Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I take it you haven't been in lake effect very often. That stuff is literally like 30 to 1 and sometimes 40 to 1. You can get 5" per hour but it compacts very quickly. 

The jan 2015 storm was like that but not as extreme. It was like 20 to 1 stuff for a good chunk of that deformation band over ORH. I was right in it and it reminded me of lake effect. Perfect dendrites and cold temp and despite it being a blizzard, the winds were not that strong during the meat of that band. Not strong enough to shatter the dendrites anyway so the ratios were maintained pretty well. I had 34.5" but prob never reached a depth over 28-29" and that included like 4" OTG before the storm started. 

so then you really only had a peak depth of 24-25 inches from that storm and 28-29 peak depth combined?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

so then you really only had a peak depth of 24-25 inches from that storm and 28-29 peak depth combined?

Yes. Total fluff. It's possible I got as high as 30-31 at the peak. I wasn't keeping tabs on the depth as closely as the storm total itself. Gotta remember too that the 2015 blizzard was basically a 30 hour storm. It wasn't 15-18 hours like feb 2013 or jan 2011. You'll get extra compaction too on the shoulders of a 30 hour storm. 

2015 might have broken the record for a single storm but the impact was definitely less than a storm like December 1992 or April 1997. 

So my wife wanted a CCTV system to watch our dogs and our fostered rescues while we are at work, so I got her one for Christmas hoping to convince her we needed a web cam outside. So I bought one internal CCTV cam, she loves it and now my 2 other interior cams are on the way and an outside cam. Life lesson for the newly or about to be married.Give her what she wants but always have a plan lol just kidding.  Anyway video and web is very cool. Vimtag 89 bucks each camera, if you want cloud you can buy it. Ptz, motion detection, 2 way audio. So far so good. Our rescue Tigger playing with foster Zoe

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I need to ditch this head cold so I can drink my good beers tomorrow night.

I have a bottle of Dinner (Maine Beer), and some Nuclear Whim with a Fuse of a Mile (Bissell).

Nothing worse than having a cold to **** with your taste buds.

Have never had any Bissell.  Hidden Cove and Maine have been what I've had.

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nothing worse than having a cold to **** with your taste buds.

Have never had any Bissell.  Hidden Cove and Maine have been what I've had.

Bissell is very good, especially if you like the hoppy stuff.

Swish is in my top 5. Substance and Industry vs. Inferiority are good singles, a DDH (Reciprocal), a rye PA (Lux), and Baby Genius if you want a session.

They're starting to branch out into other styles now too. I tend to not fight the crowds for cases and just do the tasters instead.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Bissell is very good, especially if you like the hoppy stuff.

Swish is in my top 5. Substance and Industry vs. Inferiority are good singles, a DDH (Reciprocal), a rye PA (Lux), and Baby Genius if you want a session.

They're starting to branch out into other styles now too. I tend to not fight the crowds for cases and just do the tasters instead.

Yeah, I like IPAs but I like most styles outside of Belgians and Fruity ones.  Stouts, Porters, Browns, Ryes, you name it, I've likely had it.

Agree on waits, no way I'm waiting more that 10-15min to grab beer. Been lucky hitting Trillium.  No wait grabbing some top notch brews.  I like the small craft places.

OT but had to share this one:  My mom, age 83, has been going through radiation TX  for breast cancer at Mass General. (Good prognosis) So, I was talking to her on the phone tonight and she starts telling me about this nice man she was chatting with in the waiting room yesterday. She told me he seemed a little down so she shared some positive words of advice about never giving up and how it's our mission to stick around as long as possible. She said they had a nice chat and good laughs once he cheered up. She told me his name was Jerry and that he used to play for the Red Sox but is now one of their TV announcers.   :lol:

The story is so good because she had no idea who he was nor did she care, she just wanted to cheer him up! 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I need to ditch this head cold so I can drink my good beers tomorrow night.

