• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 22-23 snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

Time to start a thread for this one. The high in Quebec is trending more stout and the wave is trending flatter...that equals a more wintry solution than the torching cutter being shown just a few model cycles ago.

There could be a significant icing scenario for interior southern New England as well...most guidance shows a cold tuck behind a mesolow that develops near the Cape and travels into the Gulf of Maine while at the same time, more moisture begins to stream in from the southwest and mid-level temps creep above zero....see GFS for below example. Note the streamlines over eastern SNE come from SE NH and S ME....that is classic icing signal...ignore the verbatim temps, they'd likely be much colder:

f72.gif

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

crap, trying to head north   looks like will have to put that off  till midday Saturday when it's start to mostly change to Rain.

No gaurantee That happens near mid day with this set up.

This is not ur retreating high to the east where low levels are gauranteed To go above 32. That meso Low and even orientation of the high looks very interesting.

In nashua Im a bit concerned but even inside of 495 could be in trouble

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The Naugatuck valley does fairly ‘well’ in icing events as cold air drains along and down rte 8. But I’m elevated at 600ft and to the west some, maybe I can escape the worst.

My location is like moths to a flame for freezing rain, but hoping for the best. My Dad's 83 and no heat can become problematic.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Right to the coast near HVN in this setup. Big big ice signal for most in SNE

Don't think this is a big south coast icing setup....since the main source of drain is from Maine and NH...so prob MA and N CT. But there is absolutely a siggy icing threat. We'll also have to watch the QPF too...the CAD is going to hold strong for a long time, but precip could remain light for much of the time. While that will make for efficient glazing, it could keep amounts under a half inch too.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Don't think this is a big south coast icing setup....since the main source of drain is from Maine and NH...so prob MA and N CT. But there is absolutely a siggy icing threat. We'll also have to watch the QPF too...the CAD is going to hold strong for a long time, but precip could remain light for much of the time. While that will make for efficient glazing, it could keep amounts under a half inch too.

Yeah I didn’t mean SE Mass like the Cape , but TAN could ice for a time . Reminds me of the 1973 icestorm setup 

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

But it’s deff showing the cad east of the wct hills into saturday morning.

Yeah on the Euro setup, theres no chance a place like ORH or even the 495 belt sniffs freezing by Sat morning. If the raw model output is that cold, you can prob take 'em down another 5F minimum in reality. Sometimes 10F. That would prob extend into a chunk of CT too.

That's a very wintry set-up for CNE/NNE. At least several inches of snow before changing over to several hours of freezing rain for southern half of NH.

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The mobile layout on weather.us is annoying. Not easy to scan through a run and look at different parameters. Too time consuming but euro is free so I guess I should eat it.

It's pretty bad on laptop too. Just taking forever to change the display and it freezes sometimes trying to change the hour.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah on the Euro setup, theres no chance a place like ORH or even the 495 belt sniffs freezing by Sat morning. If the raw model output is that cold, you can prob take 'em down another 5F minimum in reality. Sometimes 10F. That would prob extend into a chunk of CT too.

That would even be tough at Logan for a time too. Esp with those N vectors some models are showing.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That would even be tough at Logan for a time too. Esp with those N vectors some models are showing.

Huge cold tuck sig on all the guidance...could be really nasty Fri night. BOS may score a couple inches of snow before anything changes too...the guidance is starting to show that classic NE to SW temp gradient in the mid-levels that we see on Quebec highs.

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah on this setup, theres no chance a place  like ORH or even the 495 belt sniffs freezing by Sat morning. If the raw model output is that cold, you can prob take 'em down another 5F minimum in reality. Sometimes 10F. That would prob extend into a chunk of CT too.

The significant QPF Waits till pm on most guidance, Thou right?

So ice fans need to see that cold really hold till 0z Sunday Or longer.

How does that occur, stronger high, another meso?

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

No gaurantee That happens near mid day with this set up.

This is not ur retreating high to the east where low levels are gauranteed To go above 32. That meso Low and even orientation of the high looks very interesting.

In nashua Im a bit concerned but even inside of 495 could be in trouble

the good news is I'm heading to eastern Canada, up 1-95 so hopefully the closer to the ME coast the better, then when I get to Canada it should be mostly rain in NS.

Archived