Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

59 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

It’s the South, we take whatever small chances we can, no matter what time of year! I get as excited about a sleet pellet in November , as a full blown blizzard in February! The chances of either , are 0.00013%! :(

You would be incorrect sir! Jan and Feb chances go up to 0.0013%!

• Haha 2

That would coincide with when the blocking would be relaxing some; definitely a time when storms tend to occur. 
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

I agree. It seems that the best storms for winter weather occur more often than not when blocking starts to break down. At least that’s my perspective.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

I agree. It seems that the best storms for winter weather occur more often than not when blocking starts to break down. At least that’s my perspective.

I second this

Too strong of a block leads to extremely suppressed tracks (too far off the coast). The block breakdown is like a rubber band settling back in place, gives us a better chance, but at the same time if it relaxes TOO much the low comes too far inland. It is all about timing, all we can do is watch, wait, and pray.

48 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

I second this

Too strong of a block leads to extremely suppressed tracks (too far off the coast). The block breakdown is like a rubber band settling back in place, gives us a better chance, but at the same time if it relaxes TOO much the low comes too far inland. It is all about timing, all we can do is watch, wait, and pray.

Correct.  Bob Chill has presented good commentary on this in the past.

Can also be good for snow on the front end of blocking but seems to line up better for our area when it either relaxes or flexes. 

Prefer just enough flex to throw copious moisture into advecting (is that a word? :) ) cold air though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaryWx said:

Correct.  Bob Chill has presented good commentary on this in the past.

Can also be good for snow on the front end of blocking but seems to line up better for our area when it either relaxes or flexes. 

Prefer just enough flex to throw copious moisture into advecting (is that a word? :) ) cold air though.

For the NE and Mid-Atlantic they probably do want the blocking to ease up a bit.  For a winter storm in the SE, I do not.  I hope we're blocked up from now until March 30.  

3 hours ago, griteater said:

^ I’m with mister snow niner.  Full blocking all the time is the way to go at our latitude 

Sign me up too. I'm hesitantly optimistic about this winter, but I'm concerned  about the cold as usual. Doesn't  look like anything very cold coming down the pike over the next two weeks or so, I'm only forecast to go below freezing once. That's ok now but by then I'm hoping to see better cold signs. Kinda bummed we're not getting a piece  of the cold for tomorrow in the NE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Sign me up too. I'm hesitantly optimistic about this winter, but I'm concerned  about the cold as usual. Doesn't  look like anything very cold coming down the pike over the next two weeks or so, I'm only forecast to go below freezing once. That's ok now but by then I'm hoping to see better cold signs. Kinda bummed we're not getting a piece  of the cold for tomorrow in the NE.

Looks like we may have drank the kool-aid, for the awesome indices and cold December!? Not looking that amazing now! The smoke and mirrors voodoo, is alive and well! Looks normal for the next 10-15 days

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Looks like we may have drank the kool-aid, for the awesome indices and cold December!? Not looking that amazing now! The smoke and mirrors voodoo, is alive and well! Looks normal for the next 10-15 days

What are you looking at that makes you think this? If its the gfs 15 day generated forecast, i wouldnt put much stock into it. The euro will only get you out 10 days and thats just to Dec 1st. There is a lot of volatility right now as the global pattern is in transition mode. On the atlantic side it looks very encouraging and is what we want to see. Blocking AO and NAO going negative with alot of signs pointing towards us seeing both in the negative phase more so than the posotive for D,J,F. 

The Pacific is what the models are having a hard time figuring out long range. Need a pac Ridge to set up and more importantly position itself where the short waves, energy coming can space out better and have the opportunity to dig under us,phase with ns as opposed to having kickers pressing them along cutting to our nw or miller B ing off the mid atlantic coast.  Id be very cautious in trusting anything LR on global models until the end of next week,. Once blocking is established and in place , working real time , then we'll be able to see if we can go up against climo and score an event.  Just beacuse indicies are forecast to line up in holy grail fashion, doesnt gurantee a SEHS. Im always in the minority, but id rather have a posotive PNA locked in and entrenched over a neg NAO any day of  the week ( if I had to choose between the two). Now if I lived futher north,in the NE then I'd be singing a different tune. Get me the cold and then ill worry about the moisture . With the modoki or low end moderate el nino, you average BN on temps across the SE moreso from clouds and above normal moisture not arctic outbreaks.  We all should be encouraged from where stand at this point and time as oppossed to discouraged. In 2009-2010, the year of non stop winter tracking events. We didnt really get our 1st big event till the 3rd week of DEC and I got white rain without a trace while 10 miles up the road had 5 inches on the ground. Course both paled in comparison to the foothills,mtns. This year there is going to be a lot of events that are mixed bags and have very sharp cutoffs, leaving folks on the outside looking in. So brace yourself for more  heartaches as oppossed  to the couple of "Glory " outbreaks we will get to expierence.

Use the eps, watch it twice a day LR and youll catch the trends, pulse better for what might or might not happen.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

That’s why you should be thankful there is a fake version!  It’s better.

Either way as long as it's not 70+ I'm happy right now. Chances are even with a great pattern we'd be on the outside looking in this early. Rather save it for later.

With the NAO heading slightly negative toward neutral and PNA falling to near neutral long range it fits with a more average, boring zonal flow. The AO looks to remain negative throughout.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2018 at 1:16 PM, Waiting on snow said:

Either way as long as it's not 70+ I'm happy right now. Chances are even with a great pattern we'd be on the outside looking in this early. Rather save it for later.

With the NAO heading slightly negative toward neutral and PNA falling to near neutral long range it fits with a more average, boring zonal flow. The AO looks to remain negative throughout.

Yeah and the spread in the indices are pretty good also.  I say let's get well into December to get a great pattern going. No need to rush things.  Seasons in seasons.

• Like 2