Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

We have been lucky to avoid very heavy rains on snowpack and high end ice storms during the 2000's so far. All our big snowpack melts have been the result of extreme warmth coming shortly after heavy snow.

Yes like Feb 2006! That snow went away very quickly- more quickly than Jan 1996

Those two storms don't even belong in the same sentence lol.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Yes like Feb 2006! That snow went away very quickly- more quickly than Jan 1996

Those two storms don't even belong in the same sentence lol.

I was really disappointed to miss the jackpot on that Feb 2006 event in Long Beach. But it was some of the best winter surfing of the 2000's so far.

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I was really disappointed to miss the jackpot on that Feb 2006 event in Long Beach. But it was some of the best winter surfing of the 2000's so far.

I think we had the lowpot lol, we had the lowest snowfall of the entire area, half of what NYC got.

Nice snow surfing though!

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We have been lucky to avoid very heavy rains on snowpack and high end ice storms during the 2000's so far. All our big snowpack melts have been the result of extreme warmth coming shortly after heavy snow.

I don't remember specifics but it has happened a few times up here in the last 20 years with rain into a deep snowpack causing an insta-melt. I know because as it is happening we run around the basement getting everything off the floor and onto tables or something solid that's off the floor. Rapid, wet snowmelts cause significant basement flooding :( 

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That was one of my least favorite snowstorm outcomes since 2000 along with Feb 13 and Jan 15. 

That entire winter lol

Including Dec 9 2005

But yes the three you mentioned are the top 3 because they would have been HECS

Jan 2016 made up for it though!

30+ inch snowstorm :-)

6 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I don't remember specifics but it has happened a few times up here in the last 20 years with rain into a deep snowpack causing an insta-melt. I know because as it is happening we run around the basement getting everything off the floor and onto tables or something solid that's off the floor. Rapid, wet snowmelts cause significant basement flooding :( 

Having a basement is brutal in flooding situations. I lived in a LB basement apartment during Agnes in 1972. We lost all the carpeting and various pieces of furniture after that one. My friends basement really got hit during the Spring 83 floods. After that it was October 2005 and August 2011 for extensive basement flooding in Long Beach.

Just now, bluewave said:

Having a basement is brutal in flooding situations. I lived in a LB basement apartment during Agnes in 1972. We lost all the carpeting and various pieces of furniture after that one. My friends basement really got hit during the Spring 83 floods. After that it was October 2005 and August 2011 for extensive basement flooding in Long Beach.

I remember hearing about a lot of flooding after the Perfect Storm and Dec 1992 noreaster too.

the last time there was at least a trace of snow on the ground Christmas and New Years morning was in 2009...2" Christmas morning... and a trace on New Years morning...

year...Christmas New Years...

2009..........2"..........trace

2000.......trace..........9"

1975.......trace..........1"

1970.......trace..........2"

1967.......trace..........3"

1966..........7".........trace

1963..........4"............2"

1961..........6".........trace

1960..........1".........trace

1948..........6"............5"

1947..........1"..........15"

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

It isn't due to normal flooding because the house is on the side of a hill not far from the top. When there is a rapid melt off accompanied by rain the water trying to run down the hill ends up blocked by the house and comes up through the floor drain and sometimes into and up through the pit where the septic trap is too. We dug french drains a while back but apparently didn't go deep enough, tough to do by hand when you can't get heavy equipment into the yard and it's all rock and roots. Way back when there was an interesting drainage system of pipes and ceramic drains on the hill above the house that would channel the water away but it got broken up by tree roots and clogged with rotted leaves when the flow was interrupted. 

1 hour ago, CIK62 said:

The Times Square Ball Drop Temp.  could be 11 degs.     (Good for 2nd. closest)

Coney Island Polar Bears may have to endure 16 degs. (1PM)

..and lets not forget..NY Rangers vrs. Buffalo Sabres @ Citi Field on new years day..would 

love to see the game played in those conditions..would love it more if the Islanders were playing.:D

I don't remember specifics but it has happened a few times up here in the last 20 years with rain into a deep snowpack causing an insta-melt. I know because as it is happening we run around the basement getting everything off the floor and onto tables or something solid that's off the floor. Rapid, wet snowmelts cause significant basement flooding  

Sorry to hear that. Where are you? I had recently got it a French drain in my basement.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived