Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

IMG_1071.PNG

The power of snowpack.  In my life, I have never personally experienced temps below 0 F.  If my hometown of Hope Mills (in southwest Cumberland County) goes below 0 while up in Wilson I struggle to hit the teens, I may be forced to join a monastery.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Many argue the models have gotten worse but in reality the reason for that perception is that they go so far out now.  20 years ago we had virtually nothing beyond 72 hours.  So forecasts to day 4 or 5 were strictly guesses 

Honestly sometimes I wish we could go back to the simpler time of 20 years ago. A lot less stress.

8 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Hi everyone, can we please not post the link in main threads like this to the other forum?  Do not want to spam.

Thanks.

Some weather input:

GFS PARA (2 runs old) and 00z GFS is good for GA and into Midlands of SC.  The 00z is a tad warmer and needs to be watched though.   CAE received 7 inches or so while Florence jackpots with around 8.5-9.

Is there a sharp drop off past Florence?  Use to getting ice pellets at the coast when inland gets snow

34 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

GFS and Canadian still showing 4 to 6 here,  and the GFS has been shifting NW with each run. Have to see what the Euro does next, but that would still be a solid storm. If the NW trend continues it could be even bigger.

I don't know where you got the impression that the 00Z GFS model shows 4-6 for our area.

tmp_24586-prec-59765043.png

1 minute ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

But unfortunately a lot of people see these images on social media 5+ days in advance and take them literally. I wish there was a rule that the general public including people in here couldn't see any weather model past 4 days. That way people wouldn't see these crazy model runs and get their hopes up.

I agree.  Truth is it's natural for all of us to get our hopes up...even when we might know better mentally, for as long as there's still hope, no matter how little it may be...there's still a chance.  Thus, forecasts are issued probablistically.  Even then, those forecasts can bust in either direction.  It's the nature of the science.  That said, as inexact as the science may be, forecast models are an indispensable part of weather forecasting.  It's impossible for human forecasters to calculate all the data at even a fraction of the rate that the models do today.  

With the aforementioned in mind,  the onus is on the dissiminators of the snow maps to issue a clear and highly visible disclaimer,  as well as on the consumer of said information to understand its context.

For those in North Carolina, do not despair. Climatology plays a huge role. I would MUCH RATHER see the models showing this solution, this far out, rather than further west or north. Also, the atmosphere will be JUICY. The 850's ARE RIDICULOUS. This smells like a setup for SMOOTH OVERRUNNING ala a CLASSIC North/South Carolina snowstorm, with minimal mixing. If a boundary layer sets up...WATCH OUT! The pieces are there!

Archived