Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

30 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Unreal. At least we are the benefactors. That effects native live in terrible waves as traditional substance hunting is not possible

Definitely and odd fall into early winter so far.  Cool temps late Aug into early Sep...record warmth mid-Sep through Oct...record cold early Nov...early snows in December. Around here  the delayed leaf drop overlapped with the early December snows. So the landscapers just finished their fall clean up this week since the snows delayed them the last few weeks.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Definitely and odd fall into early winter so far.  Cool temps late Aug into early Sep...record warmth mid-Sep through Oct...record cold early Nov...early snows in December. Around here  the delayed leaf drop overlapped with the early December snows. So the landscapers just finished their fall clean up this week since the snows delayed them the last few weeks.

leaf blowers roaring around here all day.    It's a good 2-3 weeks late for sure.

Launches have been limited in recent years by staffing shortages and by an overtime policy change in August, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported .

The Weather Service has launched 28 percent fewer balloons at six of the remote sites in order to keep employees to a 40-hour work week.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/alaska/articles/2017-12-10/weather-service-cuts-balloon-launches-amid-staffing-issue

18 hours ago, Paragon said:

Lucky for us we got hit twice after that storm, it soothed over some of the hurt from getting fringed by the first one.

Complete wiff on the mid Atlantic dump in early February 2010 and we wound up with around 35 inches of snow for that month.  I still want to complain about the wiff but how lame would that be?

31 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Complete wiff on the mid Atlantic dump in early February 2010 and we wound up with around 35 inches of snow for that month.  I still want to complain about the wiff but how lame would that be?

Well one of these years we'll get 60 inches of snow in a month lol.

I remember seeing a post about snowfall records from the early 1900s when somewhere in the Hamptons got close to 60" of snow in a month- but I forgot the exact year.

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Unreal. At least we are the benefactors. That effects native live in terrible waves as traditional substance hunting is not possible

It's starting to and will continue to affect the entire planet.  It's why I view humanity as a self-destructive unsustainable species.

Change the environment and the environment will change you lol (because we are a part of it.)

Seeing increases in various types of cancers, and other illnesses related to more pollution, higher population density, pesticides being used on produce, higher mins and humidity, etc.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yes I dont remember 2000-01 being like this but if we get that late month storm that will be used as the analog.

If we don't and don't see it in early Jan either 2005-06 will be used as the analog.

If we don't see it this month but see it early next month, 1995-96 will be the analog quoted.

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I have a dream, that one day, members of this weather board will learn to not post in absolutes.

Well no one knows for sure, but I'm saying people will use those analogs if storms occur around those dates, whether it's a good idea or not.

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Well no one knows for sure, but I'm saying people will use those analogs if storms occur around those dates, whether it's a good idea or not.

My post wasn't in regards to your analogs. I actually quite enjoy reading your posts.

I was just making a blanket statement regarding the shenanigans happening elsewhere on the board.

12 minutes ago, Nibor said:

My post wasn't in regards to your analogs. I actually quite enjoy reading your posts.

I was just making a blanket statement regarding the shenanigans happening elsewhere on the board.

Oh thanks.  I know I hate the bipolar nature of people fighting over who is right about something they don't even have any control over lol

Like I said last night Ego has been kicking Sanity in the butt and a few other places haha.

34 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I don't recall severe. I remember a rapid warm-up overnight with fog and rain and the snowpack disappeared pretty much overnight

I recall there being a severe tstorm warning with a squall line coming through and a high in the 66-68 range

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

collapse of a supermarket roof in Massapequa

My car almost stalled out in the flooding on Broadway in Long Beach. There were still piles of snow along the side of the road covering the storm drains. There was a narrow channel down the middle of the street to pass through that was all flooded. The only big snowmelt here in recent years on Long Island was the sod farm meltdown that flooded that area in Suffolk. But that was warm weather flooding without any rain.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My car almost stalled out in the flooding on Broadway in Long Beach. There were still piles of snow along the side of the road covering the storm drains. There was a narrow channel down the middle of the street to pass through that was all flooded. The only big snowmelt here in recent years on Long Island was the sod farm meltdown that flooded that area in Suffolk. But that was warm weather flooding without any rain.

Wow that was worse than what happened with March 1993!

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Wow that was worse than what happened with March 1993!

We have been lucky to avoid very heavy rains on snowpack and high end ice storms during the 2000's so far. All our big snowpack melts have been the result of extreme warmth coming shortly after heavy snow.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived