• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

No way to hide it, NAM and NAM Para both were a nod to one of the worst case scenarios here...a late blooming quick hitter.  Looked like the morning Euro, but worse/weaker.

It really only resembled the Euro on the precip field...thermally it was colder and the setup aloft looked more like the GFS/CMC/UKMET I thought with a bastardized precip shield

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

How does it handle temps? Someone said its warm also?

NAM is known for its superiority in forecasting low level cold air events, i.e. damming signatures, 2m readings etc.. not sure how it would do in what was as paltry of an 0z run as what was shown tonight. Almost like a southwest flow event rather than an organized system. 

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

No way to hide it, NAM and NAM Para both were a nod to one of the worst case scenarios here...a late blooming quick hitter.  Looked like the morning Euro, but worse/weaker.

Well, it looks like our fun is headed down the drain.  Sigh.

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

NAM is known for its superiority in forecasting low level cold air events, i.e. damming signatures, 2m readings etc.. not sure how it would do in what was as paltry of an 0z run as what was shown tonight. Almost like a southwest flow event rather than an organized system. 

I was just about to say the same thing..... 500mb looks really weak. We need something to jump-start this system.

5 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

I was just about to say the same thing..... 500mb looks really weak. We need something to jump-start this system.

NAM is usually chastised for being overamped as well, thus another alarm for concern. Who knows tho it could be pulling a NAM on us, although the GFS the way its going will have the low skirting havana soon lol.

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It really only resembled the Euro on the precip field...thermally it was colder and the setup aloft looked more like the GFS/CMC/UKMET I thought with a bastardized precip shield

It's a really weird setup.  As has been discussed, ideally we get good stream separation.  UKMet and GFS have more of that IMO, and the UKMet sharpens the wave in the SE.  But the wacky part is if we don't get stream separation, it's almost better to have the southern piece try to catch up with and get out ahead of the northern stream kind of like the CMC is doing.  The NAM to me is the worst case, as it's kind of in between the 2, so it's just a weak quick hitter.  This setup is a thread the needle case to the max, per usual down here.  I was surprised that the TV mets jumped on some snow forecasts today.  I think a more conservative play would have been warranted given the unsteady modeling.

21 minutes ago, griteater said:

Right on.

It boils down to the gulf wave being able to get it together in time for us. Step 1 is avoid as much shearing pre hour 60 up in the nw(it's gonna get pulled on, no if an butts), step 2 slow down some, step 3 ride the gom and track up through the big bend area off jax not central florida.

Biggest thing I'd like to see gfs improve on is being closer to gom shoreline. Hopefully that speed thorn in the side on 0z nam, last night 0z euro wont verify.

Archived