• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

Just now, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

And all of a sudden GSP will love/hug the GFS while dismissing the more northern/stronger CMC/UK/Euro.  Entertaining to watch.

I feel like this is somewhat typical of GFS, only to have it grow more ominous as we approach game time. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall correctly, NC was in the same boat with the Christmas storm of 2010. It wasn't until about 2-3 days out one model latched onto a phase thus bringing the system back to the North quite a bit turning a non event into a big event.

I know it has been harped on but I think we won't know if there will be a phase until it is properly sampled. Just seems that in the past that has usually been the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

There's just no amplification with the wave on the GFS....it's one run of many.  Ensemble members show various scenarios of more squashed vs more amped

starting to get into the time frame where this starts ticking NW a little at a time, from my experience.

Just now, wncsnow said:

Well the deep south has really suffered the past few years with little to no snow.. I wouldnt be too upset if the GFS verified

Just now, Cheeznado said:

ME LIKE:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 11.05.44 AM.png

This will start a NW movement most likely, starting to get into that time frame.

Number of times in the years I've been on this board (and the old Wright Weather days) when the GFS showed a suppressed system that ended up trending north: Lots.

Number of times in the years I've been on this board when the GFS showed a system too warm/north and it trended south: Never.

People: this is where you want to be if you live in ATL/GSP/CLT/RDU.

I like where the GFS is right now. It seems to me that it didn't shift any further south this run, unlike the past 4 runs, which is good news. If the other models hold this suite and the GFS starts trending NW over the next few runs, I'd be very happy.

That said, if I'm going to miss out on a storm, I'd rather it be due to suppression. At least that means somebody with even worse chances of seeing snow is getting a nice storm.

Just now, AirNelson39 said:

If I recall correctly, NC was in the same boat with the Christmas storm of 2010. It wasn't until about 2-3 days out one model latched onto a phase thus bringing the system back to the North quite a bit turning a non event into a big event.

I know it has been harped on but I think we won't know if there will be a phase until it is properly sampled. Just seems that in the past that has usually been the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my feeling exactly. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I have never seen a 500mb vort map like that play out in reality. The two SW's wont phase  as much as the GFS is depicting and the second wave will have greater amplitude. I find it extremely hard to believe a LP realistically takes that path.  

2 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the "Golden Axis" sets up along a band from Atlanta to Athens to lower Upstate to Charlotte to RDU.

NW trend puts us in he jackpot.  Rarely we end up on the northern edge with time to kill before the event.  Looks good for ATL but we all know how fast the carpet can be pulled from underneath us. E

Archived