Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

What a frigid day.

Left this morning with -8F on my car, and came home at 2:45pm to my car saying 11F when I pulled in the driveway.

PWS around here are ranging from 8-12F this afternoon in this area. 

Nothing like low-teens for afternoon highs under full sunshine. We've had some crazy cold air masses this December it seems.

Untitled.jpg.851e17d76ab9d75ca24347a5ff14aebc.jpg

Odd that the lower elevation sites in northern Vermont are the coldest... shallow air mass? 

KFSO (250ft) had a high of 10F, while KMVL (700ft) and KEFK (750ft) look like they should have highs of 11F or so.  KEFK even came in at 7F at 2:15pm which is bone-chilling for middle of the afternoon.

Spots like KCDA and KMPV both over 1,000ft were several degrees warmer all afternoon.

Dec_17.jpg.24e26c183822f7756c37dc11d0afaca4.jpg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoth said:

That was a sick final quarter of the Pats' game. Final minute especially. Back and forth, ups and downs, shocks and reversals. That last second interception to win the game brought back happy winter memories. Maybe this resets the deck for us karma wise going forward. Think snow. Think snow.

Finding out there are a lot of people that really don't know the rules of football.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, CoastalWx said:

First time in years I can recall ponds freezing up solid this early. 

Kennebec ice caught in Augusta over the weekend, earlier than usual but not all that uncommon.  The week of 15-21 is my coldest 7-day stretch of Dec, averaging 19.3.  By the week of 22-28 it climbs to 21.5 (thanks to Grinches), then heads downward.  In cold Decembers, this is pond freeze-up week.  (In the 2015 disaster, freeze-up came in 2016.)

Last 5 days' minima:  0, -10, 2, -3, about -7 this AM.  Highs ranged from 16 to 24.  Dec now 2.5F BN. 

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Kennebec ice caught in Augusta over the weekend, earlier than usual but not all that uncommon.  The week of 15-21 is my coldest 7-day stretch of Dec, averaging 19.3.  By the week of 22-28 it climbs to 21.5 (thanks to Grinches), then heads downward.  In cold Decembers, this is pond freeze-up week.  (In the 2015 disaster, freeze-up came in 2016.)

Last 5 days' minima:  0, -10, 2, -3, about -7 this AM.  Highs ranged from 16 to 24.  Dec now 2.5F BN. 

Looks like Jackman took the top spot in our CWA with -13, though Big Black River takes the state at -17. 

38 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The spatial and temporal resolution is high enough that you can actually see the fire front move when it's in rapid advance (like the Santa Rosa fire was a couple months ago). 

The site I used for GOES 16 is down because they still say they are repositing it.  Should be about complete.  Ocean, where are you getting images from?

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

The site I used for GOES 16 is down because they still say they are repositing it.  Should be about complete.  Ocean, where are you getting images from?

It reached it destination 4 days ago, but officially it won't be operational until they test all the sensors (I think either this week or next). But images are back flowing to AWIPS. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It reached it destination 4 days ago, but officially it won't be operational until they test all the sensors (I think either this week or next). But images are back flowing to AWIPS. 

Its back https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/goes/abi/goesEastconusband02.html

http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-s-goes-16-now-at-goes-east-ready-to-improve-forecasts-even-more

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

CON is 10F colder than MOS at the 15z ob. Still 24F at home. Without some sun the "warmth" today could be another fail.

Just drove down to Newfound Lake a mile from the house.  23F.  Yet back here on the hill its a warm 35.5F with a south breeze.  After 11 days below freezing 35F seems so warm.  Warm air is just above surface up here in Central NH.

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just drove down to Newfound Lake a mile from the house.  23F.  Yet back here on the hill its a warm 35.5F with a south breeze.  After 11 days below freezing 35F seems so warm.  Warm air is just above surface up here in Central NH.

We'll mix out soon. The sun is out at home and it's up a quick 2F to 26F.

Archived