Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

14 minutes ago, Rjay said:

We have dealt with multiple forum splits and have had people poached from the NYC and Philly subforums left and right over the last 5 years.  In the past, we've had good posters chased away by idiots, thin skinned mets chased away by posters simply questioning them and yet we have kept a great core of people here who work hard on making good posts for us to read daily.  I'm absolutely f**king sick of people thinking they can come in here and bash this subforum.  Some of these people have added absolutely nothing to convo but think they can stroll in here and bash this place and people's well thought out posts.  There's no doubt this subforum isn't what it used to be but that's beyond our control. This all started long before Bx and I became the moderators of this subforum. All we can do is make the best of it and continuing trying to make this subforum better.  We need everyone here to help us with that though.  Anyone who doesn't want to be a part of this place can go somewhere else.    

It's New York & New Jersey.

Don't get all emotional about it.

This drill has been going on for years.

People (pro mets) get all upset if there is a call out...If Don S , Bluewave or Uncle stop posting...make a big change.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Rjay said:

We have dealt with multiple forum splits and have had people poached from the NYC and Philly subforums left and right over the last 5 years.  In the past, we've had good posters chased away by idiots, thin skinned mets chased away by posters simply questioning them and yet we have kept a great core of people here who work hard on making good posts for us to read daily.  I'm absolutely f**king sick of people thinking they can come in here and bash this subforum.  Some of these people have added absolutely nothing to convo but think they can stroll in here and bash this place and people's well thought out posts.  There's no doubt this subforum isn't what it used to be but that's beyond our control. This all started long before Bx and I became the moderators of this subforum. All we can do is make the best of it and continuing trying to make this subforum better.  We need everyone here to help us with that though.  Anyone who doesn't want to be a part of this place can go somewhere else.    

To be honest i think there is too much going on in this forum (not in the weather world) that keeps people from being regulars here. There's just too much going on in the try-state area hell we have the winter classic and the ball drop within two days of one another,plus there is a saying that has something to do with a new york minute other forums have more time to spend here.

3 hours ago, Blizzardo said:

It's not evaporating from your wallet. It was never there to start with. I've been in that game for over 25 years.  Never count on snow money. You obviously have a bunch to learn about being a groundskeeper... and how to handle winter months. 

Ive been around these boards a long time. To the early Eastern days. This forum has really gone down the toilet the past couple years.  Sorry to say..

I was trying to explain to others why I have more vested in snow then looking out the window. Obviously I’m intelligent enough to realize I have no control over wether or not it snows. Anyone that relies on snow for income in an area that averages less then 30” a season is in for kick in the ass every few seasons. Luckily I have 2 other major income sources. It’s just annoying when you have situation like tomorrow where I most likely will not get “the call”. I’ll be in Vermont where they have 43” on the month instead.  

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Cold and dry. The worst possible scenario. I thought if we were to have a snowless period it would be due to overwhelming warmth. The last few years all it took was a couple days of cold to score snow. Now we have abundant cold and very very little moisture. I still think there is going to be a bomb. There is just too much pent up energy. The issue is, does that bomb occur 300 miles offshore or later down the road as a cutter 

I'm honestly not that concerned about us wasting this cold away. If you remember in December 2010, we were snowless for 3.5 weeks after emerging into a cold pattern. Many members were throwing in the towel on winter during that month before Boxing Day. Right now, we're barely 5 days into this arctic blast, so I remain optimistically patient.

33 minutes ago, Hailstorm said:

I'm honestly not that concerned about us wasting this cold away. If you remember in December 2010, we were snowless for 3.5 weeks after emerging into a cold pattern. Many members were throwing in the towel on winter during that month before Boxing Day. Right now, we're barely 5 days into this arctic blast, so I remain optimistically patient.

Yea...people expect huge snow storms in NYC every year now.

Truth be told....the chickens are coming home.

8 hours ago, Animal said:

Saw a guy clearing snow on the lake for his daughters earlier.

Youngsters these days that that play the game, skate full time in-doors.

My brothers son plays at an elite new england boarding school now, D 1 prospect at age 13.

Only saw him on a pond 2 times...he was around 6  & 10.

Nice and that’s why I called it old time hockey. Kids nowadays don’t play outside when it’s sunny and 75 let alone when it’s cold out. Came home from work the other day to see the traditional pickup hockey game though on the rink here in the park, always nice to see that. My sons used to get involved in that when they were home as teenagers. 

8 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Yep. Instead of bashing it with drive by posts and lame attacks that just add to the exact crap you are complaining about. There are many posters here who have a decent amount of knowledge, but choose instead to troll, worry about who is right, not what is right, rush to make "bold" calls to claim victory, and basically treat this as their own personal blog. The egos need to be checked at the door a bit...not just because it rubs a lot of people the wrong way and completely ruins the often otherwise well thought out scientific thoughts presented...but because this hobby and profession has a way of humbling even the most talented among our great mets and hobbyists. 

If you get a call wrong, dont run away for 2 weeks and then come back here with the same old trolling routine. Explain why you got it wrong, and attempt some humble pie. But PARTICIPATE, dont just preach. Everyone here has something to offer...dont ruin the message with trolling or arrogance. 

If you have issues with whats posted here, take part in helping all of us fix it. Explain why a post is wrong. Explain why meteorology still wins out over modelology. Posts obs. Make fun of rjay. Just help!

You forgot to mention Twitterolgy as well but I digress. QTIP folks, QTIP (Quit Taking It Personal).  If someone legitimately questions you maybe instead of attacking you they are simply trying to understand your point of view. Life would be pretty boring if we all had the same point of view and saw things the same way. And with this particular hobby NONE of us can control any sort of outcome so claiming victory and/or harping on someone’s ‘mistake’ is just plain lame. Unless of course it’s pointing out BxEngines errors but no one has enough time for that. 

5 hours ago, Rjay said:

@donsutherland1. Check out the December forecast thread in the main forum.  Wow it's super close.  

Looks like you're going to edge me in the original 6.  I'm going to get edged in the west I think.  I think I'm going to win the overall.  1 day left.  You're right on my heels.  

It is really close. Regardless of the outcome, it's always a fun contest. Good luck in the remaining 2 days.

53 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I hope we get a paralyzing blizzard next week

Keep hoping, latest gfs is about a hundred miles to the east. 

Weaker Newfoundland ridge, ridging out west looked ok.

Ukie looks a lot better though, given how poorly the gfs has been performing I'll take what it shows with a grain of salt. 

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Keep hoping, latest gfs is about a hundred miles to the east. 

You, enigma and snowman were all wrong about today’s storm. I already have half an inch and snowing moderately now, technically the radar is not doing a good job because the atmosphere is saturated now and it should come down for at least another two hours that would result an inch at least. So your dusting call was wrong, I don’t want to hear it!

also Thursday storm is 5 days away how many times did we get 200 mile moves on low pressure. Long Island tip looks great for Thursday’s event at least several inches on the GFS. Boston gets it good too. 

34 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

You, enigma and snowman were all wrong about today’s storm. I already have half an inch and snowing moderately now, technically the radar is not doing a good job because the atmosphere is saturated now and it should come down for at least another two hours that would result an inch at least. So your dusting call was wrong, I don’t want to hear it!

also Thursday storm is 5 days away how many times did we get 200 mile moves on low pressure. Long Island tip looks great for Thursday’s event at least several inches on the GFS. Boston gets it good too. 

So is your 2-4" so far

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived