Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind the tropical tidbit maps for the NAM do not distinguish between snow/sleet/zr so what you see as "snow" may be in fact sleet or zr. What the maps are useful for is showing whether it's trending colder or not. Increases in the "snow" totals reflect either higher qpf and/or colder temps aloft. When comparing the 00z vs 18z nam it in fact did trend higher with the totals. 

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

The NAM is the lowest total model for RDU and still shows 6 to 7 inches there. 

Brick, have you not paid attention to the NW shift?  I'm obviously still a novice at reading these maps but to me that appears to be a no brainer. It looks like we are right on the line of rain and snow. There is no way we are going to get 4 to 7 inches of snow.  Everyone else who lives in the triangle seems to be accepting fact that we are going to get mostly rain and sleet but yet you somehow  you are still clinging on to those crazy totals.  I wish I could be more positive but unfortunately I think I need  to be more realistic.  

4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I'm trying not to argue with you. We still have a couple more runs left. The models at least for us have been all over the place and rock steady pretty much for other areas. We try to look at every negative movement or positive movement we can. Sorry for hoping we get some snow in the mountains. 

I believe fountainguy was directing his post towards someone else who said the LP shifted NW when it actually didn't. We all want to see snow but one thing I've learned that really helps is to separate the emotions of what I want vs what I want to see. It helps prevent getting let down and leads to better expectations as well. 

Overall I expect tonight and tomorrow we see a tick SE tonight and tomorrow as models lock in on the transition zone, timing, strength of the vort and adjust accordingly. Most storms I've ever tracked always have a "jackpot" zone 72 hours out, they shift NW about 30-48 hours out then go back SE within 24 hours of the event. So far this trend is taking place again and lends credence to the GFS. I hope it's right because it's a nice snow for about everyone in NC. 

2 minutes ago, MississippiWx said:

Thanks. I was thinking so too because we are only supposed to transition to snow at the very end. I'm concerned our ice accumulation could be more than expected? 

Yes, tropical tidbits maps count ice as snow accumulations.  Us folks in the NE/Mid Atlantic know this issue all too well

1 minute ago, burrel2 said:

Lord have mercy, I'm gonna have a heart attack looking at this!!! Rgem is suppose to be good with thermal profiles right??? BOOM!!!!

I_nw_EST_2017010600_031.png

Holy cow! I think one of the Mets, hickory weather or snow goose, said rgem was a good clos range model!? I think it does do well with upper air temps!?

Just now, DopplerWx said:

rgem looks like all snow for rdu, great to see after the nightmareish run of the nam.

RGEM has precip getting to CLT by 2pm tomorrow.  Not sure about temps yet...want to see thicknesses and 850's, it has to be warmer then 18z run with deeper low.

5 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

Brick, have you not paid attention to the NW shift?  I'm obviously still a novice at reading these maps but to me that appears to be a no brainer. It looks like we are right on the line of rain and snow. There is no way we are going to get 4 to 7 inches of snow.  Everyone else who lives in the triangle seems to be accepting fact that we are going to get mostly rain and sleet but yet you somehow  you are still clinging on to those crazy totals.  I wish I could be more positive but unfortunately I think I need  to be more realistic.  

I guess if you discount all the other models and how rock steady the GFS and GEFS have been. But seems like some always look for the worst case every time and discount all the other models. RGEM looks great, too.

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

I guess if you discount all the other models and how rock steady the GFS and GEFS have been. But seems like some always look for the worst case every time and discount all the other models.

The rock steady RGEM just moved the rain/snow line northwest.  And so will the rock steady GFS and the rock steady CMC and the rock steady European in just a little bit.

Lord have mercy, I'm gonna have a heart attack looking at this!!! Rgem is suppose to be good with thermal profiles right??? BOOM!!!! 18z Image on bottom for comparison...

I_nw_EST_2017010600_031.png

I_nw_EST_2017010518_037.png

Burrel, Rgem has done really well in our neck of the woods the last couple years, especially with CAD events. Definitely stands out in my mind how well it does with thermal profiles from when Lookout called that CAD event that FFC was late sounding the alarm on. I remember the RGEM doing a much better job than other guidance with temps.

That particular frame looks awesome, especially for me in the Pendleton area.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The SLP track  exiting the gom off the se coast is the whole key now. Gfs has consistently been off shore through the gom and exiting stage right central florida coast. Hence why its been able to keep everyone colder. It's been on a island imo with the deepest track. Ukie and now every model has the SLP tracking  tight along gulf coast and exiting jax north into atlantic. Interested to see gfs track of SLP here in a few minutes. That track effects everything. 

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived