Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

75 miles is all we need in 4 days. 

Right. Also, noticed @90hrs the SLP is offshore about as far north as the GA/FL border, while on the 12z run it's off central FL. It seems like the precip field might actually be further NW than depicted, just looking at how much farther north the system itself is over the last few runs.

4 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

I wouldn't torture yourself watching every shift of the GFS. On the whole, this is a really solid setup for NE GA/N SC/NC and into southern VA. In a split flow pattern, the GFS often over shears these incoming STJ waves. This results in a weaker/strung out/suppressed system. It will resolve this eventually. The PJ is screaming along over the great lakes with the departing polar vortex that swings out Thursday and drags a front through the southeast. There is a really nice boundary around 850 mb's on all the models that stalls out over the southeast. To me, that will be the focus of the heaviest precip and the areas just NW of there will be the best place for accumulating snow.

Sounds great. I know a lot of folks are saying it will be NW of what the GFS shows now because it has happened before, but great to have some solid reasoning behind why it should, too.

2 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

CMC much much weaker with vort its almost squashed completely out of existence

actually may not even be considered a independent piece of energy at hour66

CMC looks like it is sticking to its guns with the full latitude trough system, so to speak (I'm just guessing from the sfc charts).  It has weaker precip this run, but some light snow from N GA / N and NW SC / a lot of NC save the SE corner

7 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

CMC much much weaker with vort its almost squashed completely out of existence

actually may not even be considered a independent piece of energy at hour66

I know that this isn't really the place for this question but it will help me follow the discussion better.  When people are analyzing maps and talking about "energy" what does it mean?  I am assuming that it is not the textbook stuff measured in joules.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

So far, it looks like the NAM is weaker/worse, GFS slightly more NW with the precip, CMC weaker and Ukie finally caving to the weaker solutions....all of this after the wave was allegedly better sampled.  Hmmm....

So much for a north shift.  Going to be tough to hold the GFS/UK/CMC from missing south.  I suspect next 36 hours it ticks sw and grazes a few places in eastern NC/SC.  Hopefully it hits southern GA before getting shunted off into the Atlantic.  

So the Euro was the first one with the supressed weaker solution a couple of days ago, it trends north along with CMC and Ukie while GFS switches positions with the Euro and now all of a sudden the CMC and Ukie seem to be trending towards a suppressed, weaker solution as well. Interesting. The Euro will be very interesting tonight.

3 minutes ago, packbacker said:

So much for a north shift.  Going to be tough to hold the GFS/UK/CMC from missing south.  I suspect next 36 hours it ticks sw and grazes a few places in eastern NC/SC.  Hopefully it hits southern GA before getting shunted off into the Atlantic.  

It stinks that we're now in the time frame when it's almost impossible for big dog scenarios to show up.  It's almost like the ingredients that create big snows for the SE can't exist inside of 120 hours.

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

It stinks that we're now in the time frame when it's almost impossible for big dog scenarios to show up.  It's almost like the ingredients that create big snows for the SE can't exist inside of 120 hours.

They can exists because they have happened before (1999 anyone), but apparently all the models have inaccuracies which tend to greatly overestimate the probability of such occurrences.  Such inaccuracies get swamped by reality inside 120 hours, therefore the vast majority of big dogs go poof. 

3 minutes ago, HWY316wx said:

The Canadian to me, looks a lot like the EURO from 2 days ago.  Light QPF and strung out.  

It is...that's the thing, the CMC and GFS are going about this in 2 separate ways....stream separation (GFS) / non stream separation (CMC).  To me, it's kind of like we are getting 'lucky' with these CMC runs.  And Euro has been with the CMC for the most part.

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Well we should feel pretty good with CMC showing 4-6" and GFS about 30 miles from that range and Euro/EPS with better runs today...But, with how progressive the pattern is it just seems like this should tick sheared and SE from here.  We would probably be complaining if we were in GFS bullseye tonight...LOL.  Going to watch GEFS come in in 15 ...

Just now, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I don't know why we even take models seriously past 4 days or so. Once you get within 3 or 4 days then that's when reality hits. Anything past 4 days is purely entertainment and not to be taken literally.

I mean, based on the CMC, it's literally 72 hours from the main precip field hitting GA....the storm itself begins to really develop at around hour 60. The storm will be fully samped within the next 12 hours...it's not nearly as far as you think now.

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Well we should feel pretty good with CMC showing 4-6" and GFS about 30 miles from that range and Euro/EPS with better runs today...But, with how progressive the pattern is it just seems like this should tick sheared and SE from here.  We would probably be complaining if we were in GFS bullseye tonight...LOL.  Going to watch GEFS come in in 15 ...

Yeah good points.  I'll hang for another 15, so let us know what you see!

Archived