joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UpstateSCBud said:

No doubt WYFF is in CYA mode. I said back when they blew that 8-12" forecast a couple years ago that theyd never predict that high of totals ever again.

1 minute ago, UpstateSCBud said:

No doubt WYFF is in CYA mode. I said back when they blew that 8-12" forecast a couple years ago that theyd never predict that high of totals ever again.

That really was a bummer, the warm nose almost always over performs around here

10 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Good thing about these deeper further NW track is more QPF so that could help overcome some mixing.  But I do think we mix.  If we verbatim get what the RGEM/CMC/GFS or even NAM I don't think the Triangle will be to disappointed.  But, it's got to stop shift NW.

Exactly. If the NW trend stops right now, I could well jackpot and get 6-8" of snow. But if it continues, who knows what will happen.

31 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Well even the inferno that is the 12km NAM is all frozen for Raleigh.  We will have to fight warm nose, that's a give but hopefully we can jack with a ton of QPF.prec.png

This actually makes me feel better lol. My main concern is I just want the ground decently covered and everything winter like. What kind of ratios do you get with sleet anyways 

8 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Fischel just conceded the 850 line will not move southeast of Wake county until after 7am Saturday.  Signaling game over for lots of snow accumulation in Raleigh if you ask me.

I should know better than to think that we can beat Climo around here. I don't know when I am going to learn.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The RGEM is FZRAPL in ATL from 00-03Z.  Not sure about FZRA because I don't see a sounding where the surface below freezing layer is under 2500ft deep which is usually too deep for FZRA

Agree. Sleet to snow (maybe beginning as a bit of plain rain) seems likely. 03Z seems like a good changeover time in the city proper, but whoever can stay just north of the sleet area will get pummeled.

2 minutes ago, mckinnonwg said:

Snowmaggedon in ATL screwed forecasting snow events.  Everybody is afraid to state a total or to even dare say nothing will happen.

That explains the behavior out at FFC. Make sure everyone thinks and prepares for the worst, even if there is only a sliver of a chance of it happening.

1 minute ago, weatherfide said:

That explains the behavior out at FFC. Make sure everyone thinks and prepares for the worst, even if there is only a sliver of a chance of it happening.

Their forecast is not out of line at all given the GFS forecast- 3-5" seems very doable in this case. This is coming from someone that is often very critical of their forecasts.

Just now, Cheeznado said:

Their forecast is not out of line at all given the GFS forecast- 3-5" seems very doable in this case. This is coming from someone that is often very critical of their forecasts.

Do you think they will shave off the accumulations south of the airport to account for the predominant sleet precip type? The call map was issued at 1 pm., and honestly, the models haven't changed a whole lot since then...

7 minutes ago, weatherfide said:

that actually might be one of the more mind boggling comments i've seen here in a long time...well right behind the person you were responding too

0z GFS came in very much to my liking I posted earlier this evening before it came out. Believe there will be three main swaths of a Trace to 2"...with potential screw jobs for some. This is the equivalent of a very light passing shower with lots of precip not hitting the ground combined with the main development developing east-south-east of these locals. Some of these areas will not see any snow fall at all if you are not awake extremely early Saturday morning.

*The screw job potential is based on dry air, convection disrupting moisture flow, unfavorable development/movement of precipitation, and other local micro issues around MTNS.

15826255_161581470992228_571889043210096

28 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Just N/NE of the perimeter up I-85  the NE mountains. if you are in Cumming you could be in a very good area.....

agreed. thinking ne burbs of atlanta, to lawrenceville to jefferson/commerce back to lula then back down to sugar hill/essentially the 985 corridor. . Most likely the i85 corridor will be the big winner northeast of there...but i'm just throwing a *** in there just in case surface temps don't cool...which i actually think they will. In fact the gfs has an all snow profile even here by 03z and i'm well south of there. It's odd though, the nam has that warm nose but is colder down to 950 to 975mb while the gfs is warmer at 950mb to 975mb but colder aloft. Figures. 

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

that actually might be one of the more mind boggling comments i've seen here in a long time...well right behind the person you were responding too

LOL...yeah, I guess so...Should be fun to verify. I'd think about 1" of sleet and 1.75" of snow for Fayetteville, GA is a realistic expectation here.

It's an interesting dilemma.  On one hand, the hi res models could simply be too amped with the wave, we've seen that before.  On the other hand, the globals may not be amped quite enough.  Take an RGEM/GFS/Euro blend.  On the NAM, yes it is good with thermals, especially with cold air damming, but if it doesn't have 500mb and 850mb correct, you can't use the thermals.  Euro should offer some help.  On the precip, the GFS/RGEM/GGEM have all come into agreement with more of a uniform blossoming of the precip shield across most of the Carolinas and back toward ATL and south of there, which I believe looks more correct now.  Though it took it a while to get here, the GGEM has, I feel, a representative look of the precip shield, save the fact that it could be overdone as tends to be the case with model QPF.

207rgg6.gif

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived