NORTH EAST             6.0   849 PM 12/26  SNOW SPOTTER
   ERI AIRPORT            5.5   700 PM 12/26  STORM TOTAL 60.5
   ERIE                   5.2   645 PM 12/26  STORM TOTAL 38.1
   NORTH EAST 2SE         4.0   734 PM 12/26  SNOW SPOTTER
   MCKEAN                 4.0   700 PM 12/26  STORM TOTAL 20.5
   HARBORCREEK TWP        3.8   600 PM 12/26  SNOW SPOTTER
   SUMMIT TWP             2.0   646 PM 12/26  SNOW SPOTTER
   WATTSBURG              0.9   653 PM 12/26  STORM TOTAL 7.1

Winner and still dumping snow at the airport.

On 12/24/2017 at 3:50 PM, eekuasepinniW said:

I think I almost slipped and died about 60 times today.

Finally got my steps clear after dragging out a hose and connecting it to hot water.

My ISS battery just died. Trudging out in 15” of snow at 2F in the middle of the night was not fun.

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

My ISS battery just died. Trudging out in 15” of snow at 2F in the middle of the night was not fun.

I usually do fall and spring maintenance to avoid that but it looks like I'll have to replace my battery mid-season.  My base stopped connecting to the station.  Not fun trying to do that so I feel for you.  At least I have the manual stuff as well.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Brutal. They are quite good at selecting the absolute worst time to die.

Both of my extra temp stations died when I was away.  One just transmits 41 and the other only transmits -90.  This causes me unbearable stress because I have no idea what temp my windmill palm and magnolia are at. 

Low of -1.0

The channel has a skim of ice all the way up to the bridge.

Also, we're now getting phone calls about the Springer's Jewelers 6" snow promotion for Christmas.

Apparently they said all jewelry purchased between 11/24 and 12/9 would be free if it snowed 6" outside the Market Street store (PSM) Christmas Day.  A company was hired to do the measuring, but they aren't announcing it until 1/5!! No wonder people are coming at us for the answer.

But we don't have a coop close to PSM.  

20 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Also, we're now getting phone calls about the Springer's Jewelers 6" snow promotion for Christmas.

Apparently they said all jewelry purchased between 11/24 and 12/9 would be free if it snowed 6" outside the Market Street store (PSM) Christmas Day.  A company was hired to do the measuring, but they aren't announcing it until 1/5!! No wonder people are coming at us for the answer.

My employer is the company they hired. We're still sorting through the data just to be 100% because there's a large sum of insurance money on the table, but higher up has the final say because there's a lot of buzz over this. It's really close.

7 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

My employer is the company they hired. We're still sorting through the data just to be 100% because there's a large sum of insurance money on the table, but higher up has the final say because there's a lot of buzz over this. It's really close.

Good luck! :lol:

We have observers at PSM, but they don't report anything other than snow depth in the metars (it went up 5" BTW). 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Which actually gets me thinking...

Was the contest for 6.0” or 6”? If the former, then technically a 5.5” total would verify 6”+.

It's 6.0".

Something like 5.9" isn't good enough for the insurance to cover the loss, hypothetically speaking.

30 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

lol I'm pretty sure I heard about that on the news up here out of the BTV stations.  I remember hearing something about people wondering if they get free jewelry.

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

I'd comment on what we found, but the legal world is a very sensitive one.

Definitely in your best interest to not say anything if you like your job, lol.  Next thing you know it'll be on the news.  You'd be surprise how many media people watch these threads sometimes.

My question is, how do you get an insurance company to sign on to something like that, lol.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely in your best interest to not say anything if you like your job, lol.  Next thing you know it'll be on the news.  You'd be surprise how many media people watch these threads sometimes.

My question is, how do you get an insurance company to sign on to something like that, lol.

Reminds me of Jordan’s furniture in 2004 giving out free furniture if the Sox swept the WS. Sounded like a nice deal considering they hadn’t even won the WS in 86 years. Oops. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Reminds me of Jordan’s furniture in 2004 giving out free furniture if the Sox swept the WS. Sounded like a nice deal considering they hadn’t even won the WS in 86 years. Oops. 

Yeah I mean, insurance companies are all about probabilities and statistics, but they are also the most risk-adverse people out there.  How do you sit down and say, well what we want to do is have you hand out a lot of money if it snows 6" on Christmas Day.  And someone at the company had to say "Yes, that sounds like a good idea."  But if it snows 6" on Christmas, your insurance premiums are going up 100K a year after that lol.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean, insurance companies are all about probabilities and statistics, but they are also the most risk-adverse people out there.  How do you sit down and say, well what we want to do is have you hand out a lot of money if it snows 6" on Christmas Day.  And someone at the company had to say "Yes, that sounds like a good idea."  But if it snows 6" on Christmas, your insurance premiums are going up 100K a year after that.

6” in SE NH in late December isn’t even a big deal. Maybe the relentless Grinch storms and torches gave a false sense that Christmas is no longer a winter day.

Just now, dendrite said:

6” in SE NH in late December isn’t even a big deal. Maybe the relentless Grinch storms and torches gave a false sense that Christmas is no longer a winter day.

Yeah that's whats surprising.  There are so many ways to get 6" in late December.... heck even some random invert trough or something and PSM is in a perfect spot for that sort of stuff.  Or a SWFE.  Or a coastal.  Or some fluffy clipper.  I mean I can't believe the probabilities are that low. 

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You'd be surprised. Everything in the insurance world is a calculated risk in favor of profit for everyone involved.

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm more upset that Springer's wanted to wait until 1/5 to announce, that's a long for people to wonder. 

I know we're making no comment on the contest. 

Yeah, it's interesting considering we're about to give the data back to Springer's and their insurance provider. They must be legal-proofing everything considering how public this contest is and that'll take time, whether PSM made it to 6.0" or not. 

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

LOL I was at Busch Stadium watching Game 4 of that World Series. Surreal moment to be part of even in a loss.

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I mean there is your evidence that the Grinch storm is a real phenomenon, if insurance companies are agreeing to this promotion. :lol:

I had not heard about this contest.  Seems like it could become very messy if the total was right around 6".   With the Jordan's contest either the Red Sox won or lost the Series.  A wind driven snow event with totals around 6" seems open to lawsuits etc.  especially if someone bought a very expensive item.  We all know how snow measurements go.  Was there a board?  Was it cleared after 6 hours?  Did someone verify or take pictures?  This will be interesting to see how it plays out..

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean, insurance companies are all about probabilities and statistics, but they are also the most risk-adverse people out there.  How do you sit down and say, well what we want to do is have you hand out a lot of money if it snows 6" on Christmas Day.  And someone at the company had to say "Yes, that sounds like a good idea."  But if it snows 6" on Christmas, your insurance premiums are going up 100K a year after that lol.

They get a big fat sum up front, tbey do enough if these to come out ahead even if they lose a few here and there. Remember the one in NYC a few years ago,  don' remember the company but they needed 6 inches and most of new York proper had like 10 inches and they measured 4 or 5 in central park so the ins company didn't pay out.

There was a similar one in Worcester in 2002 for Christmas...the promotion I believe was also for 6 inches. They ended up getting 13.5" (though 3" of that was after midnight on the 26th)....so it wasn't close. Though I remember hearing some ridiculous story about the insurance company trying to claim 5" where the wind had scoured the snow, lol. Not sure if that was true or not, but they definitely had to pay out in the end.

Archived