SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

It's a climo deal.  Always happens when you have a low coming from the west and dipping down into the Gulf.  48-72 hours out, a NW trend/shift will likely occur 90% of the time.  That's why you like seeing the GFS send the low to Tampa, Florida right now.  If you live NW of the current bullseye

It's a gfs bias.  I've never heard the euro having a bias to eventually bring storms NW.  Climo has nothing to do with a model bias. 

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Look at that gradient...it's usually a good sign for us.  With that gradient would have thought it would have been wetter.

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.26.10 PM.png

Pack, I will take that being almost 5 days out. Great setup for intensification imo. With a storm track like that, I would expect it to trend wetter.

Well the Euro says I'm coming west young fellow

It very well may come more northwest on the gfs but to say the euro tends to trend NW is just not factually correct. 

You also dont know me or my age.  I've been around long enough to have my share of knowledge and experience of winter events in the south. 

1 minute ago, burrel2 said:

If you take a combination of the GFS and Euro you wind up with a decent 2 to 4 inch storm for people from atlanta to GSP to Raleigh with mixing issues south of that line. That's probably the best guess you could take right now.

And really, who wouldn't take that right now? With all the guidance from the 12z model suite, I would say that is a fairly good estimate of what will happen.

Still some timing and spacing tweeks, but to me at 5h euro,can,ukmet all pretty much have the picture painted. Course those tweeks are gonna be big for everyone's micro climate, back yard. But we are seeing the consensus. I fully expect gfs to get in lock step before this time tommorrow. Then we can start trying to nail down the BL, temps,dps,exact qpf for our back yards. 

Just now, malak05 said:

Euro literally out to lunch on this one I believe...

Idk if I would say all that. Its track is pretty consistent with the foreign models. Just not lining up with what we thought the precip shield should show. I guess the only thing I can say is it doesn't go negative and allow it to explode over the gulf stream like it normally would when it does go negative. Need a stronger vort. 

1 minute ago, SnowNiner said:

Well we have the Ukie rock steady, CMC steady with significant hits.  GFS suppressed, and EURO with a decent track but just warm.  No idea where this is going.  Hoping for the Ukie at this point. 

EURO is just warm for areas south of 85 like Columbia to Fayetteville, still cold enough for CLT to RAL... bigger issue appears to be amount of moisture

Just now, Jonathan said:

Why? Any analysis to back this up besides the fact that you're from GA and you went from a solid storm to a dud?

No, Sarcasm in a friendly lil banter I do believe model runs of CMC,GFS, and even in long-range NAM last runs diverge from Temp  issues greatly and literally complaints last night was Euro OPs didn't match ensembles so probably will be vice versa today just for madness

Just now, wncsnow said:

EURO is just warm for areas south of 85 like Columbia to Fayetteville, still cold enough for CLT to RAL... bigger issue appears to be amount of moisture

And to be honest with that track which is similar to the UK, one would have to believe that more moisture would be slung back to the West.

I've got to say though, after following many storms from the EasternWx and now AmericanWx days, this probably is the one that is the most intriguing in almost every aspect - track, strength, temperature, precipitation shield, model inconsistency even within 100 hours of final outcome. I agree with Wow, it is definitely an interesting mystery even within 3-4 days.

And to be honest with that track which is similar to the UK, one would have to believe that more moisture would be slung back to the West.

It's all down to phasing and wrapping up the energy within the s/w.  So many variables with this one.  These things can be hard to catch on to until you're within 24-36 hrs.  

Archived