Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I smell eastern New England/LI special, things don't fully phase in time to deliver, pattern is a bit too progressive. 

Could end up being a very painful near miss, but I'm optimistic that another Boxing Day surprise happens.

Time is on our side too. 

The day you post something optimistic will be the day metsfan posts a 500 word discussion about the right exit of a jet streak and explains why the 500mb maps are displaced from surface features.

:)

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think Long Island, especially the eastern tip has a really good chance of seeing 6+ from the storm. But west of the city I'm not so sure. With these Miller A storms there's a sharp cut off. We saw it especially well with the Boxing day storm.

There's a chance that eastern LI gets screwed too.  I'm pretty ambivalent on this storm, especially with the seasonal pattern this year.  We won't know for sure until inside 48 hours though.

10 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

The day you post something optimistic will be the day metsfan posts a 500 word discussion about the right exit of a jet streak and explains why the 500mb maps are displaced from surface features.

:)

Oh he might post it, but it'll be written by someone else ;-)

2 hours ago, Paragon said:

There's a chance that eastern LI gets screwed too.  I'm pretty ambivalent on this storm, especially with the seasonal pattern this year.  We won't know for sure until inside 48 hours though.

Oh no not you too!!!   

The only thing that’s certain right now is that we are uncertain. And that a storm signal is there. A big one. I could see a 2/99 repeat though.. that’s the underrated cousin of 2/5/10

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Oh no not you too!!!   

The only thing that’s certain right now is that we are uncertain. And that a storm signal is there. A big one. I could see a 2/99 repeat though.. that’s the underrated cousin of 2/5/10

Haha just trying not to get too excited.

lol 2/99 I had completely forgotten that until I saw the snowfall totals.

Difference of a west-east vs north-south gradient

Bad part is, either way our part of Long Island gets screwed.

I've noticed that this part of Long Island mainly jackpots during El Ninos- preferably moderate or strong ones.

Biggest snowstorms (20+ inches)  in my memory are 2/83, 2/03 (PD2) and of course 1/16- all in moderate or strong el ninos.

There is Jan 1996 too of course, but that buried everyone.

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Oh no not you too!!!   

Hopefully not a December 1981.  Just a cloudy windy day in NY.  A friend arrived from Boston with a mound of snow on the car.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived