joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Solak said:

MHX

1/3/17 @ 3:05 PM:
**These are our initial thoughts on the upcoming possible winter weather this weekend. Minor changes in track will greatly affect the current scenario.**

A storm system will pass off the NC coast Friday night into Saturday and will initially bring a mix of rain and snow to the region. Then, rain will change to snow across inland portions of Eastern NC. The question remains where the rain/snow line will be, and how much of the precipitation falls as snow. We will keep you posted on the latest developments/changes over the next few days.

No automatic alt text available.

Really very bullish from them. Usually they are tight lipped 

4 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Canadian also showed the lakes low at 06z Saturday in nearly an identical spot. 

I wouldn't say 'also' because the NAM doesn't actually have a Great Lakes Low per the map I posted, but agree with you on the Canadian....it's in the non stream separation camp and doesn't have a good high to the north...somehow it works out for many areas though and is cold enough

FWIW, The JMA,ARPEGE, and UKMET have virtually identical timing and surface low track for our storm.  All of these models phase our storm and bring it up the SC coastline.

We don't have precip panels for the Ukmet, but the jma and Arpege are very wet. On the other hand, the Arpege is too warm for snow outside of the mountains; however, the jma is much colder and is dropping a foot or more up and down I-85.

Based off the 72hr Ukmet, it looks like it would be a compromise between the two models on 850 temps and set up the dividing line right along I-85 in the upstate of SC.

jma3.gif

ukmet.gif

arpege3.gif

Just now, griteater said:

buckeye - for the CAE office, that's the equivalent of saying a blizzard is coming

Yeah, nice to see the offices straight up saying...."It goin' to snow", just not sure how much.  

Feels like I've been tracking this thing forever. Really hoping it pays off.  Seems like a great setup and as previously discussed, this can only go so far NW right?  Right?  Anybody? **crickets***

4 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Yeah, nice to see the offices straight up saying...."It goin' to snow", just not sure how much.  

Feels like I've been tracking this thing forever. Really hoping it pays off.  Seems like a great setup and as previously discussed, this can only go so far NW right?  Right?  Anybody? **crickets***

D to the T agree

2071bw7.gif

10 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

FWIW, The JMA,ARPEGE, and UKMET have virtually identical timing and surface low track for our storm.  All of these models phase our storm and bring it up the SC coastline.

We don't have precip panels for the Ukmet, but the jma and Arpege are very wet. On the other hand, the Arpege is too warm for snow outside of the mountains; however, the jma is much colder and is dropping a foot or more up and down I-85.

Based off the 72hr Ukmet, it looks like it would be a compromise between the two models on 850 temps and set up the dividing line right along I-85 in the upstate of SC.

jma3.gif

ukmet.gif

arpege3.gif

You  can get Ukie Precip out to day 7 in this link.

http://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcgen/

The Euro has been counting on the pacific trough eating up most of the s/w energy and moving down into the GOM very quickly and temperature issues. The short term model NAM is saying "No there WILL be seperation" leading me to believe the Euro has been the outlier all along. Just my 2 cents 

If you blend the low tracks from all the different models you get your big snowstorm......the Ukie/Euro are probably to amped, the GFS is to weak and suppressed this is all exactly what we would expect the models to show if we are expecting a good hit.....I guess I am overly optimistic but this looks and feels like a classic setup for a typical big upper SE good snowstorm.....its never ever a guarantee in the SE, in fact as optimistic as I am I know it could and usually does go bad, that said it also does occasionally snow and snow good in the SE and this has all the makings of one of those times.....lets hope it the 1 in 50....

I wouldn't worry about the GL low on the NAM and CMC plenty of cold air will be available......

21 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

CAE keeps their thinking the same this evening ;)

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Friday and Saturday: Isentropic lift will strengthen across the
area on Friday as low pressure develops over the northern Gulf of
Mexico and spreads deep layered moisture into the region. Rain is
expected to increase in coverage during the day Friday, with the
greatest chances across the upper CSRA and middle/northern
Midlands.

The surface low will cross the northern Florida peninsula and
eject out into the Atlantic Friday night as a modified Arctic air
mass spreads southeast across the area. Have raised PoPs in the
forecast into the high chance or likely category Friday night into
Saturday morning. There remains some uncertainty with respect to
how quickly the cold air will advect in and how much precipitation
will be in place as it does so, but model consensus supports a
winter weather event across the area. While there could be some
mixed precipitation Friday night, prefer to leave any mention of
ice out of the forecast and just indicate rain mixing with and
eventually changing over to snow from the northwest later Friday
night into Saturday morning. Most of the area should experience
snow Saturday morning, but have kept a rain/snow mix in for the
eastern Midlands and lower CSRA in case the low tracks closer to
the coast. MOS temperatures appear too warm on Saturday, as raw
model output and soundings support considerably cooler
temperatures. For now we show highs in the mid and upper 30s
Saturday, but it`s very possible temperatures will remain nearly
steady or fall below freezing through the day. While there is the
potential for accumulating snowfall, it`s still too early to
determine amounts. However, impacts to travel are possible across
the area. The precipitation ends rather quickly Saturday
afternoon as the low pulls away to the northeast.

yeah I saw that as well, I am in the lower midlands so it will be worse if it mixed....

HOWEVER, I have to say this: no matter where you are at in regards to this storm, or how much precipitation comes or what form it will come in, it will freeze over due to below freezing lows (current forcast is 22 for me then 19 Sunday night) so I got to say I hope you all stay safe this weekend and if you need to be out on the roadways please be careful

1 minute ago, scottk said:

We have a Hazardous Weather Outlook for NE SC saying "WINTRY PRECIPITATION IS LIKELY TO DEVELOP LATE FRIDAY NIGHT OR ON SATURDAY" and a forecast for rain changing to snow Friday night and "Snow Likely" on Saturday with a high of 35.

But from reading this board, this appears a little premature, right?

I would go with 'possible' instead of 'likely'....JMO

31 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I know right?!   :lol:   While I'm very happy to see such optimism coming out of the office, I'm wondering who has spiked the kool-aid  ^_^   

Just make sure the portals are closed!  Remember, if I get a big hit, then it bodes well for you :)  I've got the moles busy cloning the 12z Goofy, so we have a chance it'll work out. T

Archived