• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

47 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

The NAM went a long way towards the GFS, it low has 1-3" in the ATL area.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 9.45.56 AM.png

Nam has it cold enough for either all snow, or mostly snow/mix in gainesville potentially as early as 09z and 12z friday per soundings. (which is where i'll go if it doesn't look as good here).  the 12z rgem looks juicier  than the nam at 48 hours. Some of the models have been showing precip streaking out ahead in far north ga friday so something to watch out for if you are in rome, gainesville, etc. Temp wise it certainly is a lot more promising there than here in the lookout bubble. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lookout said:

I haven't had much time to post much lately but i too have been watching this closely. This is my lookout screwzone bubble in full effect. For those that aren't aware, it's when high pressure is northwest of the mountains which initially causes downslope flow and warming ahead of the system while at the same time causes an area of convergence (northeast winds over the upstate and northwest winds over ga) in the upper savannah river valley in the low levels and sometimes even as high as 850mb...which causes this area to be the very last place to get low level cold air advection. It can be absolutely maddening and can seriously screw this area...and it's happened a number of times. Some of my most painful memories of screw jobs involve heavy rain at 35 or 36 degrees while it was snowing to the east, north, and west..and even southwest...and a bubble of warm air up to 850mb sitting over me that never moved or was overcame.

The good news is that the models do eventually evaporate it (which those other events the models never did and they were right) and   that wetbulb temps are just low enough off the surface that precip falling into it should allow a changeover even though temps/dewpoints at the surface are pretty high...but should drop to 32/33 after a while.  But the bad news totals are likely to be impacted because of this. Likewise any additional warming would really hurt/delay any changeover. 

In order to avoid this, this area needs to have more high pressure to the northeast and northeast low level flow sooner ahead of the system or a stronger push of cold air from the northwest tomorrow/tomorrow night. 

Thanks for the explanation Lookout! The ScrewZone bubble you speak of also likes to park it's ugly rear over our area in far Northwestern SC and has happened numerous of times over the years. Our area normally don't do to good when the cold air is bleeding into the system while it is happening versus the cold air being in place to begin with before it happens.

5 minutes ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

Thanks for the explanation Lookout! The ScrewZone bubble you speak of also likes to park it's ugly rear over our area in far Northwestern SC and has happened numerous of times over the years. Our area normally don't do to good when the cold air is bleeding into the system while it is happening versus the cold air being in place to begin with before it happens.

yeah..i hate situations like this...very often they don't work out for us in northeast ga (along and east of a homer to athens line) and parts of the upstate. It's always much better to have established cold air in place before hand because as much as the mountains help us with cad, they screw us in situations like this hard. 

btw fwiw...the french model has been showing early precip arrival too. here is the 06z run valid 18z friday

P1_GZ_D5_PN_060_0000.gif

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

Pack, I don't buy this GFS solution here. Everything else is more amped and the NAM wasn't even as amped as it usually was, but yet shows good precip making it into VA and NC.

Franklin and I have had these arguments about the Euro v/s GFS it seems like every winter event.  In the end the Euro is usually a little to amped (just ask anyone from the NY forum what they think) and the GFS is a little to progressive.  Ultimately a blend...but wouldn't blend things until tomorrows 12z's.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived