• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

Just now, NCSNOW said:

That's a given now. We want as much left behind as possible don't get me wrong. But it's the energy oming down through the lakes hr 84ish and hoping the weak wave is on the gulf Coast and not halfway to the Yucatan per gfs.

Yeah we just need it to regain some of its characteristics as a decent wave. To kind of blossom to something decent. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like 2-3" for Central NC by 84 hours. Decent run from the NAM despite the interaction with the northern stream. We may want a mix between a little interaction and the energy digging south out west quicker. The Euro is a bit more south (out west with the s/w) than the GFS from the get go, with a bit more interaction too, which leads to a slight NW jog and not as suppressed. Ideally we'd want the s/w to halt and dig down on it's own, but I'm really starting to think that won't happen...so the silver lining here might have to be a lighter, more widespread event (<5") rather than a 6-10" localized to far SE NC. Good news is the NAM is horrible this far out (ha) and we still have the King to go tonight...huge run coming. 

2 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

There you go boys. Sitting dead right where the ukmet says it would be. 

Just 12 hours faster then the UK.  NAM can be on the speedy side of things. That run wasn't great and still got snow across a lot of areas.  I would take it.  

1 minute ago, Rankin5150 said:

If I am not mistaken, the  NAM is almost always FASTER than progged. It is still WAY early anyway...

Yeah, and the track record at 60-84 hours isn't too great, that's why they developed a 4km NAM only out to 60 hours. This is ungodly fast...possibly due to NS interaction, possibly due to the NAM being NAM. 

1 minute ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Before anyone lines up at the cliff, let see the rest of the 0z suite.

I was thinking we should go now.  But now that you mention it, I'll hang on a little longer.

In other news, I was thinking that we would start to see some significant shifts tonight with better data ingest.  I guess the night is still young.

1 minute ago, Jon said:

Yeah, and the track record at 60-84 hours isn't too great, that's why they developed a 4km NAM only out to 60 hours. This is ungodly fast...possibly due to NS interaction, possibly due to the NAM being NAM. 

Touche Jon! Amen to that. Besides, the NAM sucks at calculating overrunning flow. Overrunning flow will change the dynamic for the speed of a system. Heck, it can change a forecast quickly. Again, echoing you...its the POS NAM. :)

2 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Touche Jon! Amen to that. Besides, the NAM sucks at calculating overrunning flow. Overrunning flow will change the dynamic for the speed of a system. Heck, it can change a forecast quickly. Again, echoing you...its the POS NAM. :)

How does it handle temps? Someone said its warm also?

Archived