memory serves, the most rapid accretion came 6A-noon on Jan 8.  (Though there was continuous accretion from sundown on the 7th thru early afternoon on the 9th.)

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

As of now, I think we are fine here in inland CT.  Some Ice accretion sure...but nothing major or devastating is my feeling.  I know Kevin is as giddy as a kid on Xmas morning for this Ice event...but I feel it's not going to be a major deal in CT.  Today precip is going to be light and spotty...and overnight it stops and picks up again tomorrow morning...temps should be on the rise by then.  But, like all systems..there will be surprises somewhere...

Our school district is half day anyway due to the last day before the holiday break...so no worries here.

My kids have a half day too.

I will say that Kevin has a better chance than we do. I don't think it goes above freezing at his house from November through March.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Or he's busy working.

This goes back to like last night bro. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dudes had like 5 nogrums already. He’s not thinking clearly 

lol I wish. My home made Mulled Wine will be drank later though, hopefully as I'm plowing my driveway of a fresh 4-inches. 

Just now, Whineminster said:

This goes back to like last night bro. 

lol I wish. My home made Mulled Wine will be drank later though, hopefully as I'm plowing my driveway of a fresh 4-inches. 

He was conversing with Ryan at like midnight. Drink up.

Besides, who said damaging life changing ice? It's an interesting wintry event. These meso scale things are always tricky.

Lol...looks like I logged on just in time. Apparently if I don't post the first 2 hours of the morning, the event is over. :lol:

I don't see any major changes...it's going to be a really nasty icing event for the interior...I still can't tell you if it's going to be a couple tenths of accretion or a half inch, but I'd watch very closely. I'm really concerned about Saturday morning into midday when it appears a good slug of rainfall will be moving in...and it may be of the freezing variety for a pretty large area.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Lol...looks like I logged on just in time. Apparently if I don't post the first 2 hours of the morning, the event is over. :lol:

I don't see any major changes...it's going to be a really nasty icing event for the interior...I still can't tell you if it's going to be a couple tenths of accretion or a half inch, but I'd watch very closely. I'm really concerned about Saturday morning into midday when it appears a good slug of rainfall will be moving in...and it may be of the freezing variety for a pretty large area.

Some of those WRF runs (ARW and NMM are wicked nasty).

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t even read your posts for meteorological information anymore, I just look at your post count. Save time. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Some of those WRF runs (ARW and NMM are wicked nasty).

The RGEM gave ORH about 8 tenths of QPF falling as ZR. I think that's prob overdone but even if it's only 60% of that, that is going to be a problem. That would prob mean at least 3/8ths of accretion and you'll start seeing some widespread power outages once you hit that mark. The power outages seem to go almost exponential over about 3 tenths of accretion. You're mostly OK at a quarter inch, you start seeing them at 3 tenths, by 3/8ths they are becoming widespread, and by a half inch it's starting to fee like the 19th century.

But even metrowest Boston (and possible Boston itself) could see pretty decent accretion. That 128 to 495 belt could get shellacked.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The RGEM gave ORH about 8 tenths of QPF falling as ZR. I think that's prob overdone but even if it's only 60% of that, that is going to be a problem. That would prob mean at least 3/8ths of accretion and you'll start seeing some widespread power outages once you hit that mark. The power outages seem to go almost exponential over about 3 tenths of accretion. You're mostly OK at a quarter inch, you start seeing them at 3 tenths, by 3/8ths they are becoming widespread, and by a half inch it's starting to fee like the 19th century.

But even metrowest Boston (and possible Boston itself) could see pretty decent accretion. That 128 to 495 belt could get shellacked.

How much did it give Union to BDL?

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Agree. I guess the one help is that we don't have 15-20kt winds advecting lower Td air in...will be just like N-NNW winds under 5 kts. But with temps in the 20s, that's still rather efficient.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How much did it give Union to BDL?

Maybe about half as much? Just west of HFD though it had a lot. That was the 06z run though...the 12z is coming in now...and the models may still be too warm. It's really hard for them to be too cold on these setups.

Archived