joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

I would love to but I concider that cheating.. good thing I'm a Browns fan, because

1: I deal with disappointment and 2: I always hear and say "wait til next year!" 

Tracking winter storms for me is like watching a Browns game: the pieces are there and it starts out promising, but it always collapses in the end BUT there is always that miracle season (i.e. storm) looming on the Horizon...that is the best analogy as to how I feel right now 

I feel you on that one for sure. You guys down there have to have the more southern storm track or WAA in the way. Unless it's an dynamic ULL. 

1 minute ago, cg2916 said:

How realistic is it that any areas (under the ECMWF) see those higher 15:1 ratios?

Not very realistic at all, considering sleet makes it close to GSP and RDU this run. Stick with 10:1. 15:1 ratios almost never pan out unless there are unusual circumstances, like being on the northern fringe of a suppressed system.

Had to see the EURO before I could fall asleep...lol

I don't pay for the ECMWF so I too greatly appreciate the pbp.  Thanks to each one of you who provides that service for the rest of us!

As to be expected,  models are trending more towards a better consensus.   The area around Roanoke Rapids,  NC typically does well in these scenarios.   We shall see how the subsequent model suites play out.

Of course,  I'm still waiting for my 12/23-24/89 redux here in Wilmington. This isn't it! (Ha ha)  Then again,  I'm honestly just hoping for a 12"+ event for anywhere from a Charlotte/Greensboro/Raleigh/Roanoke Rapids line E or ENE from there to SE VA for a prospective chase.  At this time,  I feel there's a good probability it may very well occur.  

Ok. I'm out.  Goodnight all, and "may all your dreams be white!" :)

2 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

What about between 10:1 and 15:1  ? Is that realistic for most areas ? Like maybe 12:1 ?

If you're close to the rain/sleet/snow line it'd probably be 8:1 or so. 10:1 happens usually with temps 30-32 but there's more to it than that as well. When your 850-700mb temps are -8c to -15c you start getting very high ratio snows. 850s are -5c to -10 over NW NC/SVA and ETN. 

Not going to post the maps, but the 00z French model (Arpege) and the JMA both look to be in line with the UKMet and Euro.  Fight begins now I think for the GSP to CLT to RDU corridor to hold off temps

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?mod=jma&run=00&stn=PNM&hh=084&map=na&stn2=PNM&run2=00&mod2=arpege&hh2=084&comp=1&fixhh=1&lang=fr&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&mode=latest&stn2_type=prog&date_type=dateo

32 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

What about between 10:1 and 15:1  ? Is that realistic for most areas ? Like maybe 12:1 ?

Eurowx runs Dahlonega proper from 6:1 at the beginning to 10:1 for the majority of the precip. It keeps surface temps there at 33 through 12z Saturday, though, which would easily be cured by just slightly more elevation. But I would guess 10-12:1 for most of the event with 3-5" accumulation.

1 hour ago, griteater said:

So the Euro caved to the GFS and UKMet in that run in terms of now having the stream separation...which is a good thing for getting a good storm.  It was a very nice pass of the 500mb wave...even goes slightly neg tilt thru the Carolinas.

It matches up well I think with HickoryWx's ideas earlier.  He's had a lot of good posts over the yrs

Thanks, the euro is definitely a good hit for NC. The GFS is normally bad in these split/flow setups until we get inside of 3 days. Climo wise, the 500mb heights are very supportive of a snowstorm for most of NC north of I40. I honestly wouldn't be too worried about sleet until you get around/south of there.

My take: Euro actually trended snowier here from last run to this one. GFS rock solid with 4-5" here for 4 runs in a row with the heaviest actually south of me.. UKIE trended more suppressed. GGEM stuck to its guns for the most part with mostly snow here. I am not 100% buying the new Op Euro yet since it has been less consistent than the GFS. The Euro is not always the best model at this time range, especially if it has been not consistent. EDIT: EPS mean a bit colder than the Op run. A few members give ATL over 4". The game is still afoot for us.....

Where's Big Frosty?  I'm trending toward you big boy!  Hang in there

I right here!! Just woke up, had to take a peek! I like the looks of the Euro much better, maybe some better ratios up here make up for lack of qpf. Thanks for the pbp!!! I hope I have to eat a big plate of crow, us country folks like crow!! My cousin in Moyock NC as usual is in the jackpot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a trend to the NW with the precip - good to see Euro and GFS starting to come in line. 

From the NWS RAH disco (full text here: http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=RAH&product=AFD&issuedby=RAH):

"For now, preliminary snow amount forecast will range from 1-1.5 inches in the northwest to 2-4 inches in the southeast. Again though, the confidence in those numbers is low at this time."

Latest thinking from NWS in Raleigh.  Has initial amounts they will be going with:

Friday and Saturday: This will be the most exciting part of the
forecast, as there is a good chance we will experience the first
snow of the winter in Central NC Friday Night and Saturday. Although
the ECMWF and GFS are in fairly good agreement, there are still
significant differences in the precipitation forecasts, as the axis
of precip in the GFS is farther to the southeast than that of the
ECMWF. Even small differences in the location of the precip will
result in significant differences in precipitation amounts. As a
result, confidence in the precip onset, intensity, and amounts is
still somewhat low.

The coastal low that will bring the chance for flurries Thursday
night will move off to the northeast over the Atlantic on Friday.
The front will stall along the coast southwest through the Gulf
coast states from Friday afternoon through Saturday. A low will
develop over the Gulf late Friday and being moving northeast through
FL and off the Carolina coast through Saturday. Aloft, southwest
flow will dominate over the southeast U.S. with strong moisture
advection off the Gulf through this period. With the front to the
southeast and cold air advecting into the area from the northwest,
expect precipitation to be wintry in nature by 06Z Saturday over
much of Central NC. The thermal profiles are such that areas along
and north of the U.S. 1 corridor will be either rain (if it occurs
early enough) or snow. South and east of that corridor there could
be a mix of sleet between 03Z and 09Z. Regardless of the location,