• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

I'm feeling good about the upcoming storm, it looks like Tidewater should get a couple of inches. I'm only worried about a big NW jog because that would mean a big cut in totals and a lot of mixing. EPS has me in the bullseye but since I live in Va Beach I'm still very cautious just like local mets. NWS AKQ only went with a .5" to 2" forecast.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I like our back yards right now. 

There was some significant big dogs on the euro ensemble plots. 11 of them were 6"+.  Also, if we get one of these big dogs, I think we have the best shot at a below zero morning for the first time since 1985.

If we could fast forward to Friday morning, I would feel good with where we are, but we've got no wiggle room now with temperatures with this ticking north.  Having the GFS south is nice, but I don't know if it just won't collapse and really climb north (hope not).

19 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

I think we have a good shot at some snow.  I'm worried that this storm overall is as grit mentioned, a "late bloomer" and belongs to eastern nc/sc.  All the models kinda show that with the bullseyes way out east when the storm is in the Atlantic. For clt, we've got to get a good fetch of snow while the storm is in the gulf to our southwest and south.  Once it gets to the Atlantic, it's all the eastern counties IMO unless a deform band sets up, and there's no way to tell if we get that or not at this stage. If I'm guessing right now I'd say we're at 1-3 inches tops, unless the models start correcting.  I'd be rooting for the GFS to trend NW another 100 miles and keep the temp profiles. 

Yeah, the late blooming aspect and steady moving wave makes this look more like a light to moderate event to me instead of a biggie (in general).  The late blooming aspect is kind of good in a way for us from a temperature aspect.  An earlier ramp up with the setup could favor more warmth.

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

If we could fast forward to Friday morning, I would feel good with where we are, but we've got no wiggle room now with temperatures with this ticking north.  Having the GFS south is nice, but I don't know if it just won't collapse and really climb north (hope not).

Yeah, the late blooming aspect and steady moving wave makes this look more like a light to moderate event to me instead of a biggie (in general).  The late blooming aspect is kind of good in a way for us from a temperature aspect.  An earlier ramp up with the setup could favor more warmth.

Are you thinking this runs up or into southern GA and into SC?

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Several cycles ago, we were talking about snow in the low 20s.  Now, we're seeing more evidence of borderline temps creep in.  It's a little disconcerting to not see high pressure being modeled better as we close in.

Yep, our mortal enemies the Great lake lows are on both the EURO and Canadian. Don't know about the UKMET. 

GFS I didn't see a high to our north, but no GLL.  Gotta hope we keep the GFS temps and trend just a bit more NW. 

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Are you thinking this runs up or into southern GA and into SC?

06z JMA is already there in S GA.  Yeah, it's the JMA, but...

We'll see.  Glad the GFS is still south for now.  You and I need to root for a separated wave that gives us a storm, but one that isn't too amped.  Watch the trends over the NE too...need the heights to press out off the NE coast instead of relaxing there.

43 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

Look for the NAM to hold the energy stronger, longer in future runs.  I've seen it many times.

I agree.  I'm quite confident the next run will have a more amped up storm.  Since the wave is now faster and we're getting more ahead of the HP, this will look more like a Miller A with a SW to NE snow axis and the r/s line closer in.

27 minutes ago, griteater said:

06z JMA is already there in S GA.  Yeah, it's the JMA, but...

We'll see.  Glad the GFS is still south for now.  You and I need to root for a separated wave that gives us a storm, but one that isn't too amped.  Watch the trends over the NE too...need the heights to press out off the NE coast instead of relaxing there.

If the GFS moves to the Euro track at 12z I will start to worry...though I generally just accept that any winter storm that Raleigh gets we always mix with rain/sleet.  I don't remember the last one...boxing day maybe.

The EPS did concern me a little...definitely a NW amped look.  There were several member that we wouldn't like....

So correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't appear that there is a chance this storm phases.

With warm water temps in the gulf and SE Atlantic (70s just offshore), what are the odds that some form of bombogenesis occurs? I know that water temps are far from the only thing that goes into this, and the upper level features may not be in play, but figured I'd bring it up.

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

If the GFS moves to the Euro track at 12z I will start to worry...though I generally just accept that any winter storm that Raleigh gets we always mix with rain/sleet.  I don't remember the last one...boxing day maybe.

Pack, looks like our area is inbetween the euro (northeast sweet spot), NAM (slightly west sweet spot), and GFS (southeast sweet spot). All in all not bad but wish this was 24hrs later

2 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't appear that there is a chance this storm phases.

With warm water temps in the gulf and SE Atlantic (70s just offshore), what are the odds that some form of bombogenesis occurs? I know that water temps are far from the only thing that goes into this, and the upper level features may not be in play, but figured I'd bring it up.

I don't see any phasing over the SE at all...at best, could get a trough axis that goes slightly negative tilt.  Yes, warm gulf and atlantic waters could aid precip plume

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived