• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

Just now, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

And to be honest with that track which is similar to the UK, one would have to believe that more moisture would be slung back to the West.

Honestly this scenario usually plays out with an I 85 and West snowstorm and mixing issues to the East for areas like CLT, RAL.. but thats climo..

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, griteater said:

I can see where the temps would have been a little warmer on that run, but going by h5 charts, the precip should have been there like the last run.  Take a blend right now....probably a good call, but with NW trend ideas lurking as we get closer

Just now, Wow said:

It's all down to phasing and wrapping up the energy within the s/w.  So many variables with this one.  These things can be hard to catch on to until you're within 24-36 hrs.  

A bigger phase would bring it closer to the coast but also bring in colder temps alot?

3 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Lets see who wins, inside day 4 these models should have some skill at this range....hopefully one of these verify so someone gets a good snow.  Hopefully the one in the middle...

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.38.34 PM.png

That GFS map looks so wonky. Looks like there's THREE distinct "stripes" of accumulation. One in LA/MS, one in AL/GA then one in SC/NC.

Just weird looking.

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

The timing on the Euro, someone said precip from this threat was in GA or Carolinas by Friday afternoon!? Is that correct, that could be a big issue with temps!?

More like sunrise Friday start time.  Much quicker than the other models.  For GA that is.

4 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

From my perspective here in WNC I am still more worried about it missing me to my NW than to my SE....I've seen the NW trend too many times, it's made me a believer.  

No chance it missses you NW...it may hug the coast but all models generally agree on this look at day 3 and then it has to hustle to get close to a neutral tilt by the time it hits AL/MS.  

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.47.50 PM.png

2 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

I'm confused with this EURO run due to the warm temps.  The track seemed pretty much the same, so why was it warmer?  Even though other models and runs have had different tracks, they're all pretty darn cold.  In regard to temps at least this run seems all by itself. 

No cold source. HPs to the north that were modeled yesterday are gone.

3 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

I'm confused with this EURO run due to the warm temps.  The track seemed pretty much the same, so why was it warmer?  Even though other models and runs have had different tracks, they're all pretty darn cold.  In regard to temps at least this run seems all by itself. 

It was a few hours faster too.  Didn't allow the cold to get as far south before the moisture arrived.

Just now, Met1985 said:

Lol you must be smoking something because the HP is there but there is not enough space between the two waves for the cold air to work in further south.

Ok it exists, yes, but what good does it do when it's on the western side of the system? You know what I meant...there's not enough separation to allow one to setup to the north/east of the main wave.

Just now, Jonathan said:

Ok it exists, yes, but what good does it do when it's on the western side of the system? You know what I meant...there's not enough separation to allow one to setup to the north/east of the main wave.

Lol I saw you clarified that. I do think we need another her 24 hours so we have the wave onshore on the West Coast so it can be sampled better by the models. Hopefully there is more spacing between the two waves in the next 24 hours.

5 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

You'd have to compare the height contours over the NE, but the GFS presses the heights a little farther south, and also has much better stream separation between the NS trough over the Great Lakes and the wave digging into the 4 corners.  This allows more cold air to filter in behind the northern stream trough.  The 2 models have been converging with respect to the stream separation aspect, and I'd expect that to continue.  If you go back 2 days ago, the Euro was squashing the wave even more

2lqelc.gif

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

You'd have to compare the height contours over the NE, but the GFS presses the heights a little farther south, and also has much better stream separation between the NS trough over the Great Lakes and the wave digging into the 4 corners.  This allows more cold air to filter in behind the northern stream trough.  The 2 models have been converging with respect to the stream separation aspect, and I'd expect that to continue.  If you go back 2 days ago, the Euro was squashing the wave even more

Thanks Grit, 12Z seems all alone on those aspects.  Hopefully ensembles will be colder and colder on future EURO runs.  Makes me very nervous with the EURO not on board, even though the Ukie is my#2 and it's still a go. 

Archived