Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

35 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Man 2013-2014 was an incredible winter. Height of the snowpack on 2/16/2014, Albertson, ny. There was snow from 4-5 storms at once under that pack, was a glacier. 

FD071D97-BCA0-4609-9211-998E81FBF803.jpeg

I had 58" in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn that winter...really an incredible total for an area so near the ocean. My parents had 74" in Dobbs Ferry, NY...depths were close to 30" there in mid-February which was the height of it. Another example of the -EPO pattern being more important than the NAO.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I had 58" in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn that winter...really an incredible total for an area so near the ocean. My parents had 74" in Dobbs Ferry, NY...depths were close to 30" there in mid-February which was the height of it. Another example of the -EPO pattern being more important than the NAO.

Yea, we had 64” in north central Nassau that winter

7 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

You could handle it just fine, the bigger problem is that you'd be out there for a week trying to fashion the perfect banks. :P

Oh man the banks were epic. After that big storm it took me 16 hours of nearly non stop shoveling to get my Jeep out of the driveway. Laying on the snow on my belly and flicking it up to the top of banks that were already about 8' high when it started. Good thing there was a 7-11 directly across the street so I could have a constant supply of beer, I went through nearly a case and a big fat bag o' weed :) When I finally got it mostly cleared I shaved the banks so they were vertical walls using a 2x4. They looked great but it took a few days and they started to curl in at the top and collapse but you'd expect a 15' snowbank to do that. About a week later the gas company came by and made everybody clear the banks from the gas shut off valves, we had one at the top of our driveway that was for 5 houses and it was under a 25' high pile. I had to pay an excavator guy $125 to widen the driveway and move everything further up the hill. With driving up onto the pile and packing it down it made for an incredibly durable 40' high snowpile. In early April it was still 25' so we covered it with silver nylon tarps and saved it. We had a huge party on summer solstice and uncovered it and went skiing on our still 15' high pile, had a huge snowball fight, drank lotsa beer and had mega good bbq goodies. 

5 hours ago, nzucker said:

I remember my snowpack maxing at about 40" and staying there for at least a week. That was a muddy, mucky mess when it melted.

EURO WEEKLIES [12/04] do not look good for first halve of Jan.  For a third run, NYD looks 20 to 30 degs. AN.  I would not  be sending out Greeting Cards featuring the Teleconnections to my friends either.  True, we have seen worse and snow is still possible and the EURO isn't G-D.

I notice too, that the CFS keeps warming all the coming months from the idiotic 10BN continent wide cold it had for the first 6 months of the year. 

I make it 21 days BN (the next 14 days are most of these) and 22 days AN  (3 days are gone already so total days is 43/46)

4 hours ago, CIK62 said:

EURO WEEKLIES [12/04] do not look good for first halve of Jan.  For a third run, NYD looks 20 to 30 degs. AN.  I would not  be sending out Greeting Cards featuring the Teleconnections to my friends either.  True, we have seen worse and snow is still possible and the EURO isn't G-D.

I notice too, that the CFS keeps warming all the coming months from the idiotic 10BN continent wide cold it had for the first 6 months of the year. 

I make it 21 days BN (the next 14 days are most of these) and 22 days AN  (3 days are gone already so total days is 43/46)

LOL-nice troll post-+30?   LOLOLOL Did snowman19 steal your log in info?

We're gonna need a new server to handle the ego load around here.

I see no reason for folks to boast 'slightly and respectfully' if they nail a call. Once......not 25 times in a single thread. I likewise find it very commendable for those that called for nary a flake to admit defeat. I learned this the hard way being on both sides over the years. Humility and honesty garner respect.

8 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

every year the board forgets that model solutions can change drastically 

The WAR or SE Ridge has usually won out for us during the 2010's epic snowy run. Just a few outliers like January 2015. But most of the time we do better than forecast with a closer to the coast track.

19 hours ago, nzucker said:

Don't you think 2014-15 was better though?

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

We've had numerous storms like this the last 3-4 years especially.

I don't think it's a coincidence we've been seeing this since the early 2000s, I think the models are playing catch up with the new climate's norms.

Back in the 80s storms like these would be well offshore, hence the hike in snowfall totals in recent years.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived