• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

2 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the "Golden Axis" sets up along a band from Atlanta to Athens to lower Upstate to Charlotte to RDU.

I remember a storm in March several years back that gave Atlanta more snow than the northern burbs which was unusual. This may be that type of storm but could easily trend north a bit which still would be good for the city.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I'm aware its not terribly unusual in classic snow setups for ATL to be to far north. 

Oh it's definitely happened before...wasn't there one snowstorm that hit Macon with like 15 inches of snow where Atlanta barely got like 2-4 inches? Even in the Feb 2010 storm, areas to the South got more snow. I just don't believe the storm will track that far south. Atlanta at least based on the GFS has some wiggle room.

3 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the "Golden Axis" sets up along a band from Atlanta to Athens to lower Upstate to Charlotte to RDU.

Now why would that be LOL. 

I'm puling for the same!  Really like where we sit ATM.  Just keep the s/w a tad stronger than modeled, and we're golden here.

Just now, LovingGulfLows said:

Oh it's definitely happened before...wasn't there one snowstorm that hit Macon with like 15 inches of snow where Atlanta barely got like 2-4 inches? Even in the Feb 2010 storm, areas to the South got more snow. I just don't believe the storm will track that far south. Atlanta at least based on the GFS has some wiggle room.

Yeah people have posted about it here before.  I was also in ATL in 91 or 92 when the airport got about 4-6 but the north side of town saw nothing.

8 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Number of times in the years I've been on this board (and the old Wright Weather days) when the GFS showed a suppressed system that ended up trending north: Lots.

Number of times in the years I've been on this board when the GFS showed a system too warm/north and it trended south: Never.

People: this is where you want to be if you live in ATL/GSP/CLT/RDU.

happy new year! couldn't be more right, skip.

1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Feb 78? Or around then CAE crusher??

9 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Number of times in the years I've been on this board (and the old Wright Weather days) when the GFS showed a suppressed system that ended up trending north: Lots.

Number of times in the years I've been on this board when the GFS showed a system too warm/north and it trended south: Never.

People: this is where you want to be if you live in ATL/GSP/CLT/RDU.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. Just a little disheartening seeing the good hits going further south and east.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

UKMet at 96

2i176e.gif

That's roughly all 3 globals have held overnight...though we need the intermediate panels of the UK to really confirm.  Getting some consensus.  Not sure what would be worse to be sitting where we are or if all three were more NW considering were 84 hours before this starting.

1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

There was also the bowling ball ULL in March 2009 where the South and east sides of the city got plastered and the northsides largely got blanked, but that's a fairly rare and unique situation.

The lack of a major block this time around may allow this to tick north inside 60-72.  I would not be surprised if we see models continue a slight dip south through the next 36 hours before small north adjustments happen.

It would be interesting to track for the future the NW forecast jog of these systems. It would be helpful to know how much possible movement one could expect at a certain forecast hour. It would be interesting to record the model output of the SLP at certain hours by model and the actual verified position. If someone could point me out a good place to find this data of model outputs and actual locations, I could keep a GIS file of systems.

I will say that if we don't get much snow in the Upstate/WNC, it would be awesome for some further South brethren in the Midlands and Lowcountry to jackpot, as well as the E NC and GA crew!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Cheeznado said:

Atlanta would be shut down early next week if we get 4" or even 2"- very cold air follows, lows in the teens and highs not above 32 until Tuesday? Ouch.

As long as the sun comes out during the day which it looks like it would, should get melting.  Its the late night and early mornings that would be an issue.

1 minute ago, odell.moton said:

Huh that's awfully north I thoughts it's been trending south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GFS has...well the past 3 GFS runs have been relatively consistent.  The CMC and UK have been consistent for 2 runs now...will see about the Euro.

Archived