Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I truly believe the GFS is having a hell of a time with that "blob" of heavy returns aka the low popping near TPA. Some form of convective feedback is not allowing it to show what the setup should be in regards to precip at 850, although it does look like it gets heavier returns back into WNC this run. Im banking on a compromise between the 3 global models at this point. Look for the GFS to start making its move back more NW over the next couple of days. Got a good feeling about this one for the board. 

Lil heavier precp bands from 18z GFS compared to 12z GFS better accumulations perhaps a slightly better returns in the northern parts. I do believe the end results could be similar to this but I would move the heaviest bands thru GA about 25-40 miles due NW based off GFS suppression bias as low tracks a little more north of Tampa in end results I believe?

Just now, Poimen said:

At some point the GFS will have to come NW with its surface low placement, which should in theory shift that precip shield north as well. As it is, it tracks the low from south of Tampa to south of Cape Canaveral. I highly doubt that track. 

how many times have we seen this setup on the gfs over the years, absolutely perfect look at this point and temps should be good for much of sc even with nw shift.

5 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

beautiful look 96hrs out. can't ask for much more, temps ideal and plenty of qpf to our south.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_16.png

3 minutes ago, Poimen said:

At some point the GFS will have to come NW with its surface low placement, which should in theory shift that precip shield north as well. As it is, it tracks the low from south of Tampa to south of Cape Canaveral. I highly doubt that track. 

We keep thinking it will shift NW because that has happened in the past, but seems the GFS keeps going further south with the precip.

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

how many times have we seen this setup on the gfs over the years, absolutely perfect look at this point and temps should be good for much of sc even with nw shift.

Yeah a low track from just south of LA to Jacksonville FL then ENE from there would be favored track for central and eastern NC, and a lot of GA/SC......the precip shield also always ends up much more expansive during the actual storm but there will be a wicked evil NW cutoff somewhere in NC.....if you blend the Euro and the GFS tracks that should be about where I mentioned above......

2 minutes ago, Poimen said:

You would think...it's so rare to have it that far south when there's blocking out the ying yang, but with no blocking?  Seems like it should be north.  Seems strange rooting for the NW trend, but for the GFS I hope it does.  I've got to believe the actual storm is going to be in between the GFS and the EURO.  That'll probably get most into a nice winter event. 

The GFS/NAM/UKMet are nice, stress free winter storms with good high pressure to the north and NE sfc winds (granted UKMet is amped and warmer)....but the Euro is struggling to produce consistent results with good cold air.  CMC is more convoluted with its evolution than the model progs would appear IMO as well.  I still see the CMC/Euro moreso converging with the GFS/NAM/UKMet going forward rather than a cave...and as always, the NW trend lurks regardless of how the models consolidate...still a ways out

The GFS/NAM/UKMet are nice, stress free winter storms with good high pressure to the north and NE sfc winds (granted UKMet is amped and warmer)....but the Euro is struggling to produce consistent results with good cold air.  CMC is more convoluted with its evolution than the model progs would appear IMO as well.  I still see the CMC/Euro moreso converging with the GFS/NAM/UKMet going forward rather than a cave...and as always, the NW trend lurks regardless of how the models consolidate...still a ways out

I sure hope you're right about a Northwest trend would like to get in on some of the action.

Archived