• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

Nothing is surprising anymore in our new era of extreme snowfall.

Erie, PA picked up 19" of new snow from midnight to 6 AM. This brings the storm total to 53" over the past 30 hours, shattering many records. This is the greatest 2-day total in the entire state of PA (prev. record 44" in Morgantown, PA 3/20-21/1958).

This beats the 13-day total snowfall record for Erie, PA. Previous record was 52.8" from 12/31/98-1/12/99.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ny10019 said:

I've been getting them at least once a day also. 

It could be an advertising tool.

anyway, I’m hoping the models as they usually do they overestimate the cold and moderate the airmass as it gets closer resulting a storm track further west. That’s the only way we’ll get that NYE storm to ride up the coast and not get supressed and drop feet of snow out by the fishies (OTS).

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Still less then the Buffalo south towns event a couple years ago with 90”

I lived in Erie for 2 years in mid 2000s. I then relocated for work to Buffalo Southtowns. Erie typically gets much of its LE snow from NW flow and Huron connection (typical event is 4-8 in). This 53 in. is pretty incredible given their climo. While living in BUF Southtowns/Orchard Park 10-15 in. was not uncommon. I was living on Grand Island near Niagara Falls one year and we received 40 in. of snow in one week.

6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I lived in Erie for 2 years in mid 2000s. I then relocated for work to Buffalo Southtowns. Erie typically gets much of its LE snow from NW flow and Huron connection (typical event is 4-8 in). This 53 in. is pretty incredible given their climo. While living in BUF Southtowns/Orchard Park 10-15 in. was not uncommon. I was living on Grand Island near Niagara Falls one year and we received 40 in. of snow in one week.

Yeah I've never heard of Erie getting anywhere near this much. 

12 minutes ago, Enigma said:

My family owns a place in Chautauqua, NY. Never been there during a Lake Effect Snow event but I've been meaning to. Need to experience it.

9 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

It could be an advertising tool.

anyway, I’m hoping the models as they usually do they overestimate the cold and moderate the airmass as it gets closer resulting a storm track further west. That’s the only way we’ll get that NYE storm to ride up the coast and not get supressed and drop feet of snow out by the fishies (OTS).

I'm blocking everything, I suggest the rest of you do the same.

I get zero popups or alerts or whatever.

Turn notifications off and get an ad blocker.

12 hours ago, bluewave said:
Nothing is surprising anymore in our new era of extreme snowfall.

Erie, PA picked up 19" of new snow from midnight to 6 AM. This brings the storm total to 53" over the past 30 hours, shattering many records. This is the greatest 2-day total in the entire state of PA (prev. record 44" in Morgantown, PA 3/20-21/1958).

This beats the 13-day total snowfall record for Erie, PA. Previous record was 52.8" from 12/31/98-1/12/99.

Erie got 60 inches of snow in 30 hours- new PA state record!

Expecting another 2 feet there?

5 hours ago, Enigma said:

Great Lakes region are the place to be if you love snow.  Snowfall is too inconsistent on the east coast, even in New England.

No one who loves snow should live anywhere near the ocean if they want to see it on a consistent basis.

In the Great Lakes as long as it's cold and the lakes aren't frozen you're going to get snow.

1 minute ago, JerseyWx said:

It's nuts.  They almost have more snow in Erie, PA over the course of a few days than I've gotten in the last two seasons.

They are crushing areas above 8,000’ in the Sierras  it’s only going to continue until Erie ices over. Ontario is too deep to ice over so the tug hill is going to have some insane totals 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

They are crushing areas above 8,000’ in the Sierras  it’s only going to continue until Erie ices over. Ontario is too deep to ice over so the tug hill is going to have some insane totals 

Interesting to say the least.  Lake effect never ceases to amaze me.

Just an FYI that the windchill atop Mt Washington is currently -82 (on -31) with sustained winds at 77 and gusts to 84! Would love to experience that for around 10 seconds, I am sure it would be unforgettable (in an awful kind of way).  That would be a nice counter to a Heat Index of around 149 (on 116) that I experienced in Dubai several summers ago (also awful in an unforgettable way).

19 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Drove to old forge yesterday from our cabin in north creek.  Deep white powder all the way.  Hit -20 last night in north creek.   Even my makers mark froze outside.  

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived