joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Anyone catch the Geminds last night?

"Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket; save it for a rainy day."  (From the 50s?  40s?)

After 10 minutes in clear and crisp, breezy 6F temps about 9 last night, I gave up w/o seeing anything but the regular stars - the dog had seen enough, too, and was waiting at the door.  Was out just before 5 this AM, but it was cloudy, temp up to about 10, still breezy.

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

By far coldest day of the year.

High of 10F at 700ft at MVL...below zero all day up high on the mountain.

A day of 10/-1 for max/min with 10" of snow on the ground is some wintry appeal for sure.

Even the dog isn't very interested in going outside for the afternoon walk.

What was MPV? It seems MVL runs a bit chilly. I suppose it could be right.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

What was MPV? It seems MVL runs a bit chilly. I suppose it could be right.

Today's did seem a little cold because usually MVL is a couple degrees warming in the afternoon and a couple degrees colder in the morning.  The classic wide open mountain valley field climo with higher diurnal ranges.  But today it just never seemed to warm up for whatever reason?  I would've expected 12-13F or so.

It's hard to tell because it is usually within range of various PWS.

Like right now... it is 3F and by far the coldest station around.  I mean compared to most of the rest of the New England ASOS sites that's frigid.

aQxVot1.jpg

But whenever I check against local PWS, it seems possible.  MVL is the black circled station with 3F.  However there are a few stations around there in the 0F to 4F range. 

I mean it doesn't seem impossible given other readings around it.  The closest stations to it are showing 0F and 4F.

Untitled.jpg.890989b7caa49815cbd4bae4dc69c130.jpg

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Trying to go calm here now. BML and HIE are off to the races...both down to -2F.

My money is on BML... I always sort of thought HIE was the colder of the two (talking very minor differences, but still) though BML has been doing real well this fall and early winter. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My money is on BML... I always sort of thought HIE was the colder of the two (talking very minor differences, but still) though BML has been doing real well this fall and early winter. 

HIE can go wild with snow cover. -4F now while BML is up to +1. It's like another world on the north side of the mtns.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today's did seem a little cold because usually MVL is a couple degrees warming in the afternoon and a couple degrees colder in the morning.  The classic wide open mountain valley field climo with higher diurnal ranges.  But today it just never seemed to warm up for whatever reason?  I would've expected 12-13F or so.

I mean it doesn't seem impossible given other readings around it. 

Untitled.jpg.890989b7caa49815cbd4bae4dc69c130.jpg

I know I posted on this when it happened but the MVL ASOS set-up was moved like a year and a half ago.  It's always had a real mountain valley climate with high-diurnal range but I wonder if the move changed anything towards slightly colder readings than the prior location.

Some quick google maps... the old ASOS spot was right on the road.  RT 100 sees the most traffic of any road around (as you can only go north to south locally with 3,000+ft ridgelines to the east and west), no idea if that road traffic makes a difference though. 

NZQYhpZ.jpg

The new spot is listed as 30 feet lower... from 730ft to 700ft, as the field gradually slopes towards the Ryder Brook.

ydHwZMF.jpg

Here's the overall view with the slight change in location.

From the road to the toe of the slope before it pitches off another 20 feet into the brook drainage.  If you thought of the surrounding climate of a tree-less mountain valley climate with big wide open areas, being closer to the drainage path would be the cooler option in certain situations.  Shallow air masses are the first to show up and last to leave near the lowest terrain depression in field climo.

6TDh8cU.jpg

Archived