joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Some don't like Windex and call it a fraud, that Pic is epic

I actually flew the drone and measured how far specific trees are from the house so I can be more accurate.  That tree line is 500 feet away.  So 1/10th of a mile.  Since you can still see the trees I am guessing we were at 1/8th of a mileish.  People throw around  zero visibility but that almost never happens.  I have only seen that once and it was on a winter ride in the snowcat up Mt Washington on Jan 1 2008.  When you can't see literally 20 feet in front of you that's zero visibility.  Today for about 5 minutes is the closest I ever get!  Love snow squalls.  While they are brief so much better then synoptic heavy snow...

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I actually flew the drone and measured how far specific trees are from the house so I can be more accurate.  That tree line is 500 feet away.  So 1/10th of a mile.  Since you can still see the trees I am guessing we were at 1/8th of a mileish.  People throw around  zero visibility but that almost never happens.  I have only seen that once and it was on a winter ride in the snowcat up Mt Washington on Jan 1 2008.  When you can't see literally 20 feet in front of you that's zero visibility.  Today for about 5 minutes is the closest I ever get!  Love snow squalls.  While they are brief so much better then synoptic heavy snow...

Jan 15 I have a pic of my UCONN Huskies flag 20 feet from me, you can barely see it. Dec 09 same thing

Just now, dendrite said:

Had a squall with possibly the lowest vis I’ve ever seen on my backyard cam between 420-440p. The trees were totally obscured. The RWIS sites reported 1/5SM. Came back from an Xmas party right now and measured 0.8”/0.02”.

I guess I have an hour before it clears to 5-9pm so here it is.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/northfield-nh/2-backyard-cam-4hr-timelapse.htm

On 12/15/2017 at 9:52 AM, dendrite said:

Unfortunately I can't find an actual H85 temp to save my life on there. Maue has plenty of H85 T anomaly maps though. I want the actual raw H7, H85, and H92 temps though.

Maue must be reading this thread because low and behold, the T850s are on there. Great job over there Ryan. H7 omega would be great too. :clap:

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Have you had any diamond dust yet?

I *think* I had some this morning with 2 caveats - #1 we had a little fog earlier on (my spot has freezing fog almost every morning), so it could just be from that? #2 the resort has been making snow off the wazoo and we do get some tiny flakes that make it all the way here if the wind is right. But it didn’t seem like that was the case this morning 

10 minutes ago, alex said:

I *think* I had some this morning with 2 caveats - #1 we had a little fog earlier on (my spot has freezing fog almost every morning), so it could just be from that? #2 the resort has been making snow off the wazoo and we do get some tiny flakes that make it all the way here if the wind is right. But it didn’t seem like that was the case this morning 

And to illustrate that point, this is what the ski slopes look like right now from my house. It’s very volcano-like

F310CC8D-1F9F-4B1B-80F6-6A93E4C9F13A.jpeg

Well you probably won’t notice much fog or clouds with true diamond dust. Generally it happens near saturation at much colder temps...to the point where the moisture that condenses out goes directly to ice crystals. Usually you need to approach -30F or colder for that. Think cirrus clouds and the temps (level) they form at. That’s essentially all diamond dust (IC) is...a cirrus cloud at the sfc. They sparkle in the early morning sun and almost seem to suspend or slowly fall. They create sun dogs and halos just like cirrus clouds too. There’s some good vids out there on youtube of them. 

Without bantering the model thread more. I figured I would post this here.

During the winter of 2005 my wife and another couple decided to go to Akumal in October for my Birthday. We have stayed at Akumal for many years previously in October. This was the only time in over 10 years of prepaying for everything and getting evacuated. We had our own house and car so we drove to Merida after the home was ordered to evacuate. We paid for another vacation there (1 week in a hotel) due to no flights out of the entire Yucatán and then finally got out a week later thanks to our rental car company coming to Merida to collect us and the car we did not abandon,  got lucky as a lot of tourists were left there longer without accommodations. I am going back the same week next year for my 50th. But lesson is buy insurance and if you go to a destination that may or may not be the optimal weather your looking for because of "possible let downs" aka no snow or a cat 5 deal with it or don't book at times that they frequently happen. I am going to take that risk and hopefully the week of 10-26-18 does not have anything brewing in the Caribbean. But that is the chance we take. I am also booking a snow mobile tour for late February with these guys www.sledheadventures.com hopefully snow on the ground.

We all make plans,  sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But Mother Nature is never going to be the same all the time.

Here is for hoping for some more cold and snow near the Canadian border through march and warm and tranquility in the Caribbean in October 2018!

Archived