Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That exact storm is not possible but a similar result is. As low of a probability as it is, it’s not off the table. If thing fully phases and heads up the cape cod canal it’s going to be on of the big ones

I remember the night before the January 2016 storm just giving up. I signed off the forum saying I fully expected to wake to see the Euro showing a completely OTS solution. Instead, I woke up to a forecasted bomb. My gut -- my totally unscientific gut, a gut with little knowledge but hoping to fake-out the weather gods -- is telling me the GooFuS isn't being so goofy this time around. We shall see.

4 hours ago, Mophstymeo said:

I remember the night before the January 2016 storm just giving up. I signed off the forum saying I fully expected to wake to see the Euro showing a completely OTS solution. Instead, I woke up to a forecasted bomb. My gut -- my totally unscientific gut, a gut with little knowledge but hoping to fake-out the weather gods -- is telling me the GooFuS isn't being so goofy this time around. We shall see.

To this day the fact I missed out on that kicks me in the gut. I thought Long Beach was good for a decent, 6” or so event 36 hours out but it made the last second reach north at the last minute after I could make plans to fly in from Austin. Judging by photos it was at least 24”. There was a huge snow drift the whole way up the side of my garage. I came back in February and saw the last few piles from it melting away. 

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

To this day the fact I missed out on that kicks me in the gut. I thought Long Beach was good for a decent, 6” or so event 36 hours out but it made the last second reach north at the last minute after I could make plans to fly in from Austin. Judging by photos it was at least 24”. There was a huge snow drift the whole way up the side of my garage. I came back in February and saw the last few piles from it melting away. 

Honestly, it was like Christmas -- and I'm Jewish! The only thing that diminished the storm a bit for me was that I threw my back out shoveling that Sunday morning. Never have I felt more exquisite pain.

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I miss getting frequent clippers and small events. This winter has more of that feel rather than the blockbuster scenarios of the last few years.

These are minute events though lol, these were a dime a dozen in the 80s.  We haven't lacked 1-3" events, those are fairly common, what we lacked are the in-betweeners, the 4-6 and 6-8 inch events.  Those keep the snowcover going and pile one on top of the other.  I'd like to get four 6 inch events over ten 1-3 inch events or just one 2 ft event for that matter.

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

30 inches + man!

24 inches my 2 feet haha, it was significantly more than PD2 and I have the pics of both to prove it and compare them.

I used up 2 32 GB flash cards in images and videos on that storm.

5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That exact storm is not possible but a similar result is. As low of a probability as it is, it’s not off the table. If thing fully phases and heads up the cape cod canal it’s going to be on of the big ones

I hope one day some mad scientist develops technology to control the weather and puts that exact storm on repeat lol, except I'd be more giving to my northern brethren and let them share in the snow lol.

I hate sharp cut offs.

10 hours ago, tdenzler said:

Walked across the Great South Bay to the barrier islands off Amityville that year..

Brutal cold and incredibly thick ice.... never seen ice like that since than...

The current outbreak just may rival it.... also like this year's... Snow was limited....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

maybe we'll have an el nino next year and get a 77-78 kind of winter.

12 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

It's a wrap -- 2017 forecast contest results all posted above.

We had some very close finishes and three different forecasters won the top honors, RJay overall, DonSutherland1 for the "original six" and RodneyS for the western contest. BKViking, wxallannj and SD all did quite well and the chase pack was very close behind them. 

Congrats to the various winners, and good luck in 2018.

Post your thoughts ... 

The champ is here!!

Suck it Bx

tenor (6).gif

7 hours ago, Paragon said:

These are minute events though lol, these were a dime a dozen in the 80s.  We haven't lacked 1-3" events, those are fairly common, what we lacked are the in-betweeners, the 4-6 and 6-8 inch events.  Those keep the snowcover going and pile one on top of the other.  I'd like to get four 6 inch events over ten 1-3 inch events or just one 2 ft event for that matter.

Not nearly as common as they used to be. I could be content going a whole season with a string of 2-6" events and forego the biggies. Partially because shoveling is easier and as one ages that's definitely a consideration but more importantly it's a sign of deeply layered cold rather than transient cooldowns and warmups. 

Okay you guys are my friends so I happen to tell you guys my secret I control the storm systems locations in our area, the last few days I've been positioning it westerly but not enough to get this a major hit. I just made that adjustment and positioned the low at benchmark. The next nam will be NAM'D and you best believe it. All the models will show a broader precipitation up to Pennsylvania border. NYC is going to be in the death band and get a foot+ of snow. I will have the MAM snow map later this evening as my day consists of bitcoin and litecoin trading. I posted this on banter because nobody believes me but they will soon and I figured the mods will delete my comment. Enjoy the snow my fellow :weenie:

Final call NYC 12 HARTFORD 10 BOSTON 14

At this juncture I’m starting to think I should push my ideas from the other day about 50 miles west. So the main deform and highest totals over central Suffolk instead of the forks. Major accumulations greater then 6” now back to the city. There will most likely be a secondary heavy band displaced to the NW. where that develops is the big question. 

As I have previously stated I control the positioning of low pressures with my mind and I have been moving this storm to the benchmark position the past 24 hours. I now am working on positionng this low pressure more tucked in resulting in much heavier snows around our region. I expect 12 inches of snow for central park. Enjoy the snow my fellow :weenie:

Love it when the AFD conveys some personality :

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...
So far this winter we`ve had intense cold. However for this
winter to really rank up there for an overall memorable winter
known for cold and snow in these parts such as 1977-1978,
1993-1994 or 1995-1996, it needs to deliver with the snow. This
looks about to change.

23 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

As I have previously stated I control the positioning of low pressures with my mind and I have been moving this storm to the benchmark position the past 24 hours. I now am working on positionng this low pressure more tucked in resulting in much heavier snows around our region. I expect 12 inches of snow for central park. Enjoy the snow my fellow :weenie:

Your completely nuts. But it did work out this time. At least for the island. We still have to see where the westernmost heavy band sets up before we start claiming victory for the city-west.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived