Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a similar one in Worcester in 2002 for Christmas...the promotion I believe was also for 6 inches. They ended up getting 13.5" (though 3" of that was after midnight on the 26th)....so it wasn't close. Though I remember hearing some ridiculous story about the insurance company trying to claim 5" where the wind had scoured the snow, lol. Not sure if that was true or not, but they definitely had to pay out in the end.

I mean if they really wanted to make sure they didn't have to dish out free stuff, just get the guy to measure the snow in Winthrop. :ph34r:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a similar one in Worcester in 2002 for Christmas...the promotion I believe was also for 6 inches. They ended up getting 13.5" (though 3" of that was after midnight on the 26th)....so it wasn't close. Though I remember hearing some ridiculous story about the insurance company trying to claim 5" where the wind had scoured the snow, lol. Not sure if that was true or not, but they definitely had to pay out in the end.

Rotman's right? We were just talking about that at work. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely in your best interest to not say anything if you like your job, lol.  Next thing you know it'll be on the news.  You'd be surprise how many media people watch these threads sometimes.

My question is, how do you get an insurance company to sign on to something like that, lol.

You pay a fat premium, maybe something like 10% of the previous year's gross sales for the same period.  And maybe the odds aren't all that great.  Prior to Monday's 8.0", my greatest 12/25 snowfall 1998-2016 was a mere 1.5" in 2011.  Looking at all Dec 6.0"+, I've recorded 19 calendar days hitting/exceeding the mark, with 4 double dippers, thus only 15 of 31 days have had a 6-incher, in 19 Decembers.  Using just 12/21-31 doesn't move the needle much, 8 qualifiers on 6 different dates. 

Most ludicrous somewhat similar offer I've ever seen came from a CAR lawn and garden outfit, offering a 20% rebate for snowblowers if the winter after the sale had less than 50% of the average snowfall.  Since CAR's lowest snow winter in 78 years of record is slightly above that halfway point, the store wasn't risking much.

34 minutes ago, Newman said:

I know a lot of you guys were on the old EasternWX website. I was not. But I found an urban dictionary post about "easternuswx". 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=easternuswx

LOL could someone explain this to me?

Pretty old entry.  Wonder who put that up

Archived