I have a bottle of Dinner (Maine Beer), and some Nuclear Whim with a Fuse of a Mile (Bissell).

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, I like IPAs but I like most styles outside of Belgians and Fruity ones.  Stouts, Porters, Browns, Ryes, you name it, I've likely had it.

Agree on waits, no way I'm waiting more that 10-15min to grab beer. Been lucky hitting Trillium.  No wait grabbing some top notch brews.  I like the small craft places.

This week Sierra Nevada dropped two new awesome IPA's. Hop Bullet Double IPA, and Hazy Little Thing New England style IPA. 

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

OT but had to share this one:  My mom, age 83, has been going through radiation TX  for breast cancer at Mass General. (Good prognosis) So, I was talking to her on the phone tonight and she starts telling me about this nice man she was chatting with in the waiting room yesterday. She told me he seemed a little down so she shared some positive words of advice about never giving up and how it's our mission to stick around as long as possible. She said they had a nice chat and good laughs once he cheered up. She told me his name was Jerry and that he used to play for the Red Sox but is now one of their TV announcers.   :lol:

The story is so good because she had no idea who he was nor did she care, she just wanted to cheer him up! 

That's a great uplifting story. Good luck to Nonnie

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

The only way  I could drink that skunk piss is with a sinus infection and pneumonia 

It’s dirt cheap haha. 

But I really love IPA’s...especially double IPA’s. Only thing I get when I go out to reataurabts. Every once in a while I’ll get a 6 or 12 pack of something but it’s just so expensive. 

10 hours ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, And here too, Can see it on my trucks tonneau cover.

I feel like every 12 hours we've had a dusting of snow on the cars but it never adds up to more than a few tenths at best.  Like a skim film of snow.  I imagine this is what its like in Siberia most of the winter.  Cold, hazy visibility, and a persistent film coating of snow on everything.  Even the small twigs have some of that super-small crystal snow on them, looks like rime but it's not.

Right now its snowing out enough to measure a tenth or two and need to do a quick brush of the car, but the moon is clearly visible above the haze.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like every 12 hours we've had a dusting of snow on the cars but it never adds up to more than a few tenths at best.  Like a skim film of snow.  I imagine this is what its like in Siberia most of the winter.  Cold, hazy visibility, and a persistent film coating of snow on everything.  Even the small twigs have some of that super-small crystal snow on them, looks like rime but it's not.

Right now its snowing out enough to measure a tenth or two and need to do a quick brush of the car, but the moon is clearly visible above the haze.

Not often we get these conditions to promote diamond dust here, I have experienced it in northern maine though on a few occasions, But we don't typically see these arctic temps below zero consecutive nights down this way either........lol

8 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

ok Erie PA makes news with 65 inches of snow and the peak depth is around 30 inches on the 26th and down to 14 this morning????

they measure and clear the board every hour?? geez

so for impact they really just had a 25-30 inch snowstorm???

such bs....65 inches

It's all about that QPF.  Comparing the liquid equivalent is a good way to do it.

Regardless... it snowed.

snow-outside-home-in-erie-pa-instagram-p

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol no my last name, shortened, was my Dads Nick name when he was a Football coach. Mr Ginx

Kev there is a microbrewery in Danielson now, not bad. Bought this, dark stout

20171230_191727.jpg

A buddy of mine went there and said they had decent beers. One of the best around is Fox Farm in Norwich. Just sick, sick IPA’s and doubles 

Just now, dryslot said:

Not often we get these conditions to promote diamond dust here, I have experienced it in northern maine though on a few occasions, But we don't typically see these arctic temps below zero consecutive nights down this way either........lol

Sometimes I honestly can't tell what is diamond dust and what is legit -SN.  It seems like the moon is always visible but like tonight, its probably light snow as the flakes are just so incredibly tiny.

It's only -2F out so doubt its diamond dust.  I generally think of that as early morning stuff...like 12z time frame. 

Archived