joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cheeznado said:

BOOM! 5-6" here. It is very hard to discount how rock solid the GFS has been in Atlanta.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 10.53.51 AM.png

Agree, to much Euro hugging around here.  Granted I would prefer the Euro as I get scraped but GFS has been rock solid and this run actually ticked a hair weaker....thus no n/w trend.

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Maximum precip right over Burrel2's backyard. 

Perfectly lined up with the warm bubble at the surface!

lol, I would have to think that that much qpf would make quick work of a shallow warm boundary layer when 850's or -5C.

This has been an absolutely brutal week for me as I'm suppose to be attending a conference in Savannah this weekend. The biggest day of it is Friday and it will end at 4:30pm so my plan is to haul tail from there and make it to my house by 9pm, and hopefully not get fired for missing Saturday.

1 minute ago, burrel2 said:

Perfectly lined up with the warm bubble at the surface!

lol, I would have to think that that much qpf would make quick work of a shallow warm boundary layer when 850's or -5C.

This has been an absolutely brutal week for me as I'm suppose to be attending a conference in Savannah this weekend. The biggest day of it is Friday and it will end at 4:30pm so my plan is to haul tail from there and make it to my house by 9pm, and hopefully not get fired for missing Saturday.

Tell them you got the flu.

7 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

BOOM! 5-6" here. It is very hard to discount how rock solid the GFS has been in Atlanta.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 10.53.51 AM.png

yeah not to sound like i'm wischasting or anything but it is hard to ignore the  fact the gfs has been remarkably consistent now for quite a few runs in a row..This is the 4th run in a row showing 0.75 liquid over ga or sc...although some of that again would be rain initially in the USRV. 

gfs_apcpn_seus_14.png

Just now, packbacker said:

Agree, to much Euro hugging around here.  Granted I would prefer the Euro as I get scraped but GFS has been rock solid and this run actually ticked a hair weaker....thus no n/w trend.

I've seen the GFS fold too many times. Also, I haven't really looked at snow maps aside from this thread, but the GFS seems to be going it alone as many of the other models have a more amped solution. Not just the Euro. That said, pretty much all of the WFOs I've read over the last day seem to favor the more southern solutions so there are definitely reasons to believe the GFS has the right idea. 

2 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I've seen the GFS fold too many times. Also, I haven't really looked at snow maps aside from this thread, but the GFS seems to be going it alone as many of the other models have a more amped solution. Not just the Euro. That said, pretty much all of the WFOs I've read over the last day seem to favor the more southern solutions so there are definitely reasons to believe the GFS has the right idea. 

The NAM brought their amounts up a bit and EURO brought action back to ATL last night.  The lunch run will be interesting.  It seems the others are moving towards the GFS IMO.  It has been consistent while the others are a little rocky.

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Same overall look, but definitely sharper wave on Euro....makes a big difference....also, sharper heights there from S Kentucky to New Jersey on Euro

Yep...Euro is probably right with the sharper wave and GFS still probably a little weak...but still more worried about a miss to the SE then I am about this running up into southern GA.   I sure hope I don't have to eat those words though...:unsure:

In regards to the warm surface bubble. It is encouraging that the 60hr hi-res NAM is not pronounced with it. Normally the hi-res models pick up on these very well.  Also, it seems to have the line of warmer air shifted 30 miles to my west compared to the GFS, (sorry athens,GA), which is good for me. If you look at the wind map it shows a solid north-northeasterly breeze making quick work of it Friday evening.

Grant it, the Hi-res NAM is not perfectly aligned with the GFS synoptically so this could obviously change.

temp60.gif

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived